Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; T100; Slatebook 14; Nook STG; Galaxy Ace 2
Confused about Covers!

I've noticed that even though I change the cover of a book in Calibre, on my reader (PRS-350) and on the viewer in the software itself, the old cover remains. The new cover is displayed when clicking on view metadata, or down the right-hand side pane.

I essentially now have two covers for quite a few of my EPUBs.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal behaviour? Any solutions?

Many thanks.

p.s. As an example, I've just downloaded Orwell's 1984 from this site, loaded it into Calibre, and looked up metadata. I chose a new cover and allowed Calibre to change the publisher and published date. All seemed fine until I opened the file to read.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
I've noticed that even though I change the cover of a book in Calibre, on my reader (PRS-350) and on the viewer in the software itself, the old cover remains. The new cover is displayed when clicking on view metadata, or down the right-hand side pane.

I essentially now have two covers for quite a few of my EPUBs.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal behaviour? Any solutions?

Many thanks.

p.s. As an example, I've just downloaded Orwell's 1984 from this site, loaded it into Calibre, and looked up metadata. I chose a new cover and allowed Calibre to change the publisher and published date. All seemed fine until I opened the file to read.
Covers In the book and the Metadata are different until:
1) you convert
2) you carefully edit the EPUB file (Tweak. if you replace the existing cover file with exactly the same name and image size)
When you send a book to the Device: the Device copy may get updated.
The main Library copy is left as is.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Hmmm... I wonder if this is what Jackastor wanted?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if this is what Jackastor wanted?
No done all that did all that it doesnt work. It is a corruption of the meta data from calibre to Kobo. Thats my best guess. I can edit and tweak all day long I can dump and recreate all my epubs. The result is a random working. I can never duplicate results and when i have one book that works and i edit the others the same way sometimes one or two will have covers but never all of them and its random. Most times its a blank cover. YEs i have reset kobo, yes I have cleaned all books off cycled the reader with power off, and even the pin reset. The result no covers. Actually thats not totally true, all the covers appear to be there as in the thumbnail view from calibre, but after processing the file by KT the result is no cover. BTW its not the aspect ratio as HARRYT likes to think.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Jack... can you supply any of us with a book that you have trouble with. Trust me; people DO want to help!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Nexus 7 (2013). Wife:Kindle Paperwhite, ipad mini R
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Covers In the book and the Metadata are different until:
1) you convert
2) you carefully edit the EPUB file (Tweak. if you replace the existing cover file with exactly the same name and image size)
When you send a book to the Device: the Device copy may get updated.
The main Library copy is left as is.
This.

See also this thread for official explanation on why re-conversion is necessary:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126617

Here's a longer explanation of what theduck was saying.

You've got a few choices. Easiest to hardest IMO

1) re-convert (easiest, but I've seen retail epub -> epub cause minor problems)
2) use kiwidude's modify epub plug-in (works great! Easy!)
3) explode the epub with calibre and replace the cover image file with another file of exactly the same name (works in my experience...may create issues though if the epub code calls out a specific size)
4) crack open the epub in sigil and replace the cover that way (lets you double check the code). Not that hard if you know anything at all about basic html (my html knowledge dates from the 90s).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-06-2011 at 02:37 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
If you are willing to play with beta plugins you can get the modify plugin from here
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134249
You can easily replace, remove etc the cover and the metadata. The latest version of the plugin is available near the end of the thread its a work in progress so be careful.
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; T100; Slatebook 14; Nook STG; Galaxy Ace 2
Many thanks for your replies, guys.

I've read (or rather, skimmed) through the entire thread on the Modify EPUB plugin. Even though I'm not exactly computer illiterate, I was lost in a sea of code and even more confusion!

I should perhaps explain my situation a little better.

As mentioned in the OP, I recently downloaded Orwell's 1984 (from MobileRead). I wasn't a fan of the cover that was already in place, so I updated the metadata of the EPUB and downloaded a much more interesting cover.

As far as I was aware there and then, the cover of the book had been changed. But I later discovered that in reality on the thumbnail had been changed. So I had the new cover on display in the right side pane in Calibre, and also on display when browsing by cover on my Sony PRS-350. I used the 'Copy Cover' plugin to enable me to set the 'cover' as the stanby 'screensaver'. That worked fine. When I go into standby mode I have the iconic 1984 book cover on display.

When I open the EPUB, I am greeted with the older cover. This is the same regardless of whether I open the file with Calibre, EPUBReader, or my Sony PRS-350.

So the cover is not updated in the file itself. I understand that much. How do I update it and at the same time remove the old cover?

I do not understand how this modify plugin works. I don't know what 'manifested' files are, but I have through trial and error worked out what a book jacket is.

Could anybody help further.

Many thanks, and much appreciation for your patience.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
As mentioned in the OP, I recently downloaded Orwell's 1984 (from MobileRead). I wasn't a fan of the cover that was already in place, so I updated the metadata of the EPUB and downloaded a much more interesting cover.

As far as I was aware there and then, the cover of the book had been changed.
As you have discovered changing the cover in the library view does not automatically insert the new cover into the book itself.

Quote:
So the cover is not updated in the file itself. I understand that much. How do I update it and at the same time remove the old cover?
If the cover of your existing ePub has a clearly identified cover then when you export the ebook from the library using the Send to Device or Save to disk features the cover will be updated in the book.

Since your cover isn't being updated the above doesn't apply to you. That leaves converting the book as your easiest option for inserting the cover. Do a ePub to ePub conversion and this should insert your new cover in the book.

You might want to save a backup copy of the book to disk first in case the ePub to ePub conversion does something unexpected to the format of your book. This rarely happens but it is better safe than sorry.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If you've got a Sony there is an option that's a bit simpler, though it doesn't solve things 100%.

You can go to:
Preferences -> Advanced -> Plugins ->
Device Interface Plugins -> SONY Device Interface.

Check 'Upload separate cover thumbnails for books'
Check 'Refresh separate covers when using automatic management' (only if auto management is enabled, and this is optional.

Choose your preference on cover aspect ratio.

If you want the covers to always be updated automatically (even after changing them), make sure the second option above is enabled, and also go to Preferences -> Sending to Devices, and enable Automatic management.

This will give you Calibre's thumbnails for all your books in the book browsing view on the Sony. When you actually read the book you'll get whatever the actual cover on the ePub is.

There is also a small quirk with the Sony devices where you can lose the Calibre cover the first time you load the book onto the Sony, but the automatic management option I mentioned will fix this during subsequent syncs.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
@Idolse,

The way I read it Arrghus doesn't have a problem with Sony thumbnails, just with the cover on page 1 of the epub. So, as Dwanthny said, the only way to fix it easily is with an epub-to-epub conversion. For the tech proficient I guess there's also the option of a manual surgical fix using the Tweak-epub option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
There is also a small quirk with the Sony devices where you can lose the Calibre cover the first time you load the book onto the Sony, but the automatic management option I mentioned will fix this during subsequent syncs.
As far as I know this problem was fixed a few months ago. Do you think different?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote