Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
actiss
Member
actiss began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 24
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: Kobo Touch
Downgrading to 1.9.4

I would like to downgrade my firmware from 1.9.5 to 1.9.4 due to the italics bug. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of 1.9.4. Is there a way to download this software manually?

I've heard that the upcoming 1.9.6 firmware fixes the issue but I am getting impatient...
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen
 
Posts: 328
Karma: 23499
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Westminster, BC
Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actiss View Post
I would like to downgrade my firmware from 1.9.5 to 1.9.4 due to the italics bug. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of 1.9.4. Is there a way to download this software manually?

I've heard that the upcoming 1.9.6 firmware fixes the issue but I am getting impatient...
Downgrading to version 1.9.4 is a fairly drastic step since it involves a factory reset which means you will lose all of your side-loaded content as well as the 1.9.5 new font and text formatting options. Meanwhile the 1.9.5 italics bug for non-Kobo epubs has been fixed, it just has not been released.

If you want to downgrade to 1.9.4, a forum member has listed the steps here. To downgrade, you will also need a copy of the 1.9.4 firmware. Another forum member mentions a source here. You could also ask the Kobo HelpDesk whether they have a copy of the 1.9.4 firmware.

Finally, is not recommended that you revert to a previous version of the firmware because of problems you might run into, loss of the 1.9.5 enhancements and the time needed to reload your content.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-08-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
actiss
Member
actiss began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 24
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Downgrading to version 1.9.4 is a fairly drastic step since it involves a factory reset which means you will lose all of your side-loaded content as well as the 1.9.5 new font and text formatting options. Meanwhile the 1.9.5 italics bug for non-Kobo epubs has been fixed, it just has not been released.

If you want to downgrade to 1.9.4, a forum member has listed the steps here. To downgrade, you will also need a copy of the 1.9.4 firmware. Another forum member mentions a source here. You could also ask the Kobo HelpDesk whether they have a copy of the 1.9.4 firmware.

Finally, is not recommended that you revert to a previous version of the firmware because of problems you might run into, loss of the 1.9.5 enhancements and the time needed to reload your content.
I understand the process to downgrade the firmware, as well as the loss of features, however I would rather be able to ready my books without the italics/bold bug than have any feature that 1.9.5 introduced. My only problem is that I need a copy of the 1.9.4 firmware. Since I updated my Touch directly from the device and not through the desktop software I do not have a copy of the zip file.

If anybody has a copy (or a link to it) could you send me a PM? I would appreciate it.
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,253
Karma: 2722720
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Kobo
I can't help you with 1.9.4, but take heart that 1.9.6 is in the 2nd round of beta testing so it should be coming "soon" (tm) barring unexpected problems popping up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
actiss
Member
actiss began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 24
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I can't help you with 1.9.4, but take heart that 1.9.6 is in the 2nd round of beta testing so it should be coming "soon" (tm) barring unexpected problems popping up.
That's good news! Believe me, I would much rather upgrade to 1.9.6 then go through the hassle of factory resetting then upgrading to 1.9.4, but who's to say when it will be released - it could be a couple of days, or another week or so - and I've got a couple of (sideloaded) books that I've been dying to continue reading this weekend.

All-in-all though, I really do love this device, as well as all of the developers who put time and hard work into developing both the hardware and the software. They really do need to be commended for such a fantastic device, and for listening to their customers' requests when doing firmware upgrades - even if a bug slips in now and again...
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRS-650 Downgrading firmware Ivy Sony Reader 4 04-15-2011 04:27 AM
JB5: downgrading FW->possible ? smallhagrid Ectaco jetBook 5 08-19-2010 03:10 PM
Classic Downgrading nook? jjjason1 Barnes & Noble NOOK 5 02-06-2010 10:00 PM
Downgrading K2 firmware hmemcpy Amazon Kindle 7 05-17-2009 09:36 PM
Downgrading firmware sweetcream HanLin eBook 4 05-12-2008 07:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.