Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I found a way around the Entourage Edge Hibernation issue?

I was using my edge several of hours ago and needed to shut it down real quick, so I hit the shutdown button and it brought up the shutdown and silent mode options. I ended up closing the edge before making the option of shutting down. So my EE sat for about 2 hours and then I went to turn it on. I hit the power button then proceeded to open the edge only to find that it was hibernating. Just out of curiosity I hit the menu switch and it resumed my session

So from then to now I've been trying to find out what I did to trigger this event, and here are my findings:

Attempt 1: Brought up the power option screen, closed for 20 minutes, hit the power button, opened and hit the menu button ... success

Attempt 2: Did not bring up the power option screen, closed for 15 minutes, hit the power button, opened and hit the menu button ... failure

Attempt 3: Brought up the power option screen, closed for 40 minutes, hit the power button, opened and hit the menu button ... success

Attempt 4: Brought up the power option screen, closed for 50 minutes, did not hit the power button, opened and hit the menu button ... failure, then tried to close it again, hit the power button, open it, and wake it up and ... failure again.

Now I'm going to Bring up the power option screen, close overnight, hit the power button, open and hit the menu button, and figure out once and for all if this is legit for me. [update] I could not get it to resume. I'm suspecting that it will not resume the second time you try to hibernate it as glenj said was normal. I'll try a couple more times to see if I can wake it up in succession, but it seems to me that I jumped the gun.

Please feel free to try and see if this works for your unit (the bringing up the power options and hitting the power button before trying to resume). It would be nice to fix this issue, and if this work-around works, maybe someone smarter than me can figure out a permanent fix.

(also to note, the device was not charging during any of these experiments)

[edit] scroll on down to comment #21 for a nice work around for the hibernation issue and the discussion about it afterwards.

Last edited by mokel22; 07-30-2011 at 04:55 PM.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Interesting!

My EE has only failed to come out of hibernation once (and my PE never), so I can't help with the experiment. But you may be onto something!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
glenj
glenj began at the beginning.

When you do your experiments, remember that it's been reported that the first hibernation after a start up usually works. I'd repeat your success cases multiple times to make sure that it wasn't just a one time fluke.
glenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur
Erminio Mostacci began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, iRex DR 1000, Cybook Gen3
Lightbulb TESTS & results.

Hi,
Today I made ​​a couple of tests, the procedure exactly as described.
It worked the first time, not the second.

Detail case OK.
1 - Pressing the power button - 2 - Close lid - 3 - Closing time: 10 minutes - 4 - second press of the Power button - 5 Pressure button menu.

Detail event NOT OK.
1 - Pressing the power button - 2 - Close lid - 3 - Closing time: 180 minutes - 4 - second press of the Power button - 5 Pressure button menu.

In any case, I want to proceed with other tests.

Thanks, I think an important contribution that deserves to reconsider the case of hibernation. I hope that others contribute with their experiences and evidence in this regard.

Ciao.
Erminio Mostacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Update 003
Detail case OK.
1 - Pressing the power button - 2 - Close lid - 3 Closing time: about 30 minutes - 4 - second press of the Power button - 5 Pressure button menu.

In update 004, I want try phase 3 for about 60 minutes.

I hope that someone else want to try this method.
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenj View Post
When you do your experiments, remember that it's been reported that the first hibernation after a start up usually works. I'd repeat your success cases multiple times to make sure that it wasn't just a one time fluke.
I've never read this before, but your right, I must have jumped the gun because I wanted to hibernate so bad. 2/3 times I tried the screen would not resume after the second trial. Thank you for your contribution glenj!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
It appears to work here. I have tried 4 times with varying lengths of time from half hour at the start to over 4 hours at the end.

Only problem encountered - battery drain, something isn't shutting down, most probably the WiFi.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Thumbs down Final test

For now I ended my test.

Results:

Test 4 - "Closing" time: 70 ' - NOT OK -

Test 5 - "Closing" time: 40 ' - OK -

Test 6 - "Closing" time: 60 ' - NOT OK -

It seems that there is a critical time of approximately 1 hour.
While other devices do not have this situation as insufficient.

So for my case I can hope that in future we may discover other useful workarounds, tips and tricks .
Old 07-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
The more I read of peoples experiences the more I am drawn to the conclusion the are at least three versions of the internal hardware chip sets possibly due to change in suppliers. While that doesn't solve the problems it does explain the varying results we are seeing.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
The more I read of peoples experiences the more I am drawn to the conclusion the are at least three versions of the internal hardware chip sets possibly due to change in suppliers. While that doesn't solve the problems it does explain the varying results we are seeing.
@ivanjt

Is there a method/program/app to use to read the hardware/software data specifics IOT build a 'database'? Device serial numbers may also lend a method to determine which 'phase' ones device falls into.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
mokel22
Zealot

Thank you Erminio Mostacci, ivanjt, and Gunnerp245. I assure you that the help your providing is very appreciated.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

It should be a good idea to write Serial number of our EE.
So maybe we can understand something else.
Substantially I agree with ivanjt's hypothesis of at least three different hardware components. For me, it should be very interesting to know more about this aspect, with other testers. I think that linux kernel version is the same, then difference should be in some chip HW. Or maybe can some installed SW cause this data's dispersion?
Anyway, later I'll write my S.N.
Ciao.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
mokel22
Zealot

Should we start a new thread for S/N submissions and hibernation status so more people will see it? Either way my S/N is: MF20530100305
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Hi mokel22,
do you know where can I find S.N, there is on EE, but is witten very little. In Settings menu ---> About edge I can't find...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Ok, I found in the box!

S.N.: BF20434100121
P/N: 100-9500002-BLK

Other info, from menu Settings ---> About eDGe

Model number: edge
Android version: 2.2.1
Kernel version: 2.6.34 buildmaster@zeke #1
Build number: ERMINE-0-9

Tags
entourage edge, fix, hibernation issue