Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
eggzorcist
eggzorcist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch is less sharp and less dark

Is it normal that whenever I turn the pages, the text become less sharp and less dark until refresh?
eggzorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Yes, unfortunately. It is less noticeable with some fonts, I think. If it bothers you, try decreasing the number of page turns before refresh.

Also, is your Kobo up-to-date? I think it has improved somewhat with the firmware updates.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Yes, that is normal unless you set the page refresh rate to 1 page. i.e. tap middle of screen then select Options Menu>Advanced Settings
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Addict
the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Frankly, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want the screen to refresh with every page turn.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Battery life.

I have mine set to refresh every 6 turns. It doesn't bother me at all while reading either way.

Different fonts work differently of course. I have one where the letters are fairly thick. Some people use perma-bold font.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
DizzC
Enthusiast
DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Frankly, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want the screen to refresh with every page turn.
I imagine its because the black flash is distracting to some. I have mine set to refresh every 3 pages and I barely even notice it unless I'm reading outside in the sun. For whatever reason I seem to notice the page refresh a lot more when I'm outdoors.
DizzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Others (sold), Sony Tablet S, iPad Mini, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Battery life.

I have mine set to refresh every 6 turns. It doesn't bother me at all while reading either way.

Different fonts work differently of course. I have one where the letters are fairly thick. Some people use perma-bold font.
Yes, mine is set to 6 pages as well. Using a bold font.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Because the flashing black of the full-screen refresh is *VERY* irritating when it happens on every page (which is why I got the Touch rather than the Wi-Fi - that feature alone is worth much of the extra $30...).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
the.Mtn.Man
Addict
the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.the.Mtn.Man can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Battery life.
I can't imagine a full screen refresh uses significantly more battery power than a partial screen refresh.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because the flashing black of the full-screen refresh is *VERY* irritating when it happens on every page (which is why I got the Touch rather than the Wi-Fi - that feature alone is worth much of the extra $30...).
Curious. I don't find the full screen refresh any more visually distracting than turning the page of an actual book, and since it happens regularly and predictably, I've found that my mind effectively blanks it out and I don't even consciously notice it. I actually find a refresh after every X pages more distracting because it becomes an anomaly.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
I can't imagine a full screen refresh uses significantly more battery power than a partial screen refresh.
I'm no expert on the matter, but my guess is that it is simply because it takes power to change the shade of a pixel. When the Kobo doesn't do a full refresh, it only "clears" the necessary pixels, leaves alone the necessary pixels, and then darkens the necessary pixels for the text of the new page. That is always fewer pixel flips than shading the whole screen, then clearing out the pixels to show the text of the new page.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
I'm no expert on the matter, but my guess is that it is simply because it takes power to change the shade of a pixel. When the Kobo doesn't do a full refresh, it only "clears" the necessary pixels, leaves alone the necessary pixels, and then darkens the necessary pixels for the text of the new page. That is always fewer pixel flips than shading the whole screen, then clearing out the pixels to show the text of the new page.
Yes, it no doubt uses less energy, but I can't imagine the difference is substantial.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Well, it's probably in the ballpark of 50% savings per page, or even better, because a full page "wipe" would at least flip the pixels of the space between lines and between letters, and also the entire margin all around the page. All those pixel changes wouldn't happen with the non-refresh page turn.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Addict

Well whatever the difference is, it's well worth it in my opinion to have sharp, ghost-free text page after page.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: HTC Desire w/Aldiko, Kobo Touch
There is a reduction in power consumption with partial refreshes, but it's not significant. I believe the primary reason for using it is page turn speed.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
I have it refresh every 6 pages.
I do see some ghosting if I look reall yclose, but when just reading, it causes no problems, so I've just left it at every 6 pages, which I believe is the default.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote