|07-27-2011, 05:48 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2011
Technical questions on How to Give Away eBooks to Selected Readers
But I also want to offer free copies to subscribers to my blog. I don't want to make them generally available for free. Rather, when each book comes out, I'll notify my readers they can choose what format they want and download a copy.
- What is the best mechanism for offering free eBooks to a selected audience? Download from a hidden page on my website? Or from an e-commerce site? Some other site?
- If my subcribers download it this way, is it complicated for the regular person with no technical skills to then get it onto their Kindle or IPad or whatever?
- I've heard that Kindle etc. trawl the internet for prices on eBooks and will lower prices to match the lowest. If I'm trying to sell them on Amazon, I don't want them being given away there. So: Do I need to do the giveaway before it is published by Amazon, Apple, etc. etc.? That is, give them away only as advanced copies?
- Am I missing something here?
[Self-Promotional material deleted - MODERATOR]
Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-18-2011 at 03:18 PM.
|07-27-2011, 06:08 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura
I think the easiest thing to do is to keep the file on your website (or host it somewhere else), and provide a download link not on your website, but via email.
|07-27-2011, 07:17 PM||#3|
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Ditto what pigeon said. If your email subscription numbers are high, you might want to use a free file host service, to save on your site's bandwidth.
I think you can do password-protected posts on wordpress, which your site looks to be on, if that appeals to you.
On sites where I've seen this, the post won't be entirely invisible (the content of the post won't appear without the password, but people without the password will still see the title of the post). It would say something like 'Password protected post: Free download of x book'.
You'll probably get better feedback on the logistics of uploading to vendors in the author section of this forum. I could be wrong, but I think you can't have a permanent $0.00 price on Amazon and B&N.
|07-27-2011, 07:53 PM||#4|
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sprague River, Oregon
Smashwords gives coupon codes for any percent off or free. Whatever expiration date you set. Used tactfully, I don't think it has any effect on Amazon pricing.
|07-27-2011, 08:15 PM||#5|
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: Nook Color
1) A link on your site that you have to login with one of the selected accounts to use (prbly best option)
2) Coupon on Smashwords
3) A link to a dropbox, SkyDrive or other free file host that you email out
4) Get snail mail address and and email cd's with your collections on them (hey it IS an option... )
5) A password protected link, and then email out that password and link to your selected audience.
Thats at least what I think of off top of my head. I like #1 best because it could discourage people form posting the link some place, while any of the other methods people could do that extremely easily.
|07-27-2011, 11:49 PM||#6|
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tampa FL
Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
If you have there email address you could just email it to them and not have to pay for any bandwith.
|free books, giveaways|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Technical Questions about Dictionaries...||PrinceOfBabylon||Workshop||5||01-02-2011 06:04 PM|
|Free short (Lesbian) story + 20% off selected LGBT ebooks this weekend only||eric11210||Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)||0||12-17-2010 05:55 PM|
|PRS-600 PRS-600 Questions about Technical PDF's||plim||Sony Reader||5||10-05-2009 08:53 PM|
|Please Don't Ask NowNow technical questions about the Kindle||rocky1938||Amazon Kindle||16||02-19-2008 11:47 AM|
|eBooks.com 20% discount in selected categories||Alexander Turcic||Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)||0||09-25-2007 07:06 AM|