Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
It died!

After playing with the Pocket edge for a day, I downloaded a couple of books into in and started to do some serious reading. While I was reading, I noticed that the other display was blank. I thought it had just gone to sleep. When I hit the menu button, all I got was a white screen.

After I finished reading. I closed the device and went on to other things. A couple of hours later I decided to continue reading and found that all I had was a white screen. I tried several resets, and also tried reloading Ermine - no luck. Then I downloaded and attempted the "golden" update. Did it the second time and the eink side invited me to calibrate the screen, indicating that the system had totally reloaded and was starting from scratch. However, the color screen was still as blank as ever.

Question is -- am I truly screwed? Any ideas anyone - or does it go back to Woot?
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
That sounds like the White Screen of Death. I don't think anyone has been known to recover from it. I'd say back to woot.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I am software crash master, looks you are the hardware one.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I am software crash master, looks you are the hardware one.
The hardware seems to be the problem. Some component is just at the edge of specs and fails. A couple of people that managed to get their PEs serviced by Entourage disappeared said they appeared to get new motherboards fitted.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Aye, as Ivan says it probably needs a new motherboard.

So sorry this happened to you -- it is a rare and unpredictable occurance, but known to happen to Androids (just Android 2.2??). And just when you were getting to the really enjoyable part of PE ownership!

I hope you will be able to exchange for a better unit from Woot. Will you remember/have backups of what you did to get this one in shape?

Let us know!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

I really liked the unit. I didn't get that far with 2.2 (and didn't address backup yet) that it really mattered. Hopefully Woot has some more available. The white screen pro blem seems to be a little bit of a dark cloud hanging over the replacement scenario.

The color screen actually died while I was reading on the e-ink screen.

This may not be connected. After letting the unit charge overnight, I ran it in battery for about 2 hours this morning. At one point I noticed that the lower inboard corner of the eink screen was so hot that it became uncomfortable to touch it. At that point I shut it down. I restarted it later in the day and that's when the color screen crashed.

Last edited by syclone; 07-09-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Syclone, it is normal for the LCD to go black if you haven't touched it for a certain amount of time. You can set the time under Settings.

It's possible that he overheating and WSoD are connected. I really have no idea -- but it isn't normal behavior.

Keeping fingers crossed for your replacement unit!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
syclone
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Syclone, it is normal for the LCD to go black if you haven't touched it for a certain amount of time. You can set the time under Settings.
Thanks for the good wishes Filark - yes I'm aware the the screen blanks out - it was turning white when my fingers hit any of the keys while I was reading.

I put a request into Woot to replace the unit if they didn't sell out. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Quick note: I had my LCD go white after sleeping in the open position with a keyboard plugged in today. It whited out on attempts to wake with menu or home. I only got it back by sliding the power switch long enough to get the power off dialog to pop up so I could back out of it and keep working. Give that a shot?
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
The excess heat usually means a component is overstressed and passing more current than it's designed for which makes me think that 2.2 is making the video system work a little harder so marginal components fail.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
syclone
Zealot

Serial number

I'm wondering if the cause of WSOD is related to when the Pocket Edge was produced. Some of the threads indicate that defective units that were sent back were returned with new mother boards. I've attached a photo of my Edges's serial number plate. I don't know how many were produced and how many versions of the mother board were involved, but if we can get those who have experienced the problem to send the serial numbers of their defective units (if they know what they are), it's possible that a pattern might emerge. I attached the photo just in case there was any other information on the plate that might contribute to solving the problem. The serial is BF3014410129B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	74114  

Last edited by syclone; 07-10-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: forgot to attach photo
Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

I'm so curious, sometimes it sounds like a MB issue, sometimes a software issue. My husband's new one, I found if I hit the home button instead of menu to come out of hibernate, it gets a white screen that is useless. But it does time out and then I hit menu and get the unlock screen. Neither of my other PEs do this and he's under strict orders to only use the menu button now. Not helpful to people who have the WSOD, but may be useful information for other owners and our community techies.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
syclone
Zealot

The issue may be both hardware and software. When the problem started, I first tried to re-install Ermine but I couldn't tell for sure if it worked (no display). Then I installed the "golden OS" and it definitely installed because the e-ink screen came up with it's calibration procedure. To me it showed that the device was running - just not getting video to the screen. The earlier excessive heat indication may been caused by the video components being overdriven, but after shutting it down, and restarting it, the unit worked for a couple of hours before the video failed. Possibly, someone from Entourage knows - any Entourage folks still out there?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

I think we're on to something with the heat. My husband's was also very very hot when we charged it. Although it's still confusing that he gets the white screen of near death and recovers from it while having the heat issue that now a few people have mentioned. I think I'm going to ask woot to exchange it before it dies and we're screwed.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
You might be on to something. My serial # is BF30145100F8B, which is almost 1000 higher than your device. Plus, I can say this with absolute certainty:

1. I have ZERO e-ink overheating issues. As in, it usually doesn't even feel warm. When people initially started mentioning the fact that the PE runs "hot," I thought it was weird problem that only affected a few units; now, I think it might be a deeper hardware problem.

2. I rarely experience the WSOD, although it has briefly happened a couple of times.

Given that the company was going under, I can see where they might have shipped out units with a known motherboard defect.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote