Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Hamlet53
History of God
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Muffin the spy?

So I recently read the June 2011 Mobile Read Book Club selection, The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. Meh . I also recently read a couple of the nominated books that did note win the vote. The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst that I found to be an excellent espionage novel. Also The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré, once more excellent. Though for the last I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not already seen the film a number of times. I thus already knew the plot, including the twist ending. That and however le Carré wanted the reader to envision Leamas, I could not imagine anyone but Richard Burton.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is this. A number of years ago I watched a few episodes of a British TV series about another Cold War spy. I am fairly certain that the hero, a British intelligence agent, was named “Muffin.” Seriously . I am wondering if this was based on a book? I thought it might be an alternate character, to George Smiley, of le Carré's. Not so though. Any intelligence on this matter would be much appreciated.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Are you perhaps thinking of Charlie Muffin by Brian Freemantle? It's a Cold War spy novel from the 1970s. I don't know if it was on TV, but I believe it was made into a movie.

Last edited by Mike L; 06-22-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Formatting
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Hamlet53
History of God
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Thank you. A Google search revealed that is it. The book Charlie M. by Freemantle was indeed made into a movie, released as A Deadly Game here in the US. Either the movie was later serialized, or my memory is playing tricks on me in thinking it was multi-episode. Apparently Charlie M. was just the first in a long series of books by Freemantle featuring the Charlie Muffin character.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote