Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #31
RichL
Addict
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Libraries are a state of mind. Become your own.
And if you have a Mobius mind you can have an infinite library.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There is no such thing as a used digital file. Since you can easily give the library a copy of your ebbok, and still keep your copy of the file and put the file on the web where the entire world can copy for free -- you can see why digital files will never carry the concept of ownership the way physical goods can

Lee
Donations of eBooks wouldn't have to work that way.

*I donate an eBook to my Library via Overdrive. I do not download the eBook.
*Library accepts donation and put the eBook on my bookshelf in my Overdrive Account. I have 14 days to read the book.
*At the end of 14 days my check-out expires and my file won't open.
*Library then makes the eBook available for general check-out.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #33
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Am I the only one here that is not concerned with DRM. I have learned that DRM is easily removed from electronic books and therefore I am not that concerned with it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #34
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Am I the only one here that is not concerned with DRM. I have learned that DRM is easily removed from electronic books and therefore I am not that concerned with it.
DRM is easily removed right now. There are no guarantees that will always remain to be the case.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #35
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Undersood a book reader, hopefully DRM will not continue to be a barrier to readers in reading their books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #36
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

*Library accepts donation and put the eBook on my bookshelf in my Overdrive Account. I have 14 days to read the book.
I love this idea. I am just not sure publishers would love it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
DRM does make it possible to tread digital files like physical objects from an economic perspective.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #38
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader

I love this idea. I am just not sure publishers would love it.
I don't think the publisher would care as long as they are agreeable to selling books to libraries.

Some head librarians might object as it would interfere with thier ideas of how books are selected and power to do so. Most wouldn't I am sure but there are some that would.

Bequests and donations have been refused in the past by libraries because they were specific in the type of books that would be bought, (ie. children's, reference, specific authors etc.) and this wasn't in line with the libraries needs or policies. Understandable in one way but perhaps shortsighted.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #39
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, iPhone 5, Sony T1, NOOK HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't think the publisher would care as long as they are agreeable to selling books to libraries.

Some head librarians might object as it would interfere with thier ideas of how books are selected and power to do so. Most wouldn't I am sure but there are some that would.

Bequests and donations have been refused in the past by libraries because they were specific in the type of books that would be bought, (ie. children's, reference, specific authors etc.) and this wasn't in line with the libraries needs or policies. Understandable in one way but perhaps shortsighted.

Helen
My library doesn't accept book donations. If you want to donate a book, it goes into the annual used book sale and they will only accept it during a specific "donation period", a couple of weeks before the sale. (It is a district policy, not by the individual library branch.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
DRM does make it possible to tread digital files like physical objects from an economic perspective.
And if publishers allowed them to be treated like physical objects--able to be handed off or resold after the first buyer was done with it--there'd be less complaints, and less stripping of DRM.

If I knew that I could buy a DRM'd ebook and then email an access code to a friend, and when she activates that I'd no longer have access to the book, I'd be willing to reconsider ebooks with DRM. But publishers are using it to push the idea of "one user per purchase," and I'm not willing to support that model.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
remove the drm and keep your own back-up system.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #42
Giggleton
Suspended
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
And if you have a Mobius mind you can have an infinite library.
We might call all minds the mobius mind, and then the library would be infinite and belong to everyone. At that point the idea of book ownerhip does indeed become irrelevant since all ideas(expressed or otherwise) are owned by all people.

At the moment though, are we discussing whether or not it is possible to own the content of an ebook?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
You wisely bought a reader that uses Adobe drm, so that when your Kobo does die, you will be able to buy any other reader that utilizes it. Including, Sony, Nook, etc. The only one you won't be able to use will be Amazon's Kindle.

If you are interested in stripping the drm, Google apprentice alf.

Of course if you do this, you will be able to convert your books to whatever format you want for whatever reader you get.

Also download Calibre. This great program will do the conversion for you.
If you have a Kindle and it dies, you can buy another Kindle and register that to your account in place of the dead Kindle and continue to read your Kindle eBooks. No difference there really.

The one thing that a reader that uses Adept DRM gives you vs a Kindle is the ability to buy a different brand reader and still be able to use your eBooks. So if I have a Kobo and want a Sony, the DRMed ePub will still be usable. But if you have a Kindle and want a Kobo, you are well and truly screwed as lock-in bites you in the ass big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #44
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Kindle and it dies, you can buy another Kindle and register that to your account in place of the dead Kindle and continue to read your Kindle eBooks. No difference there really.
The problem comes on the day they stop making Kindles.... now if all your books are DRM free and in a major format like EPUB you have good chance of converting to a new platform...if they are locked down, you just lost your entire library.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote