Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #241
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it wouldn't be one you can see while reading. but it will be locked in your copy so if you make a hundred copies and pass them out those copies can be traced to you.
If I buy a book that I origionally download on to an old used laptop that I payed cashfor at the garage sale I passed on the road going to visit great aunt Bertha...
Using a WiFi signal from a resturaunt I park outside of as my wife goes in to use the ladies room...
And Pay with a Preloaded Mastercard from the checout at walmart - also bought with cash...

They can trace what, exactly?

This isn't a utility bill, and no proof of residence or photo ID is required anywhere along the way.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #242
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You didn't. We were just trying to point out who it was you were correcting.
And if you WERE trying to start a fight with DiapDealer, then unless you happen be, say, Dark Reverser under another name, it would not have been much of a fight.
I truely was not. There is a big different between fighting (i.e. to "win") and attacking something you think is wrong. It turns out in this case that I was wrong and not up to date.

[Anyway, lets get back on topic, sorry for the diversion.]
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Can someone please explain to me how digital watermarking isn't digital rights management (DRM)?

If the answer is "it doesn't lock you into a device!" then I have a different, broader definition of DRM than that. (Perhaps I'm wrong.)
It is DRM; it's generally called "social DRM". eReader have been using it for many years - you have to unlock an eReader book with the number of the credit card used to purchase it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #244
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
If I buy a book that I origionally download on to an old used laptop that I payed cashfor at the garage sale I passed on the road going to visit great aunt Bertha...
Using a WiFi signal from a resturaunt I park outside of as my wife goes in to use the ladies room...
And Pay with a Preloaded Mastercard from the checout at walmart - also bought with cash...

They can trace what, exactly?

This isn't a utility bill, and no proof of residence or photo ID is required anywhere along the way.
Which is why I fear that your CC# is getting slapped into that epub. Or a representation of it.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #245
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Which is why I fear that your CC# is getting slapped into that epub. Or a representation of it.
Why? eReader have been doing exactly that for goodness-knows how many years. It's an accepted DRM mechanism.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #246
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
ePub is really the only eBook format that can duplicate the book experience with all the different fonts used in the books. I hope they do stuff like that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #247
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Wired magazine published an excellent article. They seem to feel sure this is an important new direction for eBooks in general....
Wired also thinks that anything that's remotely affected by electrons is an Important New Direction.

I'm sure someone mentioned it by now, but Paidcontent believes Overdrive will provide the platform services, which would explain a few recent developments. http://paidcontent.org/article/419-y...r-e-bookstore/
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #248
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is DRM; it's generally called "social DRM". eReader have been using it for many years - you have to unlock an eReader book with the number of the credit card used to purchase it.
Right, B&N uses this.

But -- and this is crucial to me, perhaps wrongly so -- the CC# isn't stored in the epub file which is sent over the 3G/WiFi.

As far as I know, if you hacked my computer and grabbed my downloaded B&N books, you wouldn't be able to extract my CC# from my epub copy of "Vampire Little Women.

Am I wrong?

ALSO: If Digital Watermarks are DRM, and I think they are, then the meme that the HP books are "DRM FREE!" needs to be quashed now.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #249
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Why? eReader have been doing exactly that for goodness-knows how many years. It's an accepted DRM mechanism.
Not by me. Ouch !
EowynCarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #250
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Because unless I've misunderstood something, the idea of making it possible to identify who purchased the ebook FROM the epub file is NOT what ereaders have been doing.

I buy from Kobo, I get an Adobe DRM book. You need my credentials to read it, yes, but if someone hacks my computer and grabs the file (or intercepts it during download), they can't extract my credentials. My name, my credit card information, etc. are NOT embedded in the epub coming from the Adobe servers.

Same with the B&N social DRM -- I don't think it's possible to intercept the download and extract the CC# from the epub, because I don't think the CC# is IN the epub.

Rowling Inc is saying that if they download an HP copy off of torrent, then can crack that file open and find a person. Therefore, the person's identify must be IN that file, or linked to their database. THAT is new, or am I wrong?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #251
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I just figured out an interesting connection with Pottermore and Sony. Rowling said this was happening in October. What else happens in October?

NEW SONY READERS!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #252
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just figured out an interesting connection with Pottermore and Sony. Rowling said this was happening in October. What else happens in October?

NEW SONY READERS!
Yeah, the other thread actually mentioned a possibility for "HP themed" Sony readers.

RESERVE YOUR SONY SNAPE TODAY!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #253
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

NEW SONY READERS!
Also Halloween happens.

And the Library of Congress begins accepting input for DMCA exemptions.

Coincidence...?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #254
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Honestly anything on DRM, even thier non existance, seams pure speculation at this point. If someone have an official source ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.
EowynCarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #255
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Great. We will have harry potter branded sony readers that will come preloaded with all the books and in order to secure them you will not be able to load anything else on them
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote