Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #46
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: This one, and that one too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
... the steam makes the perception of heat much more intense than in a dry sauna, so that is why it feels more hot when in reality it is not. If steam baths had the same temperature of a dry sauna, you skin would be scalded.

I think separating sexes in saunas is a bit too much... i can't think of a place less inviting for sexy thoughts as a sauna
I so wish the germans would think the same, but on one or two occasions, I caught them thinking otherwise
Which is one of the reasons why we moved.
No, just kidding

Turkish baths (what you call steam baths) are way "colder" imo than scandinavian (dry) saunas are, but the perception is different. I would not want to bring my ereader in neither ones though.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #47
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kingzone K1, HTC Titan, Acer Aspire 1825PT, Archos 101
Hotter than hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
OT:
Well, actually a dry sauna may very well be 100 Celsius. Dry heat can in no way be compared to hot steam.
The type of sauna where you put water on the heater is usually around 60-80 Celsius. A steam sauna yet a little bit cooler (or less hot).
I'm from a sauna-lovong part of the world, but don't particularly enjoy them myself.
See Wikipedia on World Sauna Championships. "The starting temperature in the men's competition was 110 °C (230 °F)." Extreme idiocy that did not end well.

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #48
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, iPad, GS3, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Turkish baths (what you call steam baths) are way "colder" imo than scandinavian (dry) saunas are, but the perception is different. I would not want to bring my ereader in neither ones though.
We have steam rooms, which are like enclosed showers. There is no standing water, just condensation.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #49
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OPUS/PB360,Nexus 7,GzONE, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I figure if people can walk on hot coals, they might be able to sit in a 100 C sauna.

I lived 7 years in Russia. That is reason enough to enjoy a hot sauna, And yes one of the saunas I go too is usually between 100 and 105 Celsius and the second one between 80 and 90...hot, hot hot.......and love it....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #50
oooooooo
oooooooo began at the beginning.

Device: SGS 3
[Even though this is *old* I still answer]

This was quite fun to read . I'll try to point out some things though. These concern only finnish sauna and similar ones (russian too?).

- Heat is usually 80 - 120C (176F-248F). It does not burn you alive and actually feels ok. It's ok to spend something like 5-20 minutes a time but you must take care of proper hydration to avoid dehydration between sittings.
- When you throw water (usually few desilitres a time) to the rocks humidity increases A LOT and makes you sweat. This humidity also makes you feel "pain" like sensation for a short while when the steam distributes in the room. But throwing water is what makes sauna a sauna. It feels really good. In some countries throwing water is prohibited for some reason . It does NOT break electric kiuas (sorry, i dont know english term).
- You do NOT lose weight or fat (except very small amounts). This is because of very high humidity. You still need to take care of hydration...
- It's no place for sex, really. And its completely ok to use swimming pants if you want (but not in germany i believe).
- Sauna World championship is really extreme competition. Last time Russian finalist died in it (he took painkillers to endure pain) and finnish finalist injured very badly due to burns. This competition is really sick. In normal circumstances there's no way to get injury if you don't throw whole bucket of water at once .

I don't really understand why anyone would take newspaper or anything else to sauna as they would wet or break from the humidity. It just sounds ridiculous to me.

Last edited by oooooooo; 08-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.
oooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #51
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OPUS/PB360,Nexus 7,GzONE, Kobo Mini
I usually do 10 to 15 minutes in the Sauna.... wear a Timex Ironman or Caiso Gshock to keep track of the time. Reading in a Sauna...never reallly interested me.. for me it is a zone out place... some of the public Saunas have music or TV.... very therapeutic IMO...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, heat damage, sauna