Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Question Help with charge questions etc...

I seem to have lost track of the battery efficiency guidelines debate re: the 650, also 350 .......

Or confused, more like !

So ................ could some kind soul help (for both/each device please.)

a] What's the best guide as to when it's it better to shut down rather than stand-by ? I presume it will relate to how long it won't be opened again, like turning your car engine off.

b] Is it best to let batteries run out, or recharge on one bar, two bars ?

c] I tend to bookmark, then stand-by if I'm not going to return to it for a couple of hours. Does the b/mark facility use any more power than going straight to stand-by.
In fact, does bookmarking use any power at all ?

I think that's all, much appreciated.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I seem to have lost track of the battery efficiency guidelines debate re: the 650, also 350 .......

Or confused, more like !

So ................ could some kind soul help (for both/each device please.)
Battery charging works pretty much exactly the same for the 350, 650, and 950, though of course the 650 and 950 need to be charged more often if you use their more power hungry features, like MP3 playback on the 650, or WiFi on the 950.

Quote:
a] What's the best guide as to when it's it better to shut down rather than stand-by ? I presume it will relate to how long it won't be opened again, like turning your car engine off.
Sony recommends that the reader be shut down completely any time it will not be used for a full day or more, but lots of folks don't bother with this unless they are trying to stretch the battery life. Don't worry, if you forget, and the batteries start to run down, the Sony will automatically detect this and shut itself down completely after 48 hours in standby.

The reason for only using a full shutdown for longer idle time periods that exceed 24 hours, is that it takes a fair amount of power to fully boot up the reader from a fully shutdown state, and if you do this for shutdown periods of less than a day, it could potentially use more battery power than simply using the standby mode.

Truth be told, I almost NEVER shutdown my PRS-650 completely, unless it locks up or slows down for some reason due to a flaky book. It just takes too long to reboot, and even using standby instead of fully shutting down each night, I still get a full week or more of battery life between charges.

Quote:
b] Is it best to let batteries run out, or recharge on one bar, two bars ?
No it's not a good idea at all to run the battery down completely, in fact it can cause problems. The older NICAD batterys needed to be fully cycled to prevent 'memory', but Lithium Ion batteries work best if kept between about 10% charge and 90% charge.

In fact, fully discharging a Lithium battery is very destructive, and can destroy the battery completly in a single deep discharge, so the Sony is designed so that if you run it down to near zero, it will FORCE A COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

Overcharging is much less of an issue, in fact Wikipedia reports that even if a Lithium Ion battery is held at 100% charge for a full year, it will only loose a few percent more of it's full capacity than it would loose in any case. If you are worried about this very slight overcharge effect, just remove the USB charging cable right after the RED LED on the top of your reader goes out (but again, if you forget and leave the reader on charge, even for several days, it won't cause any significant harm)

Just remember that over charging is not a big issue, but over discharge can be a big problem, so if the reader will not be used for several weeks to several months, be sure to fully charge it first, then do a full shutdown.

c] I tend to bookmark, then stand-by if I'm not going to return to it for a couple of hours. Does the b/mark facility use any more power than going straight to stand-by.
In fact, does bookmarking use any power at all ?
[/QUOTE]

Setting a bookmark uses only a tiny amount of power, about the same as a couple page changes, but once it's set it uses no additional power at all.

You are aware that the Sony will automatically remember and return to the last page that you were reading in each and every book, even if you switch between hundreds of different titles?

In fact, even without setting a single bookmark; I have found that my Sony will reliably return to the last page that I was reading, even on books that I haven't opened in several months.

Quote:
I think that's all, much appreciated.
Glad to help out. Enjoy your Sony.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
The only time I've bothered to use a bookmark is when the reader was brand new and I was playing around with all settings; and if I wanted to check something way at the beginning of the book and didn't want to have to page flip back to where I was. Other than that, I never bookmark where I'm at, even between full device shutdowns.

I've only done a full device shutdown rarely as well, only during initial play around with settings, and while installing PRS+. Otherwise my reader is only in sleep mode and my battery lasts at least 2 weeks before being at 2 bars. I don't have wi-fi or mp3 capability on the 350 though, as delphin said, those drain more power.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Brilliant, just what I needed - thanks Delphin & Rittlinger.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, Aluratek Libre Pro, Kindle Touch, Galaxy Note 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
You are aware that the Sony will automatically remember and return to the last page that you were reading in each and every book, even if you switch between hundreds of different titles?
Mine forgot all about what pages I was at when I did a soft reset... so now I bookmark, in case I ever need to do a soft reset again to get access to the books.
ScalyFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage; iPad Mini Retina; Sonys; Nooks
If you read multiple books at one time, setting a bookmark at last page read makes it convenient to switch between books quickly though the Notes application on the home screen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
claptonjonsson
claptonjonsson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Connecting and then quickly disconnecting... bad?

Quote:
No it's not a good idea at all to run the battery down completely, in fact it can cause problems. The older NICAD batterys needed to be fully cycled to prevent 'memory', but Lithium Ion batteries work best if kept between about 10% charge and 90% charge.

In fact, fully discharging a Lithium battery is very destructive, and can destroy the battery completly in a single deep discharge, so the Sony is designed so that if you run it down to near zero, it will FORCE A COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

Overcharging is much less of an issue, in fact Wikipedia reports that even if a Lithium Ion battery is held at 100% charge for a full year, it will only loose a few percent more of it's full capacity than it would loose in any case. If you are worried about this very slight overcharge effect, just remove the USB charging cable right after the RED LED on the top of your reader goes out (but again, if you forget and leave the reader on charge, even for several days, it won't cause any significant harm)

Just remember that over charging is not a big issue, but over discharge can be a big problem, so if the reader will not be used for several weeks to several months, be sure to fully charge it first, then do a full shutdown
Now, this is exactly the information I've been looking for, and it's sounds wonderful. Are you sure it's true? Because browsing the forums for how the battery works, most people seem to think that the traditional "use up the battery before recharging" is the way to go to not hurt the battery.

The question I really want to get answered is: If you connect the reader to the computer each morning to transfer the paper, and then disconnect it as as soon as it's finished transferring, will this brief connect-and-disconnect affect the battery in a negative manner?

Regards,
Clapton
claptonjonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by claptonjonsson View Post
The question I really want to get answered is: If you connect the reader to the computer each morning to transfer the paper, and then disconnect it as as soon as it's finished transferring, will this brief connect-and-disconnect affect the battery in a negative manner?

Regards,
Clapton

I've been doing just that often during the past two years I've had my 505. It doesn't seem to have any negative effects. While I do my regular charging using the mains, the reader does get connected to the computer a couple of times every week for book uploads.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try browsing some of the many threads for correct battery use, try googling for lithium polymer batteries, try using Wiki... there are a multitude of sources easily available but for the umpteenth time: Use up the battery before recharging relates to OLDER battery technologies such as NiCd, it does NOT relate to Lithium Ion or Polymer batteries and can be destructive. These batteries have (depending on the battery) between 400 and 1000+ charging cycles - a charging cycle is one full charge of 100% but it doesn't have to be done at one go e.g. discharge 20% and recharge = 20% of a recharge cycle... discharge another 50% and recharge, guess what, it's now used 70% of a charge cycle... there is NO memory effect or problem with not doing a full discharge cycle and the Manufacturers recommendations are NOT to do this... and check delphin's post above for even more details...
elcreative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am finding that I get a much better charge (as in, it takes a lot longer to drop from 4 bars to 3) by using the wall charger vs charging over USB. So now even if I need to hook my Sony up to the computer, I just do that briefly and then I disconnect and do a wall charge for a long time (like overnight).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, Aluratek Libre Pro, Kindle Touch, Galaxy Note 4
Not only does it seem to charge "better" from the wall charger, but it charges much faster as well.... which I really like.
ScalyFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Well, these devices use a lithium polymer battery. Which is a form of lithium ion, but not the same as lithium ion used in laptops.

Leaving a Lipo fully charged WILL reduce the life of the battery. However, some devices do not actually fully charge the battery to reduce this tendency.

A lipo battery has a life span of so many charge-discharge cycles. But a partial charge does only counts as a partial cycle, unlike NiCd and NiMH batteries. So if you charge at 50% use, you will get 2x the number of charges lifespan than if you run closer to 100%.

But yes, lipos can be killed by a single overdisharge, which is why the deivces have to have some smarts in the battery circuit.

The people into electric model aircraft, helicopters and cars are the people who really know lipo batteries. And I are one.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote