Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Pandigital Novel questions

So the Pandigital Novel Personal 6" just arrived today. To make it work with calibre, all I had to do was change the "send to device" template to put books in the eBooks folder. Easy peasy.

But I have a question, and while is not specifically calibre related, I figured the device gurus here would be more likely to know the answer.

The Pandigital stores an xml file for each book in ..\eBooks\.info\. The file names are title.epub.info and they contain book info as follows:

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book>
	<info>
		<title>Last of the Mohicans (Barnes &amp; Noble Classics Series)</title>
		<author>James Fenimore Cooper</author>
		<thumbnail>/mnt/mmc/mmc0p2/eBooks/.thumbnail/9781411432512-ePub.v2.epub.jpg</thumbnail>
		<bn_date_added></bn_date_added>
		<publish-time>2010-01-01T00:00:00</publish-time>
		<download-time>2010-01-01T00:00:00</download-time>
		<mark-count>0</mark-count>
		<note-count>0</note-count>
		<hili-count>0</hili-count>
		<page-count>1</page-count>
		<last-read-link></last-read-link>
		<last-read-page>-1</last-read-page>
		<next-note-id>1</next-note-id>
		<font-size>0</font-size>
		<page-mode>0</page-mode>
		<cepub-icon>0</cepub-icon>
		<bookshelf>My Library|$D#!eBooks|$D#!Classics|$D#!</bookshelf>
	</info>
	<marks/>
</book>

You can see that the bookshelf info at the bottom indicates which shelves (similar to collections) the book is assigned to.

My question is do any other devices use this method?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Nards Barley
Nards Barley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Touch
CWatkinsNash,

I received my reader as well yesterday. I transferred books to the device, but it did not create collections from the tags I had assigned. Were collections created for you?
Nards Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
My question is do any other devices use this method?
Not that I know of, though the SONY uses a couple of xml files to store book metadata for all books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
@Kovid - Thanks for replying. I was hoping there was a precedent I could follow on. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nards Barley View Post
CWatkinsNash,

I received my reader as well yesterday. I transferred books to the device, but it did not create collections from the tags I had assigned. Were collections created for you?
On the Pandigital? No, but due to the way it stores the bookshelf information I wasn't expecting it to. That's why I asked if any other ereaders used a similar method, to see if I could exploit it to my advantage.

My roommate (who is using the reader) hasn't expressed much interest in organizing the books onto shelves yet. If he does, I may just use Notepad++ to open the desired book info files onto multiple tabs and use a regex search & replace to add the bookshelf info to all open files. It should work. It's still a manual method, but it should be a lot faster than doing it on the device.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote