Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
[Conversion Output] KePub Output Plugin

This plugin allows creating KePub files without requiring a Kobo device to be connected.Converted books are saved to the calibre library as the 'KEPUB' format. ePub books processed with this plugin and sent to a modern Kobo device will be rendered using Kobo's internal kepub renderer instead of the standard ePub renderer.

WARNING: THE CONVERSION OUTPUT FORMAT PLUGIN GENERATES FILES WHOSE INTERNAL STRUCTURE IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. THE KEPUB FILE STRUCTURE IS NOT YET FULLY UNDERSTOOD. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DELETE THE FILES FOR THE SOURCE FORMAT. ALWAYS HAVE A NON-KEPUB FORMAT FOR YOUR BOOKS.

The main benefits of using the kepub renderer (which some may prefer not to have) are:
  • Page numbers show the number of page turns remaining in the current chapter instead of the estimated number of pages for the entire book.
    • If you don't want this and want the total number of pages in the book, open the file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf and add the line FullBookPageNumbers=true under the FeatureSettings section (or update it if it already exists)
    • If you don't have a FeatureSettings section (a line that has "[FeatureSettings]" on it) then you can just add the section to the file. A minimal FeatureSettings section looks like this:
      Code:
      [FeatureSettings]
      FullBookPageNumbers=true
    • If you use the KoboTouchExtended plugin, there is a setting in the driver settings to force this setting.
  • Reading statistics (time left in this chapter, time for the next chapter, time to complete the book)
  • The book title is shown at the top of each page.
  • The chapter title, if any, is shown at the bottom of each page with the page numbers.

Usage
To use this plugin after installing:
  • Select the book(s) you want to convert.
  • Select the KEPUB output format
  • Choose your settings
  • Convert the books

WARNING: THE CONVERSION OUTPUT FORMAT PLUGIN GENERATES FILES WHOSE INTERNAL STRUCTURE IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. THE KEPUB FILE STRUCTURE IS NOT YET FULLY UNDERSTOOD. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DELETE THE FILES FOR THE SOURCE FORMAT. ALWAYS HAVE A NON-KEPUB FORMAT FOR YOUR BOOKS.

Special Notes
  • This plugin requires calibre 1.3.0 or later and is only tested with calibre 1.10.0.
  • This device plugin enables access to Kobo features that are written with the expectation that only unmodified Kobo-purchased books will be used. Do not approach Kobo for support unless you see the exact same issue with a book purchased from Kobo and synced to your device via Kobo Desktop or direct wireless download.
  • Conversion defaults can be set in Preferences -> Output

Installation Directions
Open Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins and install the 'KePub Output' plugin. You may also download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to Plugins thread.

Known Issues
Not everything works perfectly all the time. Here are some of the issues I know about that are likely to stick around for a while.
Spoiler:
Nothing for now!

Contributing
Decided you want to contribute to the development of this plugin? Awesome! If you want to contribute to the development of this plugin, you have many options:
  • Contribute code, whether for existing bug reports, for new bugs that you found, or for new features that you really want to see implemented. To contribute code, you may fork the repository and send a GitHub pull request, or you may send me a PM here with a git patch file. A tutorial on creating a git patch can be found at http://ariejan.net/2009/10/26/how-to...atch-with-git/
  • Submit bug reports on Launchpad. Launchpad bug reports are my to-do list for this plugin; any requests anywhere else are likely to get missed and forgotten. Although I'm happy to discuss the plugin here, I may still ask you to create a bug report; this is so I actually remember to investigate your request!
  • Test pre-released code from GitHub. Between releases, new code is committed to the GitHub repository and may be installed using directions provided in the README file. Based on your testing, you may submit bug reports, provide feedback, think of new feature requests, or just generally enjoy early access (and not necessarily stable code!) to upcoming versions of the plugin.
  • Translate the plugin on the plugin's Launchpad Translations page.

You may also prefer to contribute in some other way. You may donate to me via PayPal, contribute to my fundraiser, or you may also contribute by answering questions from other people who may have issues, purchasing items from my wishlists (not yet linked, I'll get on that soon-ish), continuing to use this plugin and providing feedback, and probably a few other ways I haven't thought of yet.

Submitting Bugs
Found an issue? Have a new feature request? Great, I want to hear from you! Go to the Launchpad issue tracker and submit a new bug report or click the "This bug affects me" link on an existing bug report. To save us all time, please make sure to include the following details:
  • What version of calibre are you running? If this is not the latest version, you will likely be asked to upgrade and confirm that the bug still exists.
  • What version of the plugin are you using? If this is not the latest version, you will likely be asked to upgrade and confirm that the bug still exists.
  • Are you able to send me a book that demonstrates the problem? Please be aware of the directions provided when submitting a new bug which detail how to include a book and what bug options to set.
  • The calibre debug log showing the issue, where possible
    • To get the calibre debug log, select Preferences -> Restart in debug mode and reproduce the issue. The calibre debug log will be displayed shortly after closing calibre.

Although I'm generally perfectly happy to discuss possible issues here, any issues sent to me through any means other than the Launchpad bug tracker (including email, PM, etc.) may be silently ignored. This is not because I don't care! It's because I have a terrible memory, the Launchpad issue tracker is my "to-do list" for this plugin, and there's been instances where I've seen a post or PM here and promptly forgotten all about it until I happened to stumble across the post again later. If you aren't sure if you have an issue, feel free to post here and we can work together to decide if you need to make a new Launchpad issue or not. If you are sure you have an issue, or if you have an error or exception from calibre, post a new issue. It isn't necessary to post here when you make a new issue, I get notified of all new bugs and I check the list regularly. The worst that could possibly happen on Launchpad is the same that could happen here: I'll tell you that it's not a bug and you'll have the opportunity to convince me otherwise!

README file
For ease of reference, the important parts of the README file are hidden behind this Spoiler block. I'll try to remember to keep it up to date, but the current version is always here on GitHub.
Spoiler:

Please note: Modified books are not saved back into your Calibre library to prevent issues with overwriting library configurations unexpectedly, so books are processed in transit to your device every time. In most cases, the extra time required should not be noticeable.

Additionally, a calibre conversion output format plugin is available, allowing you to convert books to KePub format without a supported device.

Download
To download this plugin, either clone the repository or download a snapshot of the master branch by clicking on the big Download ZIP button on the right side of the page.

Installation
The current release version of this plugin may be installed directly within calibre:
  • Open calibre's preferences, choose Plugins, and click Get new plugins
  • Select the KoboTouchExtended plugin from the list of available plugins and click Install
    • Don't see it? You may already have it installed. Restart calibre and see if you are notified of a pending update.
  • Restart calibre

To install the device driver plugin from source, you must rename device_init.py to __init__.py, create a ZIP file named KoboTouchExtended.zip and include these files and folders:
  • __init__.py
  • container.py
  • common.py
  • device
  • css
  • plugin-import-name-kobotouch_extended.txt

To install the conversion output format plugin from source, you must rename conversion_init.py to __init__.py, create a ZIP file named KePub Output.zip and include these files and folders:
  • \_\_init\_\_.py
  • container.py
  • common.py
  • conversion
  • css
  • plugin-import-name-koboconversion.txt

To create the ZIP file:
  • Windows users can run the create-plugin.ps1 script (requires that Powershell allow running unsigned scripts, which is not the default setting).
    • This Powershell script is untested and unsupported; if it does not work for you and you know how to fix it, please submit a bug report with a patch or a corrected Powershell script.
    • This Powershell script generates the ZIP file for both plugins.
  • Linux and Mac OS X users can run the create-plugin.sh script (either grant it executable permissions first, or run sh create-plugin.sh).
    • This script generates the ZIP file for both plugins
  • Create an empty ZIP file and add the files noted above.
  • Select the files noted-above, right-click, and add the files to a new ZIP file. This may also be referred to as a "Compressed Folder" or only be available once you choose the "Archive" option, depending on your operating system.

Add the resulting ZIP file to calibre:
  • Preferences
  • Plugins
  • Load plugin from file

Usage
To use the device driver plugin after installing:
[LIST][*]Connect your Kobo Touch/Glo/Mini device and wait for it to be detected by calibre[*]Select the book(s) you want to send to your device.[*]Click the Send to device button.

To use the conversion output format plugin after installing:
  • Choose the book you want to convert to KePub format
  • Choose the KEPUB format from the list of output formats (top-right of the conversion window)
  • Choose KePub Options from the left menu and make your option selections
  • Click OK

Hyphenation
Both plugins include the ability to add a CSS file to each book enabling KePub hyphenation. The standard hyphenation dictionaries are somewhat deficient for some languages; fixing this requires a little work and requires that you can create gzipped tarballs (.tgz files). Note that you can only update existing dictionaries, you cannot add new ones.
  • Somewhere on your computer, create the directory structure usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts
  • Download the LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) hyphenation dictionary for your language
    • This will be a file with the 'oxt' extension. This is just a ZIP archive with a different name.
  • Unzip the OXT file and look for the file named as hyph_<language>.dic.
  • Copy the hyphenation dictionary to the hyphenDicts folder without changing the name.
  • . Add the usr folder to KoboRoot.tgz
    • UNIX users (Linux, Solaris, BSD, Mac) can, from the command line, run tar czf KoboRoot.tgz usr/ from wherever you put the usr directory.
    • Windows users, you're on your own. Contributions of reliable Windows directions are welcome!

Once you have created KoboRoot.tgz copy it to the .kobo directory on your Kobo device, unmount/eject the drive, and unplug the device. You will see a screen indicating that the Kobo device is updating; it is not, but this method takes advantage of the Kobo update mechanism to load the necessary dictionary files. Make sure you keep your version of KoboRoot.tgz around, you will need to re-apply it after every Kobo software update!

Provided languages are:
  • English (en_US)
  • French (fr_FR)
  • Spanish (es_ES)
  • German (de_DE)
  • Italian (it_IT)
  • Portugese (pt_PT)

Please note that even with this feature, hyphenation is not exact. You cannot add hyphenation dictionaries for new languages, you can only update the existing dictionaries.

Kobo JavaScript Extraction
Both plugins include the ability to extract the Kobo JavaScript file from a free Kobo-supplied KePub which is not encumbered by any Digital Restrictions Management (DRM). Enabling this requires a little work:
  • Obtain a KePub file from Kobo which is provided to you without any Digital Restrictions Management.
    • Some of Kobo's free eBooks are provided without DRM
    • In some regions, Kobo devices are sold with free ebooks in the .kobo/kepub/ folder which do not have DRM
  • Copy the KePub file to the calibre plugins directory
    • To find the plugins directory, open calibre's preferences, choose Miscellaneous, and click Open calibre configuration directory
    • Go to the plugins directory
  • Rename the KePub file to reference.kepub.epub

Once this file is in place and correctly named this plugin will automatically extract the Kobo JavaScript file, add it to books during conversion, and add appropriate references to content files.

Generated KePub File Copying
On occasion, such as for debugging purposes, you may wish to have easy access to the generated KePub file. There is an option which allows you to enter the full, absolute path to a directory where all generated files will be copied to once they have been converted. This directory must:
  • Be somewhere you can write to
  • Contain no variables
    • OS X and Linux users may use a tilde (~) to refer to their home directory instead of typing it in full (/home/jgoguen/calibre-debug may be entered as ~/calibre-debug). Windows users must always enter a full path.

The final path will be a combination of this path and the save template for the plugin. If your debug path is /home/jgoguen/calibre-debug and your save template is {author_sort}/{title} then a KePub file would be copied to, for example, /home/jgoguen/calibre-debug/Camerata, Jo/A History of Vanguard Industries.kepub.epub. Directories will be created as needed.

Contributing
Decided you want to contribute to the development of this plugin? Awesome! You have many options:
  • Contribute code, whether for existing bug reports, for new bugs that you found, or for new features that you really want to see implemented. To contribute code, you may fork the repository and send a GitHub pull request, or you may send me a PM here with a git patch file. A tutorial on creating a git patch can be found here
  • Submit bug reports on Launchpad. Launchpad bug reports are my to-do list for this plugin; any requests anywhere else are likely to get missed and forgotten and direct emails will be silently ignored. Although I'm happy to discuss the plugin here, I may still ask you to create a bug report; this is so I actually remember to investigate your request!
  • Test pre-released code from GitHub. Between releases, new code is committed to the GitHub repository and may be installed using directions provided in the README file. Based on your testing, you may submit bug reports, provide feedback, think of new feature requests, or just generally enjoy early access (and not necessarily stable code!) to upcoming versions of the plugin.
  • Translate the plugin on the plugin's Launchpad Translations page.

You may also prefer to contribute in some other way. You may [URL=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=UXNT7PRVZ5HGAdonate to me via PayPal[/URL], contribute to my fundraiser, or you may also contribute by answering questions from other people who may have issues, purchasing items from my wishlists (not yet linked, I'll get on that soon-ish), continuing to use this plugin and providing feedback, and probably a few other ways I haven't thought of yet.

Asking Questions
Wondering how to do something? Want to know if something is possible? Ask your question in this thread (for the device driver plugin) or the thread for the conversion output plugin, whichever is most appropriate.

Reporting a Bug
Found a bug with this plugin? Great! Please use the Launchpad issue tracker to send me reports of issues or questions. Under no circumstances should I be emailed directly unless I have asked to have something sent to me. Any emails I haven't asked for may be silently ignored at my sole discretion. Everyone can benefit from a public bug tracker, but only one person benefits from a private email.

When submitting a bug, I require the following information as a minimum, but any additional information is good to include:
  • What version of calibre and this plugin you are using. If you are not on the latest version of either, I will require that you update before I accept any bug report.
  • The full error message reported by calibre, if any.
  • For issues processing books, whether or not you have a book that you are able to send me that demonstrates the issue. Please follow the directions when submitting a new bug to provide me with a book. Under no circumstances should copyrighted content be uploaded to a public bug.
  • The calibre debug log.
    • To get the calibre debug log, click the arrow beside the Preferences menu, choose Restart in debug mode, repeat the same action that caused the issue, and close calibre. The debug log will be automatically displayed to you.

Known Issues
If you have previously installed this plugin in calibre 0.9.18 or earlier, then you upgrade to calibre 0.9.19 or later and can't update the plugin, you must manually replace the plugin ZIP file:
  • Download the latest version of the code.
  • Generate a new plugin ZIP file. Do not use the calibre-customize method.
  • Shut down calibre entirely.
  • Open the calibre plugin directory.
    • Don't know where this is? Before you close calibre, open calibre's preferences, choose Miscellaneous, and click the Open calibre configuration directory button. The plugin directory is in there.
  • Replace the file named KoboTouchExtended.zip with the new version you created. Please make sure the file name remains the same.

If you get an error similar to the following:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 310, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 361, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 169, in load
File "importlib__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 147, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 4
<!DOCTYPE html>
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
The solution is to read the README file from top to bottom

In some circumstances people have reported that while reading a book uploaded with this plugin they suddenly realize that a large amount of time (two hours or more) has passed without their awareness of the passage of time. The only known solution is to finish reading your current book. Voracious readers tend to report this issue more frequently. Please note, sleep is only a temporary resolution.

Version History
Spoiler:

Version 2.2.14 - 2013-12-20
Translations update
Version 2.2.13 - 2013-11-26
Bug #1252050 - Do not translate the plugin name.
Version 2.2.12 - 2013-11-08
Bug #1246505 - Stop adding spaces around em-dashes
Add translation support and initial translations
Version 2.2.10 - 2013-10-13
Minor improvements from KoboTouchExtended development
Version 2.2.5 - 2013-08-25
Bug #1216504: Properly handle Processing Instruction and Comment nodes
Version 2.2.3 - 2013-08-20
Initial release. Version set to remain in sync with KoboTouchExtended.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KePub Output.zip (26.3 KB, 5125 views)

Last edited by jgoguen; 12-20-2013 at 03:53 PM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
BobC
Addict
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1 (x2), Kobo Glo, Various Android Apps on JellyBean Tablet
Very comprehensive and nice to see a separate thread now for the converter, rather than mixed in with the driver.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
tempest@de
Zealot
tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo, Hanlin V3
Great work Joel
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
tempest@de
Zealot
tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!tempest@de rocks like Gibraltar!

I just used this plugin to convert a batch of 163 books, first I started with 3 books to see if all worked, and when it went smoothly I converted the remaining 160, and send it to the glo without problems, at last I can send the kepubs without to much hassle, and it only took minutes, I didn’t pay much attention to the clock but I think it was around 10 minutes, before this plugin when the conversion was on send it took much more time.

So again great work, so much, you are indeed a “generally awesome person“
Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, here's where I break your bubble The whole process has quite likely taken you at least the same amount of time, or maybe more, as with only the driver if you converted and then sent books to the device right away. If you converted a bunch and then you're sending a few at a time (like I do) then you may have saved a bit of time. The code for converting on send and converting through calibre is identical; not just copied, but literally the exact same module. It's significantly faster to send a pre-converted KePub, yes, because I coded the driver to not convert KePub books but there's no time savings at all when you convert and then send.

With all that said... there was some general improvements in the speed of converting books. So it probably was faster to convert than before, but it's not because of using the conversion plugin first
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
tempest@de
Zealot

Maybe it was my excitement about finally being able to send the kepubs to the glo, but it did feel faster, but that’s ok, even if it took more time I’d still be satisfied with it, I really missed the options off the kepubs the last few weeks that I had to read epubs.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

As long as you're reading happily, that's the important thing
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
BobC
Addict
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Something odd seemed to be happening with conversion. I have just started using some CSS to format the first paragraph of a chapter with no indent - previously I did this by manually changing the class for the first paragraph but using the selector :

Code:
h2+p {text-indent: 0;}
Works fine by changing the indent when the paragraph immediately follows a h2.

This renders correctly when viewing the EPUB but when I convert it to KEPUB the selector gets lost and doesn't appear in the KEPUBs CSS.

So I dug deeper and realised that when converted the CSS gets modified so that everything is done with classes but it wasn't honouring the selector I had set. This was actually a conflict with the "look and feel" settings that were in force from when I converted to EPUB. By getting rid of the "remove spacing between paragraphs" (and thus the applied indent) the conversion created the correct classes so that the first paragraph following a h2 did not have an indent although the remaining ones did.

I mention this in case anyone else hits a similar problem. Calibre was doing what I had asked - it's just that I hadn't realised it

I expect the same happens with "on the fly" conversions so beware that your carefully crafted css isn't being "adjusted" when you upload a KEPUB.

BobC
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Polynésia
Polynésia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hello,

I installed this plugin with version 2.2.10 of kobotouchextended.

Yet I have been true for the total number of pages of the ebook but it does not work. I try to convert most ebook and each can not have the total number of pages.

I think it does not work also with version 2.2.9

The official extension is kepub.epub kobo or kepub?

Sincerely,

Last edited by Polynésia; 09-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Polynésia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

The option isn't present in the conversion plugin, only the driver plugin. If you manually make the change, that's nothing to do with either plugin unless you're using the driver plugin and the option to use full page numbers is disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynésia View Post
Hello,

I installed this plugin with version 2.2.10 of kobotouchextended.

Yet I have been true for the total number of pages of the ebook but it does not work. I try to convert most ebook and each can not have the total number of pages.
2.2.10 isn't released yet. I saw your post on the bug, I'll reply once I have time to sit down and look at the code and verify it. Not sure when that will be, I'm quite busy with my family lately.

Quote:
I think it does not work also with version 2.2.9
2.2.9 doesn't have this option. If you have manually made the change necessary and it isn't working, that's a bug with the Kobo device itself, not the driver.

Quote:
The official extension is kepub.epub kobo or kepub?
That depends. If you use the conversion plugin the output uses the extension "kepub" because calibre only supports single extensions. "kepub.epub" is treated as "epub" by calibre. Everywhere else, the proper double extension "kepub.epub" is used. In general, if you aren't sure just leave the extension alone and use calibre to manage books to make sure the right extension is used.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
tharael89
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
great work. this plugin saved us.
just a question. is possible to set the plugin to ignore all the calibre css conversion? i mean when converted i get also the [class="calibre"] all over the code in place of the stylesheet i use. i tried to put the css in the conversion and it works. but i still get calibre everywhere and it's really a pain to do further edit to the book.
ah. probably an error on my part. but when i try to put the .kepub in the sd and load in the reader (aura hd, 2.8.1) it goes black screen and i have to reset.
after conversion do i have to manually add the .epub to have the .kepub.epub that the kobo can read or it's a problem with the conversion or the folder where i put the books?
ps: i don't use calibre for the managment and put the books directly in the directory of the sd
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
BobC
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharael89 View Post
ah. probably an error on my part. but when i try to put the .kepub in the sd and load in the reader (aura hd, 2.8.1) it goes black screen and i have to reset.
after conversion do i have to manually add the .epub to have the .kepub.epub that the kobo can read or it's a problem with the conversion or the folder where i put the books?
ps: i don't use calibre for the managment and put the books directly in the directory of the sd
Yes, you will need to change the extension manually if you are not adding to book by using Calibre. The Extended Driver for Calibre takes care of changing the file extension to kepub.epub so it can be properly recognised by the Kobo.

BobC
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
is possible to set the plugin to ignore all the calibre css conversion? i mean when converted i get also the [class="calibre"] all over the code in place of the stylesheet i use.
Maybe, but I'm not sure. This plugin extends the standard calibre conversion, process, which is where those class names come from. Even if I could, I suspect it would be more effort than it's worth.

Quote:
Since you don't use calibre for managing the books on the SD card you must manually add the .epub extension to the file copied to the SD card. DO NOT change the extension on the file in your calibre folder! If you would use calibre to manage books, the extension would be taken care of automatically.

The reason for all this is that calibre only supports single extensions. The double extension '.kepub.epub' is treated as '.epub' by calibre, so I use only '.kepub' in calibre so that it gets recognized as a distinct format.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
tharael89
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
ok. thx for the reply and thx again for the plugin.
i prefer to not use calibre because i would have to connect the reader. i find it easier to put them in the sd when i've got time.

ps: the class calibre "junk" it's been resolved.
i'm using sigil to do a find&replace. gotta use 5minutes to do but it's still better than giving more work to you guys.

thx again
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Polynésia
Polynésia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hello,

thank you for the link.

I still do not see the utility that convert front kepub since you can not read the file type kobo who also extending kepub.epub in kobo?
Polynésia is offline   Reply With Quote