Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
darkgrue
darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Dingo Downgrade Performing Instant Reboot? Possible Solution

I bought an enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook in the recent Woot sale. After a day of use and fiddling, it degraded into a boot loop I could not recover from. I attempted to reload the "golden" Dingo software to reset the device to factory defaults, but it wouldn't complete the update. Instead it would briefly display the software update message, delete the update.zip off the stick, and reboot. It would then return to looping.

As I mentioned, none of the documented ways of recovering the device worked. I had an idea late that night that the recovery installer might be the source of the problem. I was able to resolve the problem, hopefully the method will duplicate my success for others who run into this issue:
  1. I downloaded the Golden Update (Dingo) for the Pocket Edge from
    enTourage: http://www.entourageedge.com/updates...ate.golden.zip
  2. I opened the zip using WinZip, and extracted the update.sh file, then commented out the section that verifies the boot.prop file on the device (appears to be intended to make sure you're targeting the right device with the update). This would be Lines 607-619.
  3. I then dragged the altered update.sh back into the archive.
  4. Finally, I then followed the regular recovery instructions as per https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263. It's important to note that the Dingo downgrade is expected to hang the first time. You must wait 20 minutes (which is actually very conservative), then use a paperclip to press the reset button to turn the device off. You then reattempt the downgrade, which should then complete successfully.
I used a 1GB FAT-formatted USB drive, but I don't think that was the critical aspect.
darkgrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
In case anyone wants this edited update.golden.zip you can get it here: link(the URL goes through adfly, 5 seconds of your time helps me work more on the eDGe and pays for server costs, if you really feel as though I shouldn't get money for this PM me and I'll send a direct link, otherwise, just click skip ad).

I just quickly edited it, if someone wants one with even less checks I can do that as well(I've been working on trying to get one that vicinc can use on his /truly/ messed up PE to no avail ).

I'm thinking of writing up my own from scratch just to make sure we remove ALL of the checks...

EDIT: this is the PE golden update I think(if there's a difference) if someone wants I can try to do an EE one as well...

EDIT 2: Here is the link for the EE one: link

Last edited by emusan; 07-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
darkgrue, I love your avatar!

Thank you for sharing your solution. And emusan, thanks for following up (as you usually do! )
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Why are all those checks in there, anyways?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Darkgrue, this is very awesome information. When I get a chance, I'll update the tweak thread with your advice.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgrue View Post
[*]I opened the zip using WinZip, and extracted the update.sh file, then commented out the section that verifies the boot.prop file on the device (appears to be intended to make sure you're targeting the right device with the update). This would be Lines 607-619.
That would be fine and dandy but how do you comment out the section? I can open it with notepad but it's just a bunch of garbled words. An F3 search for "boot.prop" comes up with no results and I have no idea how to figure out what lines are what?

What software did you edit it with?
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
That would be fine and dandy but how do you comment out the section? I can open it with notepad but it's just a bunch of garbled words. An F3 search for "boot.prop" comes up with no results and I have no idea how to figure out what lines are what?

What software did you edit it with?
If you aren't sure how to/don't want to read my post(number two in the thread) and you can download a pre-edited one...

If you really want to do it yourself, you will first need to extract the archive somewhere with something like 7-zip, extract to a folder named update on your desktop, inside there should be a file called update.sh, open that up in a notepad or some such and then you will want to navigate to the lines mentioned in the OP and add #'s to the beginning of each one. Once done, save that and repackage the files with 7-zip(select them all and right-click then click 7-zip then add to archive, make sure you use a zip archive, and make sure its named update.zip).

Last edited by emusan; 07-18-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Yeah I got all that it was just a garbled mess when opening with notepad:

At that point I just decided to download the one already made and be done with it. I now see that wordpad opens it up real nice and clean!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
emusan
lol

yeah, notepad is rather picky about newline characters and doesn't always interpret them correctly, if you plan on doing anything like this in the future I would recommend grabbing something designed for programming like notepad++ which will make it look pretty and even add colors, etc.

Glad to hear its all working out though...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
jmgazer
jmgazer began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Emusan, thanks for the link, it got my PE working again, it really is a handy gadget, but i've spent hours with it stuck on "initializing"; now I can cancel the return to WOOT and get on with using and enjoying it.

Jim
jmgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgazer View Post
Emusan, thanks for the link, it got my PE working again, it really is a handy gadget, but i've spent hours with it stuck on "initializing"; now I can cancel the return to WOOT and get on with using and enjoying it.

Jim
glad to hear it worked, now I just wonder how everyone here has managed to mess up their build.prop... and all around the same time as well lol!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
mine still does not boot on your golden.......
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Yellowman1
Yellowman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
).

EDIT: this is the PE golden update I think(if there's a difference) if someone wants I can try to do an EE one as well...
Hi Emusan, thanks for all your hard work. I have the EE and I would like the golden update for that, if you have one.

Thanks,
Yellowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Is it still on the entourage site, if not I can put it up somewhere for you.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Yellowman1
Yellowman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Is it still on the entourage site, if not I can put it up somewhere for you.
It says it is, but it never finishes downloading for me (don't know why), but I have a major issue right now, I may have bricked my EE using Emusan's modified golden update from here (thought they would work for each other).
Yellowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
MasterTec
Connoisseur

I think Emusan's update on here is for the PE. It may come down to simply modifying the one for the EE. I have a copy of the ORIGINAL unmodified golden update file (1.6) for the EE downloaded in case someone needs it.