Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note that use of such software is a criminal offence in some countries, including the United States. Please ensure that it is legal for you to use such a tool before doing so.
Actually, in the US, use is not illegal. Writing and and distributing it in the US is illegal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catter View Post
Hi there,

I'm also very interested to get rid of the DRM in my (legally obtained) Mobipocket ebooks.

Has anybody still a copy of mb-04.zip?

I could upload it to a anonymous filehoster like rapidshare to help it spread.

I was not able to find it in file sharing networks either.

Thanks so far...
MP 0.4 relies on code from MobiPocket/iRex in order to run. You have to have their Java based MobiPocket reader in order to use it. So unless you have the JAR files needed to go along with 0.4, just having 0.4 won't allow you to break the DRM from MobiPocket books. That being said, since you don't have an iLiad, MP .04 will not work for you at all.
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #18
catter
catter began at the beginning.

Device: N800
Thanks for you answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
MP 0.4 relies on code from MobiPocket/iRex in order to run. You have to have their Java based MobiPocket reader in order to use it. So unless you have the JAR files needed to go along with 0.4, just having 0.4 won't allow you to break the DRM from MobiPocket books. That being said, since you don't have an iLiad, MP .04 will not work for you at all.
Ok, I'm aware of that problem. Would anybody still be so kind and could provide me with a copy? Or would anyone upload it to a anonymous filehoster?

I'm very interested to have a look at it. The downtime of mobipocket.com and especially their information policy made me worry about the future of my ebooks.

Again, many thanks for your help...
catter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Actually, in the US, use is not illegal. Writing and and distributing it in the US is illegal.

Wikipedia's article on the DMCA disagrees with you, Jon:

Quote:
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law which implements two 1996 WIPO treaties. It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services that are used to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as DRM) and criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, even when there is no infringement of copyright itself.
The text which I've emphased appears to say that removal of DRM is illegal, even when no infringement of copyright is involved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wikipedia's article on the DMCA disagrees with you, Jon:

The text which I've emphasized appears to say that removal of DRM is illegal, even when no infringement of copyright is involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
"The DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions don't prohibit the mere possession or use of a section 1201(b)(1) circumvention technology (copy controls), so it's legal to use AEBPR in a non-infringing way. Paradoxically, although it is legal for people to bypass these controls and exercise fair use rights, the provision of them is illegal under Section 1201."
See the EFF page on this topic.
I did take a look at the link and this is correct.
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Wikipedia's article on the DMCA disagrees with you,
I wouldn't want to bet my life on the complete validity of something found in Wikipedia.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #22
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
As I mentioned in the "Secure Mobipocket Decoder v0.3"-thread, in the EU there's this EUCD (European Copyright Directive), which is much like the DMCA. But it's really bad they actually made use of it
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I wouldn't want to bet my life on the complete validity of something found in Wikipedia.
True. When it is simply quoting material from a law, though, it's reasonable to trust it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #24
nbl530
nbl530 began at the beginning.

Device: Symbian noki 3230
Plzzz need help (urgent)!!!
I have an ebook that is DRMed and I did understand nothing of what you said cauz I m a beginner
The file is Vidalpda...
My mobipocket device is Symbian ...
Plz need your help for removing the DRM...
Thanks

Last edited by nbl530; 04-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.
nbl530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm sorry, have you read section 1201 of the US Copyright act as ammended by the DMCA of 1998?

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html

Unless based on paragrah (D) the librarian of congress has deemed that ebooks are exempt from 1201(A). ???

BOb

(Though technically not "illegal" but a copyright infringment which is a civil offense which becomes criminal if you are doing it for profit.)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #26
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sorry, have you read section 1201 of the US Copyright act as ammended by the DMCA of 1998?

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html

Unless based on paragrah (D) the librarian of congress has deemed that ebooks are exempt from 1201(A). ???

BOb

(Though technically not "illegal" but a copyright infringment which is a civil offense which becomes criminal if you are doing it for profit.)
I wonder if that is something the folks on the other side of the pond can use against the OP. If there was a donation's button on the page for the download that could potentially be construed as selling. It's also why many try and circumvent that portion of the law by adding a disclaimer on a page that donations are for maintaining the site and it's related expenses. Not sure how well that might work, but those who do it better keep copious records of donations and expenses. Mostly because PP will roll over like a $2 hooker on 25¢ night for law enforcement and hand over all records pretty much w/o a warrant or court order. A simple fax on departmental letterhead is sufficent for them. It used to be in their TOS but not sure if it ever changed.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Search for MobiDeDRM and you'll find what you are looking for. Also, you'll want to get version .01 and version .02 an neither is perfect and where one version works, the other may not.

Tags
decoder, drm, mobipocket