Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Nook touch cable?

Is the Nook Touch USB cable a standard USB cable? I tried a cable I had for a cell phone charger, but it didn't appear to work. When I plugged it in, the NT said charging temporarily and the orange light went on, but XP never saw the Nook. When I unplugged the cable, the orange light did not go off; I needed to do a full power off/on to get the orange light to turn off.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is the Nook Touch USB cable a standard USB cable? I tried a cable I had for a cell phone charger, but it didn't appear to work. When I plugged it in, the NT said charging temporarily and the orange light went on, but XP never saw the Nook. When I unplugged the cable, the orange light did not go off; I needed to do a full power off/on to get the orange light to turn off.
yes it is
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
To confirm what the poster above stated, it is a 'regular' micro usb cable thats required for the Touch.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad Air 2, Fire HD6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There are several 'standards', so it depends what you mean.

The one for Nook Touch is 'Standard A to Micro B'. It's the same as the one I use for my Kindle, and I believe, for both Nook 'classic' and Nook Color.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are several 'standards', so it depends what you mean.

The one for Nook Touch is 'Standard A to Micro B'. It's the same as the one I use for my Kindle, and I believe, for both Nook 'classic' and Nook Color.
Not the Color. You could use the 'standard' micro usb for data between computer and Color successfully. However, for full power charging, the Colors usb cable has an extra pin that 'standard' usb cable do not have.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, PB360, 2 x Sony PRS-505, Nook Color (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
Not the Color. You could use the 'standard' micro usb for data between computer and Color successfully. However, for full power charging, the Colors usb cable has an extra pin that 'standard' usb cable do not have.
I've charged my Color with a regular micro usb cable. It's drastically slower, but works if you leave the screen off.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks everyone, I'll give the "other" cable another try (maybe it isn't "standard").
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
cfrock
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
I've charged my Color with a regular micro usb cable. It's drastically slower, but works if you leave the screen off.
Agreed. Thats why I said 'full power charging'. A regular micro usb will charge the Color very very slowly. As you said, even the screen being on will drain the Color faster than a regular cable can charge it simultaneously.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
There's something strange with this cable. I have two Nook Touches, one is my daughter's. Hers connects fine to the computer with any USB cable. Mine will connect cleanly only with a Nook cable. Any other USB cable will result in the Nook connecting and disconnecting every 30 seconds or so.

I find this *really* annoying. I have dozens of micro USB cables around the house. I hate having to keep track of one for the Nook.

Does anyone understand why this would be so??
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Only thing I can think of is that the pins on the nook might be slightly off and for whatever reason the cable for your nook touch just happens to line up better.

I don't have any problems with the 3 different micro USB cables I have tried for my nook touch.

As for a specific cable not working with a nook touch or any other micro USB device to connect for data to your computer, it might not be a micro USB data cable. Some cables are for charging only and have ONLY two wires in the cable for pwr/grnd and leave out the serial data wires to save a couple of cents in making the cable. Some cell phone cables are like this (at least for the feature phones that charge via micro USB).

So it'll charge over the cable, but it can't connect to your computer.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
It's a total mystery to me. Maybe the two Nooks are slightly different in some way. I've heard from some sources that you are supposed to use only the Nook cables, but my reader is the only one that seems to have that issue of all the ones that I've seen.

I asked B&N about it, but they don't think that it's a problem.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote