Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #931
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I think I got it and it only took me two and a half months.

James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #932
pdurrant
Santa Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, here a passage of dialog to guess:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think I got it and it only took me two and a half months.

James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

I didn't realise I'd killed the thread stone dead! Umm... no.

The book is a popular children's book, that has been made into a film many times.

The two characters in the dialogue are the title characters, although by class rather than by name. They are about the same age.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #933
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol. I've managed to kill this thread many times. I went searching for it to see what had stumped everyone, but no one even guessed.

The Latin and scantly seemed so familiar. I suck at children's books.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #934
pdurrant
Santa Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully the clues I've given will prompt someone's memory.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #935
pdurrant
Santa Mouse

Quote:
OK, here a passage of dialog to guess:
Quote:
"And prithee, why not? Who helpeth them undress at night? Who attireth them when they rise?"
"None, sir. Would'st have them take off their garment, and sleep without--like the beasts?"
"Their garment! Have they but one?"
"Ah, good your worship, what would they do with more? Truly they have not two bodies each."
"It is a quaint and marvellous thought! Thy pardon, I had not meant to laugh. But thy good Nan and thy Bet shall have raiment and lackeys enow, and that soon, too: my cofferer shall look to it. No, thank me not; 'tis nothing. Thou speakest well; thou hast an easy grace in it. Art learned?"
"I know not if I am or not, sir. The good priest that is called Father Andrew taught me, of his kindness, from his books."
"Know'st thou the Latin?"
"But scantly, sir, I doubt."
OK, clues so far:
The book is a popular children's book, that has been made into a film many times.
The two characters in the dialogue are the title characters, although by class rather than by name. They are about the same age.

New clue: The story takes place in 1546/7 in England.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #936
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
Quote:
OK, clues so far:

New clue: The story takes place in 1546/7 in England.
Based purely on the 'by class rather than name' clue, I'll say, The Prince and the Pauper.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #937
pdurrant
Santa Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Based purely on the 'by class rather than name' clue, I'll say, The Prince and the Pauper.
Thank goodness!

Yes, that's right. Over to you, Bilbo!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #938
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that I have been horribly remiss in not posting a new one, but here it is (better late than never ), from a much more recent book than the last one.

“Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me. Perhaps I've spent too long in the company of my literary romantic heroes, and consequently my ideals and expectations are far too high.”

Thanks to HIMS for the very gentle reminder!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #939
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic

It sounds like a book review where the reveiwer can't stand slumming it.

I don't think it's anything I've read.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #940
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It sounds like a book review where the reveiwer can't stand slumming it.

I don't think it's anything I've read.
I don't think I've read it either, but the literary critic, Dorothy Parker, did come to my mind.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #941
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
Shades of Gray?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #942
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Shades of Gray?
Well done issybird, that's the one.

My wife bought it recently on the recommendation of basically all her friends. Looks like rubbish to me, but it certainly seems to be popular.

Take it away issybird!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #943
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, totally cracking up here. I really had no idea, but "much more recent" gave it to me. Bilbo, you dog!

Lemme put on my thinking cap and I'll post something this evening.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #944
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

“I have only ever read one book in my life, and that is White Fang. It's so frightfully good I've never bothered to read another.”
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #945
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Wow! I don't think I've ever read this one ...

Sounds like a British Hemingway speaker ....
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote