Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Unbricking for dummies

OK so I installed Chainfire3d 2.8 and now my PE won't boot. I've tried reverting to ermine and I've tried doing the factory restore (with dingo). Doing either shows the "updating" screen for about five seconds and then nothing.. it just hangs on the Pocket eDGe boot screen for about 10-15 minutes and then goes blank.

This may have something to do with my renaming my phone.apk and telephony.apk files. I didn't think Chainfire would brick this because others have installed it without problems.

I was reading the other unbricking thread and they mentioned restoring the build.prop file and while I don't think that is the case with me, I'd like to at least find a way to access the phone/telephony.apk files and rename them. Maybe it'll take a restore once I do that.

I can connect the USB to my PC and it shows two drives on my PE but I cannot access them (please insert disk type message). So where do I go from here? How do I access the file system on my PE?
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
you will want to install the android sdk to get the adb tools on your pc, you can get it all from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

once you've got that installed, open up a command prompt(windows button+R then type cmd.exe), then navigate to the folder that the android sdk installed to then go to the platform tools folder(all within the command prompt, you can use cd to change directories and dir to list the directories in the current folder). Once there connect your edge and type "adb devices" and let me know what it says.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Try this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143035
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

WHOA! KENNY! Thanks for that link! It's not working yet but it's actually taking the time to copy files now! I made some progress at least!

So it looks like I have to wait for it to time out (20-30 min) and then apply the update again and then it should be reverted back to factory!

I'll let you guys know soon! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
MasterTec
Connoisseur

EMU it came up blank. It would pause for a few seconds then show LIST OF DEVICES: and then be blank after that.

From what I was reading in the thread Kenny linked to it looks like something changed and the UPDATE file didn't recognize the PE as the correct hardware anymore. I don't know if that's because of the video driver or because of me deleting the PHONE/TELEPHONY.apk.. <shrug> I'm just not knowledgeable with droid (and BARELY knowledgeable with Linux).

So apparently applying a modified UPDATE with the hardware checks removed is doing the trick. At least it's hung on "updating software" instead of just flashing that screen real quick and then getting hung on the boot screen now.

I have to say that I agree.. it's pretty asinine for entourage to have not included any kind of recovery mode with things. I understanding that rooting and all this is risky but come on, what did they expect? I guess that's a big part of the reason why they went under, huh?
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
EMU it came up blank. It would pause for a few seconds then show LIST OF DEVICES: and then be blank after that.

From what I was reading in the thread Kenny linked to it looks like something changed and the UPDATE file didn't recognize the PE as the correct hardware anymore. I don't know if that's because of the video driver or because of me deleting the PHONE/TELEPHONY.apk.. <shrug> I'm just not knowledgeable with droid (and BARELY knowledgeable with Linux).

So apparently applying a modified UPDATE with the hardware checks removed is doing the trick. At least it's hung on "updating software" instead of just flashing that screen real quick and then getting hung on the boot screen now.

I have to say that I agree.. it's pretty asinine for entourage to have not included any kind of recovery mode with things. I understanding that rooting and all this is risky but come on, what did they expect? I guess that's a big part of the reason why they went under, huh?
did you end up modifying the file yourself or did you download my pre-modified one?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
MasterTec
Connoisseur

I downloaded the pre-modified one. I got impatient trying to figure out what to edit in the file.

It's still hanging at the updating screen right now. Just waiting the 20-30 minutes or so...
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
I downloaded the pre-modified one. I got impatient trying to figure out what to edit in the file.

It's still hanging at the updating screen right now. Just waiting the 20-30 minutes or so...
If you think that it would be any more help I could try and send you one with even fewer checks(I have one already made, but I think it will need to be manually reset once its done due to the amount of stuff I've removed lol)...
Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
MasterTec
Connoisseur

Well she just booted up! I'm back to stock 1.6! I'll let you know if I have any problems!

WOOHOO! Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
emusan
lol

good to hear its all working out in the end!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations!

Now go buy one just for your GF!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Cheers to darkgrue and emusan!
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
Yellowman1
Yellowman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
you will want to install the android sdk to get the adb tools on your pc, you can get it all from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

once you've got that installed, open up a command prompt(windows button+R then type cmd.exe), then navigate to the folder that the android sdk installed to then go to the platform tools folder(all within the command prompt, you can use cd to change directories and dir to list the directories in the current folder). Once there connect your edge and type "adb devices" and let me know what it says.
@Emusan (or whoever else can help): I am also trying to get to my EE's hard drive (I can see it when I attach my EE to my PC but it is grayed out, Windows cannot access it) in an attempt to revive my EE. I have installed the Android SDK tools followed the basic commands in Emusan post quoted here, but only as far as listing the directories. I don't know the syntax to navigate to the platform tools folder on my D: drive (that's where I installed the jdk files), can anyone jelp me with the syntax to get me to the platform tools so that I can connect my EE and type "adb devices" to see what happens next?

Thank you all for your help.
Yellowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Yellowman1
Yellowman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
So, I did the above (got one of my friends to help me with the syntax) ran the adb.exe and this is what I got.

Directory of D:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

07/20/2011 05:59 AM <DIR> .
07/20/2011 05:59 AM <DIR> ..
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 5,465,938 aapt.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 410,942 adb.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 96,256 AdbWinApi.dll
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 60,928 AdbWinUsbApi.dll
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 1,344,051 aidl.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 423,585 dexdump.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 2,682 dx.bat
07/20/2011 05:59 AM <DIR> lib
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 16,046,592 llvm-rs-cc-2.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 15,424,512 llvm-rs-cc.exe
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 241 llvm-rs-cc.txt
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 332,494 NOTICE.txt
07/20/2011 05:59 AM 301 source.properties
12 File(s) 39,608,522 bytes
3 Dir(s) 12,190,531,584 bytes free

D:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>[:<port>] - connect to a device via TCP/IP
Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
disconnect [<host>[:<port>]] - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
Using this ocmmand with no additional arguments

will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devic
es.

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(-l means list but don't copy)
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

environmental variables:
ADB_TRACE - Print debug information. A comma separated list
of the following values
1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync
, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
ANDROID_SERIAL - The serial number to connect to. -s takes prior
ity over this if given.
ANDROID_LOG_TAGS - When used with the logcat option, only these de
bug tags are printed.

So now what do I do (my friend is a Windows guy, has no clue about Android systems)? The drive is still hidden in Windows and it is being shown has having 0% space.
Yellowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Yellowman1, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If all you want to do is transfer files to and from your EE via USB then you need the EE running before you plug it into the PC. The PC will see the USB device but you also have to enable the USB on the EE. If you are using Ermine then the LCD screen will show USB attached with a botton near the bottom of the screen that will activate it. When you have done this you will be able to see what is on the EE.

Don't forget to correctly disconnect the USB from your PC and shut down the USB on the EE.

In fact it is all in the manual.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote