|07-13-2011, 12:24 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2008
My issues with M90
1. Response time for screen refresh is terrible. It seems like a beta product. I've set it to only do a full screen refresh after every five pages as a compromise. It doesn't fully clear the screen and there is some ghost text left after most screen refreshes but I'd rather that than sit through a full screen refresh. It's painful to watch. It really looks like the device is struggling just to do the most basic task.
2. Response time for input recognition is bad, and combined with the occasional complete lack of recognition, the input is nearly unusable. You have to guess whether the device is just taking its time to respond, or whether it completely missed your stylus 'click'.
3. Input should be either all finger, or all stylus. Why do I have to use my finger for the left bezel buttons (home, back, forward) but then have to use a stylus for everything else on screen? Terrible user experience having to switch input methods. Also, it is unclear when the ir button is to be used. The only time I've had to use it was to lock in the changed date. And that was far from obvious. What's the point of having it on there? Plus it's quite ugly and unfinished looking.
4. The only dictionary I have is chinese. Is this why none of my written text gets recognized? Why do I not have other dictionaries? Is there some other reason why my newly created note won't accept stylus written letters?
5. I gave the device a full charge, then set the device to auto-sleep after 15 minutes. I wake up in the morning and the screen says low battery. That doesn't make sense. The battery should last weeks, not hours. Especially in sleep mode! In fact, even if it is "on" it should still last days as long as there is no page turning.
6. This thing is HEAVY! I wanted something I could comfortably hold in one hand for a long time. Definitely not the case here.
7. Random page turning when outside. My unit came with the latest firmware. About section shows 1.5.1 20110616
I thought I'd be the last person to compare an ereader to a tablet, but let me tell you, for the price of this thing, I could've gotten a tablet that had much more functionality and didn't behave like a beta product. I don't know what the specs say, but it's definitely no lighter than a full tablet. It's no cheaper (or not much anyway). The software is horrible. All of the problems aren't worth the advantage of the eInk screen. I like the way the text looks on the screen (after it does manage to refresh), but almost everything else aside from that is terrible.
|07-13-2011, 01:22 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The screen page turns are quite slow. Everything is quite slow. I have mine set to refresh at 3 pages, and I find that setting best for me.
You actually can turn pages with the stylus. Drag the stylus from right to left to go forward, and left to right to go to the previous page.
As long as you are not in full screen mode, you can click the icon at the bottom left with the stylus to bring up the options screen (same as clicking the home button on the left).
Yep, it's heavy. 520 g, ~18 oz. The Kindle DX weighs about the same.
The dictionary is definitely not so good. It give me both the Chinese and English definitions, which I find rather amusing. Make sure when you use it that you click the 2nd icon at the top from the left, it looks like a question mark. If it is on the last icon it appears to only give the Chinese.
|07-13-2011, 11:52 PM||#3|
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the ir button is there to navigate around just like a 4 way button would be. up down left right. you can click it to make selections. its also used to turn pages, left and right, or for changing font size, up and down, while reading.
you don't need any of the buttons i you dont want them. use the stylus to select items in the various function menus/ screens or turn pages and access the menu , icon lower left corner, while reading.
the reason they are all there is choice. some wont want to use the ir. some wont want to use the buttons on the left. some wont want to use the stylus for anything but writing.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Onyx Boox M90 available||Montebello||Onyx Boox||508||12-27-2011 07:47 AM|
|Onyx Boox M90 available||Montebello||Autres liseuses||5||10-31-2011 12:52 PM|
|My Issues with Onyx M90||Kirys||Onyx Boox||30||10-11-2011 07:05 AM|
|Bug report M90-M91S||Shinra tensei||Onyx Boox||9||09-06-2011 05:31 AM|
|Extremely Thorough review of the Onyx M90||Dulin's Books||News||5||05-27-2011 03:30 PM|