Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
dckaynor
dckaynor began at the beginning.

Device: none
making a TOC

I managed to create chapters in the TOC but how can you add a Prelude and Appendix to the TOC. I'm working from a PDF created from a ms word file. The desired heading are set at TOC headings from the word file.
dckaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckaynor View Post
I managed to create chapters in the TOC but how can you add a Prelude and Appendix to the TOC. I'm working from a PDF created from a ms word file. The desired heading are set at TOC headings from the word file.
You fail to mention what the format is you are converting to? If you are converting to PDF as your final format then I can't help you and ignore the following.

If you have the original Word file then ensure you have the same heading (h1) for all items you want in the TOC, then save the file as web page filtered, add it to calibre and convert that file.

You should avoid PDF as a source file whenever possible. PDF is a print format or a display format when able to be viewed at 100%. But it is full of trouble when attempting to convert it to any ereader format.

Read these two sticky posts for more information.

Read this before Posting PDF Questions

Chapter Detection/Table of Contents Tutorial

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
dckaynor

I am converting from PDF to Epub. All works in the TOC except I can't add an appendix and an interlude to the TOC. The Xpath I'm using is as follows
//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|appendix|interlude|appendix|prologue|epil ogue\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
PDF chapters get wrapped in h2 tags based on heuristics, the words 'appendix' and 'interlude' aren't words that trigger heuristics to wrap the heading in h2 tags. Appendix is probably a valid heading to be added to heuristics, but I'm a bit leary of using interlude - I've never seen it used before.

You either need to write your own search and replace to wrap those words in <h2> tags or hand edit after the fact in Sigil.

PDF is a format that will always need hand massaging in Sigil if you're striving for perfection on issues like this, as is discussed in the sticky dwanthny linked.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
PDF chapters get wrapped in h2 tags based on heuristics, the words 'appendix' and 'interlude' aren't words that trigger heuristics to wrap the heading in h2 tags. Appendix is probably a valid heading to be added to heuristics, but I'm a bit leary of using interlude - I've never seen it used before.
He must be reading the same books I am.

One of these is loaded with "Interlude" chapters
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
dckaynor

gave up on the pdf to epub and went to html to epub. all worked out.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckaynor View Post
gave up on the pdf to epub and went to html to epub. all worked out.
Your Welcome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Alternatively I made a small app to manually create a TOC, reorder it etc. Check the link in my signature
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote