Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Dries
Dries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KOBO Aura H2O
Am I missing something?

With 3000 ebooks: how can search on titel or autor.
Sorting on both is a mess. Where can I filter on tags?
And a title starting with a Z? Do I have to slide with my finger from A till the end?
Dries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
A search will look at the title, author and series name.

How is sorting a mess? The five choices work exactly as named.

Kobo do no load tags in any way, hence no filtering.

All the lists are circular. Scroll back from the first page and you get to the end and forward from the last takes you to the start. To get somewhere else, tap the "Page x of y" and popup will prompt for the page number to go to.

As you are probably a new Kobo user, have a look at here for the basic UI standards.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dries View Post
And a title starting with a Z? Do I have to slide with my finger from A till the end?
If you're using calibre, you can tell it to create collections based upon columns in calibre. I'm not sure how well it would handle a large library (which would presumably have many collections), but it is worth a try.

There are also alternative readers that allow you to organize books in a filesystem hierarchy, though that sounds insufficient for your particular needs.
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Quote:
Koreader (an alternative/add on reader) Has search functions both for its File Manager and for searching using the catalog file calibre maintains. If you use calibre to send books to your device, the calibre tags can be used to filter the results. If you wish to browse the file structure you can, so if the file structure were category folders (Mystery, Fantasy, SciFi, History, ect...) with Author folders containing the ebook files, with file names that provided useful organization (such as including place within a series) it is easy to locate a book. Also, easy to find a new book to read, matching your mood, amongst your 3000. [At least I find it so with my >7000 ebook on device library]

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Dries
Dries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blueDries can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thanks Ken. All though the KoReader could be a sollution, I wil not install that myself.
On those points that I had questions about, I am disilllusioned by the Kobo H2O.
I think Calibre is a sollution for me. Just copying the titles I think I wish to read at my next vacation and after that deleting them again.

Dries
Old 05-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Dries

About sorting on autor I become:

Baantjes A.C.
Buthler
Ladykiller 1
Maria Genova
Ghada Abdel
Heidi Aalbrecht
Aardenburg, A. van

I have 40 titles Baantjer.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
There's a sticky in this forum on how to use Calibre to create and manage collections on your Kobo. This works beautifully (if you follow the directions correctly).

If you know you're looking for a particular title or author, don't fumble through your entire sorted library; use Search instead.

Searching always works as it should for me. Make you you check the dropdown on the right to make sure you're searching your library on the device, not the Kobo store or the book you're currently reading. I'm not sure exactly what trouble you're having with search. Can you explain more clearly?

Without more information, I suspect that your problem right now is that you don't know how to use your device yet. That happens to everyone. Read and learn and try things out, and that will change quickly.

Last edited by meeera; 05-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
About sorting on autor I become:

Baantjes A.C.
Buthler
Ladykiller 1
Maria Genova
Ghada Abdel
Heidi Aalbrecht
Aardenburg, A. van

I have 40 titles Baantjer.
Is that the order those authors are sorted in on your H2O? If so, there is something strange going on. Sorting on the Kobo devices has been discussed a bit here. The best discussion I can find quickly is Sorting authors with space in last name. That is from a while ago, but I haven't noticed any changes since. Based on that, the order I would expect to see those authors is:

Code:
Ladykiller 1
Aardenburg, A. van
Heidi Aalbrecht
Aardenburg, A. van
Ghada Abdel
Buthler
Maria Genova
I'm not completely sure about the first two. I think the number from "Ladykiller 1" will put it first and I am reasonably sure that "Baantjes A.C." will sort before the other A's. If I find some time, I might try to see exactly what the order is.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Code:
Ladykiller 1
Aardenburg, A. van
Heidi Aalbrecht
Aardenburg, A. van
Ghada Abdel
Buthler
Maria Genova
How did I do that? One out of order and one missing. I've just tested and what I get is:

Code:
Ladykiller 1
Heidi Aalbrecht
Aardenburg, A. van
Ghada Abdel
Baantjes A.C.
Buthler
Maria Genova

Tags
searching, tags