Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Clip Sport, jetBook Lite
Audiobooks on the rise

WSJ article about the growing popularity of audiobooks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
WSJ article about the growing popularity of audiobooks.
My nephew listened to his summer reading books this year, rather than read them. I suspect that's not quite what the school had in mind when they assigned the books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My nephew listened to his summer reading books this year, rather than read them. I suspect that's not quite what the school had in mind when they assigned the books.
My youngest son also listened instead of "read". Not a single teacher cared. So many kids didn't do anything they were just happy when the books were consumed.
Now watching a movie of the book on the other hand, that didn't fly with them. But audio books were always fine. Unabridged of course.
My son still does most of his 'for fun' reading with audio books.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How would the teacher know if a student listened instead of read?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin4; Kin7; Clip Zip; Fire HDX8; Fire HD6; SGT 4; Fire Phone; Moto E2
Quote:
The students probably told the teacher.

If I was in school these days, I'd make a point of telling the teacher that I listened to the book, instead of reading it. I was a rebellious monkey in high school. If audiobooks were readily available back in the 60's, I would've gone that route. I even turned in book reports based on Classics Illustrated comics.

I hated assigned reading because most of it was literature I didn't care for; like Hemingway, Maugham, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Steinbeck, Lawrence, Buck, Wilder, James, Mailer, etc.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
gurion
gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
It seems, listening to audiobook takes longer than actually reading it.
gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Phone & Fire 10
This is Why this Generation Wont know how to Read... Sad
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM   #8
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
It depends on how they listen. If they multitask while listening, odds are they won't retain it as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #9
Catlady
Wizard

They wouldn't necessarily retain it well even if they read it.

Unless it's a matter of recognizing some odd spelling of a name they've only heard, I don't see how anyone would know if the kid listened to an audiobook, based on any test of comprehension.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I find I retain audiobooks better than reading. I'm really starting to prefer listening to reading, I can do something else while listening.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #11
Catlady
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I find I retain audiobooks better than reading. I'm really starting to prefer listening to reading, I can do something else while listening.
I definitely prefer listening to reading, partly because my work life consists of staring at a screen all day, and listening is a break from that.

If I needed to retain information, I think I would still want to see the text, underline it, and make notes, probably in conjunction with listening.