Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
listgoddess
listgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle and Nook
Cadfael is an acquired taste, but if you majored in medieval history and English, it's a gourmet feast. And the best part is that the depictions of daily life and court and church politics is very accurate.
listgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
Oh, They're OK, They don't excite me as a great read, but they can pass the time. I've never seen the TV series, but I have a hard time seeing Derek Jacobi as Cadfael. In my mind, I always sort of saw Edward G Robinson or Bob Hoskins (actually MY Cadfael was a blend of the two). A tough guy who gave it all up for something he valued more.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
listgoddess
listgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-bookslistgoddess has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle and Nook
I don't care for Jacoby as Cadfael either. He's a good actor but wrong for the part. Hoskins would have been good. The late, lamented Richard Burton would have been perfect for the part, and he was Welsh too.
listgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.cearbhallain is no e-book dilettante.

Device: nook
Ellis Peters also wrote straight historical fiction under her real name, Edith Pargeter. She's pretty respected in terms of historical accuracy and I find these books much more enjoyable than the Cadfael's. It isn't that they're better in any other way than they're not mysteries - I hate mystery novels. In that respect, I liked the Jacobi series. Mysteries make better tv shows than books as far as I'm concerned. I also loved the Dresden Files series but found the books to be unmitigated bores
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Any idea why the ebook availability seems to be so scattershot (in the US, anyway) on these? I can find NOs:1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 16, 19, 20 ... etc. Just seems odd that they would skip about like that.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #21
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I very much enjoy them, and have them all in paper. I would definitely buy the eBooks if they became available.
Looks like you're in luck - the kindle versions are available at amazon.co.uk:

Morbid Taste For Bones

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Any idea why the ebook availability seems to be so scattershot (in the US, anyway) on these? I can find NOs:1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 16, 19, 20 ... etc. Just seems odd that they would skip about like that.
I'd guess it has to do with the publisher more than anything. I don't have any facts to support that, but it seems logical. Why they do things like that is another question entirely of course.
crich70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Quote:
I don't think the books, as I remember them, are really a series - there's not much plot or character development. It may be that the publisher has chosen the most popular ones to release first.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I don't think the books, as I remember them, are really a series - there's not much plot or character development. It may be that the publisher has chosen the most popular ones to release first.
That's certainly plausible (if a bit annoying on their part).

As a public service to those above who indicated an interest in getting the ebooks when they became available, I thought I'd make a few comments on the general quality of the first book (from Amazon -- Velmon Books Pty Ltd, July 7, 2005)...

All paragraphs are indented AND there's a space (the equivalent of one line) between all paragraphs.

It was created and/or converted with calibre. It looks like it might have been an earlier version as I noticed the fairly rare occurrence of a backward closing quote (the punctuation was "smartened") when it followed an mdash character/entity. I haven't noticed that in more recent implementations of calibre's "smarten" routines. Still, there were maybe three occurrences of the reversed closing quote in the entire book.

I've picked up on two typos in the first half of the book (they don't appear to be your typical "scanno" errors so it's possible they were in the print version, too).

One broken paragraph encountered in the first half.

I have no print version to compare to, but I'm assuming the original contained distinct "scene-breaks." If so, those visual breaks are missing in the ebook--making for some awkward reading at times.

I've seen far, far worse--and at $4.99... I'm not feeling all that trampled on, oppressed, or taken advantage of.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
My parents lived for many years in Shrewsbury, and my father was active in the local Wildlife Trust based just across from Shrewsbury Abbey (or the remains there-of).

The Wildlife Trust did at one point have a Cadfael Discovery Center but I'm not sure it still exists.

For anyone who is interested, see http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/...-list-2013.pdf for details of an upcoming Edith Pargeter weekend.

I believe it was Thomas Telford had some of the ruins of the Abbey demolished to allow construction of the A5 road.

PS: If anyone does go and attends any of the sessions at the Wildlife Trust, remember my father David Eric Thomas and all the pleasure he had working there.
PeterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My parents lived for many years in Shrewsbury, and my father was active in the local Wildlife Trust based just across from Shrewsbury Abbey (or the remains there-of).

The Wildlife Trust did at one point have a Cadfael Discovery Center but I'm not sure it still exists.

For anyone who is interested, see http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/...-list-2013.pdf for details of an upcoming Edith Pargeter weekend.

I believe it was Thomas Telford had some of the ruins of the Abbey demolished to allow construction of the A5 road.
Shrewsbury Abbey has a stained-glass window showing scenes from Brother Cadfael, and dedicated to Edith Pargeter. The Abbey benefits from royalties on the sale of all her books.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Win 7 Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Me too! Her other books are rather epic.
Here, here! I'd buy The Heaven Tree Trilogy and The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet in a heart beat.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It appears things have actually gone the OTHER direction as of late. Seems I can no longer find any (English) ebook versions in the US. Spanish and German versions abound, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
It appears things have actually gone the OTHER direction as of late. Seems I can no longer find any (English) ebook versions in the US. Spanish and German versions abound, though.
What the heck?! I bought all that were then-currently available just six weeks or so ago via Amazon, and you're right, they're gone now. I was hoping the missing volumes would be coming available soon. How aggravating!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
They don't appear to be available on Amazon UK either.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote