Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #31
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Molman,

Here's the A Dance with Dragons publisher details for the Amazon book - same as yours in Australia:

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 2166 KB
Print Length: 1040 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0002247399
Publisher: Harper Voyager (July 12, 2011)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B004XISI4A

The kobo one is:
HarperCollins Publishers, July 2011
ISBN: 9780007442454

And the Now you See Her is the same as yours - Amazon is Cornerstone, Kobo is Random House. That also doesn't make much sense - I thought a publisher had "exclusive" rights in a region. How can two publishers share the same rights? Maybe they are part of the same group.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #32
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
Sadly, I find it extremely rare that Kobo matches or undercuts Amazon.

I tend to look at both sites for a book I might like, and then buy the cheapest, which is Amazon 90% of the time. Often the difference is 50-100%

Borders Australia gets a rare look-in for Australian-centric books.....

John
(Still enjoying Hokkaido, although it is now officially autumn already!)
I'm finding the same thing - but over the last month or so Kobo has NEVER been cheaper. Prior to this most books were cheaper on kobo.

It will start getting cold in Hokkaido soon but first you'll get the gorgeous autumn colours. Will you be up there for the ski season? Enjoy.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #33
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Molman,

Here's the A Dance with Dragons publisher details for the Amazon book - same as yours in Australia:

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 2166 KB
Print Length: 1040 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0002247399
Publisher: Harper Voyager (July 12, 2011)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B004XISI4A

The kobo one is:
HarperCollins Publishers, July 2011
ISBN: 9780007442454

And the Now you See Her is the same as yours - Amazon is Cornerstone, Kobo is Random House. That also doesn't make much sense - I thought a publisher had "exclusive" rights in a region. How can two publishers share the same rights? Maybe they are part of the same group.
Hmm.. interesting. Well count yourself lucky, for whatever reason it seems Amazon is likely setting the price for GRRM:aDwD for you (NZ region), whilst for us in AU the publisher has dictated a price (hence why it says "This price was set by the publisher" under the price for me. I believe in the infancy of the Kindle store AU uses tended to get the US prices, but I guess the local/regional divisions of the publishers weren't happy about the effect on their efforts. Lots of politics regarding meeting targets etc. in these big old companies.

RE: "Now you see her", you are right, Cornerstone is part of the Random House Group (see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_House), still it seems like the dynamics are different for some of the Kindle releases. I get the sense there is a more independent negotiation, verses a more generic/dictated price for the .epub retailers.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #34
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I'm finding the same thing - but over the last month or so Kobo has NEVER been cheaper. Prior to this most books were cheaper on kobo.
That's a real shame as their should be more parity if they are going to do this regional pricing model. Might also be that the authors/books you like fall inline with those Amazon sells cheaper.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #35
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've been buying some agency priced books from Angus & Robinson AU. It's a Kobo operated website , but not Kobo branded. I always look there if I am interested in a Penguin imprint. Penguin has not been available at all (once again) as a Kindle book, and is usually more on the Kobo site. An example: Three day Road, a Canadian prize winning book, was $20 at Kobo, unavailable as a Kindle book, and was $12.99 AU through A&R. With the exchange rate, buying from A&R is about the same in CAD with GST added in.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #36
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I just noticed that James Patterson's "Now You See Her" is listed at $10.34 on the Australian Kobo website. I tried the $1 off coupon and that brought it down to $9.34.
I just saw a post about a 20% off code which would reduce the price even more - down to about $8.27. This book is still listed at $9.99 on Amazon.
Dance with Dragons is still $15.99 at Kobo - I don't know whether the discount codes would work or not as I haven't tried.

I'm really pleased Kobo has finally decided to do some more discount codes - it really does make them the cheapest option quite often.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #37
winsomnia
Zealot
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo touch
FYI, Kobo's email with the 20% off code save20offer includes a legal disclaimer at the bottom:

This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer or promotion and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Discount code is valid for one time 20% off any eBook purchase excluding those from the following publishers: In the UK - Zondervan, Random House, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Wiley and all respective subsidiary imprints. In the US - Hachette Book Group USA, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Macmillan, Zondervan, Wiley, Random House and all respective subsidiary imprints. In CA - Zondervan, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, Hachette Book Group, Penguin, Wiley, and Macmillan. In AU/NZ - Zondervan, Wiley, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins and all respective subsidiary imprints. Newspapers and magazines are excluded from this offer. Promotional code must be entered at time of purchase to qualify for this discount. Discounts cannot be applied nor the discount value refunded once a purchase is complete. We reserve the right to change or end this offer at any time without notice.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 AM   #38
molman
Evangelist

@HarleyB: As I believe I said early on I've found Kobo pretty good (i.e. competitive) when looked at broadly. Kindle seems more oft to have some nice pricing on the more popular books (at least for me downunder, I think the US tends to have some nicer pricing generally).

@winsomnia: I believe it has always been that way for agency books (the publishers listed in the disclaimer). I think from memory it lets you know at checkout that said discount can't be applied if you try (as I found when trying one early on). Anyway thanks for the clarity for those who did not receive the email.