Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
msmith301
msmith301 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Returning to previous pages from endnotes?

I am reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, a free download from Barnes and Nobles. In this book there are a lot of links to notes at the back of the book. The problem I am having is once I have read the note I can not find an easy way to link back to the page I was reading other than using the bookmark feature in the contents section or using the page scroll bar.
Is there an easier/quick tool to going back to the page you were on before going to the endnotes?
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad Air 2, Fire HD6
Most properly authored ebooks have a backlink to the original reference. If that's the case here, and you know which of the footnotes you followed the reference for, you can click that.

On Nook STR, there's a 'Back' button to take you back (as long as you don't advance the page before attempting this). I think NookColor has the same feature, but different implementation: swipe from right to left on status bar. Hopefully someone else can confirm this, I don't have a NC.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The nook color will have a Back button at the top of the screen, but only for a few seconds (and not, generally, long enough to read the damn footnote). I'm not sure if swiping works the same, though, because the only books I've read with footnotes so far have had proper links back to the page I came from anyway.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Others (sold/gifted); iPad Air; Kindle PW2,Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The nook color will have a Back button at the top of the screen, but only for a few seconds (and not, generally, long enough to read the damn footnote). I'm not sure if swiping works the same, though, because the only books I've read with footnotes so far have had proper links back to the page I came from anyway.
I recall that. Thankfully, that didn't carry over to the Touch. The Back button stays there long enough.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I recall that. Thankfully, that didn't carry over to the Touch. The Back button stays there long enough.
Except when it doesn't (when you have to turn the page to read the rest of a footnote, look up a word, etc.). It's generally not a problem, though—just something to be aware of.

I'd like to see a 'History' panel added to Content. This would log reading locations as you jump around, and give you the breadcrumbs to retrace your steps (in either direction, like a browser). It would include reading locations from any books you open, so it would be another way to jump back and forth between books, but without having to make a stop in the Library in between. And the world would live in peace and harmony, forever.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Except when it doesn't (when you have to turn the page to read the rest of a footnote, look up a word, etc.). It's generally not a problem, though—just something to be aware of.

I'd like to see a 'History' panel added to Content. This would log reading locations as you jump around, and give you the breadcrumbs to retrace your steps (in either direction, like a browser). It would include reading locations from any books you open, so it would be another way to jump back and forth between books, but without having to make a stop in the Library in between. And the world would live in peace and harmony, forever.
Plus, it would help when you spill iced tea on your touch screen and it jumps 400 pages by itself. Note to self: if I'm going to use a touch screen book reader, I need to stop drooling.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
msmith301
msmith301 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I just also realized while playing around with it that to go back all you have to do is retap the footnote indicator again and it will bring you back to its original location when you first tapped it.
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Can't you tap the middle of the screen, select "go to", and then tap "back"? Of course, now that I want one, I can't seem to find an endnote. But, I think that's how I returned to the proper spot to continue reading when my note page didn't have a return link.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
tomsem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Can't you tap the middle of the screen, select "go to", and then tap "back"? Of course, now that I want one, I can't seem to find an endnote. But, I think that's how I returned to the proper spot to continue reading when my note page didn't have a return link.
That only works if you navigate with the page navigator.