Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch
Reading news from Calibre on Kobo Touch

I haven't bought a Kobo Touch yet, but I am close to making my purchase.

If you've downloaded news using Calibre and then pushed the news to your KT for reading, please let me know what you think of the overall experience and how reading news formatted in Calibre looks and functions on the KT.

I have used Calibre for over a year and currently read news downloaded using Calibre on my Android devices. I am wondering if the navigation, TOC, formatting, etc. are similar on the KT

Thanks
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
It works ok for reading the stories themselves, but the TOC navigation is a bit awkward. After reading a story you have to go back to the TOC and page ahead to where you were to find the next story you want to read. As you get further into it, it gets less and less convenient. It would work a lot better if there was a 1-click return to exactly where you were in the TOC.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
exNookie

Or a news reading app or similar functionality that downloads news from free sources that the user can choose and save to a profile.

Thanks for your reply. Is it worth it for news in your opinion or do you find you just read news on some other device?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I tried it a few times, then went back to reading the news on my computer in the morning rather than getting Calibre to put it on the KT. I'm on the fence about it - it's usable, but not really convenient as it stands. But I would definitely use it if I were leaving on a trip and didn't have time to read the news before heading out, for example.

I can understand why it works a little better on the Kindle 3G, where the news shows up without having to transfer it as you do with Calibre. And as I said, a 1-click TOC that keeps up with where you are would make it a lot easier to navigate.

Last edited by FJames; 07-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Probably not where you're wanting to go, but if the news you are looking for is available it might be worth paying for a subscription. To me it works really well on the KT. They haven't added functionality for it to automatically download (the way it did on the Wifi) but it's one touch and it's there in an easy to use format. If you do take the plunge on the Kobo I think they still have free 2 week trial subscriptions you might want to check out.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
exNookie

It's tough paying for news when there are so many good free sources out there. Some of the news apps I have used on Android and seen on the iPad offer free content where available and then provide the paid for content once the user has entered his/her subscription info.

If I was a loyal ready of one publication then I would for sure pay for it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
hagerdoc
hagerdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom, iPad
I had used calibre to download The New York Times, The Washington, Time, Newsweek, and several others to read on my Sony Reader. It was slow and a bit cumbersome, but the end product was readable and navigable. I just got a Kobo Touch a few weeks ago and purchased a subscription to a magazine. It took a bit to get the Touch to download the subscription, but with the help of some forum members, it works now.

I have also used Calibre with the Kobo Touch and it is just as easy as the Sony.

The end product from Calibre is not all that different from my purchased subscription, but the purchased one is not too expensive - $1.49 per month - and much more convenient. Formatting from Calibre is very similar to my purchased subscription, and the hyperlinks in Calibre for main menu, section menu, etc. at the end of each article are functional. I can't see a major difference in navigation.
hagerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote