Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
New eReader?

Note: Kindle 3G has been ordered, thanks for the opinions!

I currently own an Astak EZreader Pocket Pro and while it's quite the nice reader with its ability to read many different formats I don't really know where to get a nice selection of books for it. Many of my books are, ah, acquired through illegitimate means and I'd like to stop that so I was looking at the Kindle as perhaps a new eReader to use. Partly because even if it is so easy it's still not very nice to the author and also partly because these books tend to lack in quality and have typographical issues in many places or weird formatting problems, wrecking immersion.

Anyone own both the new Kindle with the pearl screen and a Pocket Pro (or similar Jinke device) that can give some pros and cons to each, especially describing the difference in clarity of the screen? How fast do books download on the 3G network and how is the amazon store selection? I know they have all the mainstream books and very popular works but how about less read books like Forgotten Realms books that don't include a very overrated Dark Elf? Also, many of the books I have read that I've gotten for "free" have had a lot of errors in them, do the ebooks from the Amazon Kindle store have a lot of errors or screwy formatting issues?

I know the Kindle does not support many other formats but hey if I really need to I can just break out my pocket pro for those.

Edit: If there are any other outstanding eReaders with a great selection available to them or even perhaps a great place to get books at competitive prices with Amazon I'd love to hear suggestions on those as well!

Moar Edits: How is the Kindle store support for Canada? I assume most of the users on this site are American, do Canadians still get the full benefits of Whispernet and free 3G book downloads? Is there a bigger selection of books on the American store vs the Canadian store?

Last edited by Acrimonus; 05-16-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
For availability, you can go to Amazon and look for books you're interested in to see if they have them in Kindle format. For formatting, you could install K4PC and download samples to get an idea of the quality. The handful of books that I've bought from Amazon did not have major formatting issues...but this may depend on the particular book; it's my impression that newer books are better in this respect.

I did buy and return one cookbook due to a formatting issue (although it was not an error; it was a bad design decision, although perfectly implemented). It was a cookbook in which the ingredients were listed on one page, but you had to click a link at the bottom of the ingredient list to get to the instruction page. This made it really annoying to follow the recipe - and I didn't realize that when I downloaded the sample, as I just looked for typos and the like.

One great thing about Amazon is that you can return e-books to Amazon within 7 days for any reason. This won't fix formatting errors, but at least you won't have to pay for them.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Acrimonus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
For availability, you can go to Amazon and look for books you're interested in to see if they have them in Kindle format. For formatting, you could install K4PC and download samples to get an idea of the quality. The handful of books that I've bought from Amazon did not have major formatting issues...but this may depend on the particular book; it's my impression that newer books are better in this respect.

I did buy and return one cookbook due to a formatting issue (although it was not an error; it was a bad design decision, although perfectly implemented). It was a cookbook in which the ingredients were listed on one page, but you had to click a link at the bottom of the ingredient list to get to the instruction page. This made it really annoying to follow the recipe - and I didn't realize that when I downloaded the sample, as I just looked for typos and the like.

One great thing about Amazon is that you can return e-books to Amazon within 7 days for any reason. This won't fix formatting errors, but at least you won't have to pay for them.

Good to know about that return policy, sounds like it could be abused by quick readers though.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
A feature to be used with care as they ban people forever from Amazon if they use it too often and Amazon suspects them of stripping the DRM and then returning the book.

Do it only when there is a very good reason to do so.

As far as formatting goes, the books I bought with Amazon were all fine.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Acrimonus
Enthusiast

As I suspected some of the less known books from the Forgotten Realms are not available on Amazon like the Avatar Series. Unfortunate, that really puts a dent in me wanting to get one.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why don't you go for an epub reader? You could buy your books whereever you'd like to. At Smashwords, Fictionwise, SonyReaderStore, Bean, Kobo, The Bookdepository... I am sure you will find whatever you like and will be able to save a buck or two doing so.

Sonys are great! Have a look at one and you will be hooked.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Acrimonus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Why don't you go for an epub reader? You could buy your books whereever you'd like to. At Smashwords, Fictionwise, SonyReaderStore, Bean, Kobo, The Bookdepository... I am sure you will find whatever you like and will be able to save a buck or two doing so.

Sonys are great! Have a look at one and you will be hooked.
I already have an ereader capable of reading the epub format, and the Sony seems excessive in cost for what you get. Even adding in all the extra import fees, non free shipping and taxes the Kindle would come out cheaper than a PRS-650 which costs $249.99 CND for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
I already have an ereader capable of reading the epub format, and the Sony seems excessive in cost for what you get. Even adding in all the extra import fees, non free shipping and taxes the Kindle would come out cheaper than a PRS-650 which costs $249.99 CND for me.
Wow! Thats cheap! It is only 180€! This is the price of the 350 overe here. We pay 229€ for it. That is $399 CAD
Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Acrimonus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Wow! Thats cheap! It is only 180€! This is the price of the 350 overe here. We pay 229€ for it. That is $399 CAD
Fortunately for me, I do not live where you live and your economy is about as relevant to me as what time prayer time is and what direction you need to face for as a follower of the Islamic religion.

Also, it seems a little rude to imply that that a price may be cheap without first taking into consideration the obvious personal factor. What may be cheap to you is expensive to others, not everyone is in as fortunate a situation as you!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
I have the PRS-505, which had the old vizplex screen, as well as the PRS-350. The difference in screen clarity is really pronounced, I was surprised at how black the black ink is on the 350 when I bought it. I hope this helps your decision.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Acrimonus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have the PRS-505, which had the old vizplex screen, as well as the PRS-350. The difference in screen clarity is really pronounced, I was surprised at how black the black ink is on the 350 when I bought it. I hope this helps your decision.
That it does, the more and more I read about the stupidity that is local publishing rights affecting ebook sales which should not be restricted by something meant to affect paper books the more I do not want a Kindle and will be looking at other options including a Sony reader, even if they are more expensive.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
I currently own an Astak EZreader Pocket Pro and while it's quite the nice reader with its ability to read many different formats I don't really know where to get a nice selection of books for it.
The reader you currently have reads Adobe ID DRM'd ePub which you can get from Sony, Kobo and Books On Board as well as others (just not Amazon, Apple or B&N) and of course DRM free ePub (and others) from places like Webscription, Smashwords and many smaller pubs that sell DRM free direct. There's also the public library if your library participates.

As far as Pearl vs the Viziplex screen the PP has I think it's most noticeable in lower light situations. Sitting out in the sun or next to a lamp it's not as big a deal, although there's definitely a difference. I'd certainly hate going back now that I've been using Pearl for most of a year.

We have lots of Canadian members and I'm sure someone will chime in, but yes 3G/Whispernet works in Canada and yes the US has a larger selection of books available than Canadians, but I'm not sure how much of a gap there is anymore. Note that the gap between US and Canadian availability isn't and Amazon thing, you find the same issue in other stores too.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is easy enough to gain access to the US store. Create an account with a US address and use gift certificates to buy books. If you want, use a VPN blocker to mask your ISP. Many a person has done this to gain access to US based stores and books that they want to read.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Oddly enough - I often find it better to go the other way at Amazon and buy as a Canadian instead of US resident. US has wider book availability but Canada often has better prices.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about format because it is dead simple to remove DRM and convert to the format you want. Buy the device that has the features you like most and then buy your books based on who has the book you want at the best prices.

Also, I'm a huge fan of my Kindle 3 but keep in mind that the nook is announcing a new product at the end of this month. You might want to hold off and see what they're bringing out.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
I agree with Latinandgreek about differences in contrast,

I used to have a 1st gen Nook, which uses old eink screen technology and the differences in contrast are huge. According to the own manufacturer of the screen, differences with Kindle 3 which is using pearl screen, is about 50% better; and again, that's coming from the manufacturer directly.

The Kindle is an International device. Of course, you will probably find some books that are not available because Geo restrictions, but that's something that you need to check yourself.

And it is not true that Kindle users are tied up to Amazon store only. You can also buy and download thousand of books from other sites that support mobi and Kindle can read mobi without any problem or conversion.

I recommend you the Kindle. The reason for that is that you will be able to use non DRM books from lot of online stores but more important, you will be backed up and able to buy from Amazon. Sony's book store is not as big at Amazon and classics and popular titles are mainly available on epub and mobi, so that's not an issue at all.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote