Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Battery draining while on sleep mode

I have had my new nook over a week now. I got a week out of the first battery charge and it seemed to be draining at a normal rate while I was using it a lot. I charged the battery this time and put it in sleep mode and noticed that the charged dropped to 80 something % in a matter of hours without use. My nook has been on sleep mode all day and I just turned it on, and battery is at 24%. Anyone experiencing their battery draining while on sleep mode?

One observation: the first week I had the author screensaver preloaded on the nook and when I press the power button to put it to sleep and the screensaver comes on, on the bottom it says "press the n button below to wake up your nook". the same goes for the nature screensaver preloaded on the nook. However, I personalized the screensaver and added my own in a separate folder from the author/nature ones. When I use my own screensaver, the message above does not appear, could it be that with my personal screensaver it is not going to sleep? I can't remember how it is for the classic. I switched back to the authors screensaver to see what happens.

Last edited by negris123; 06-14-2011 at 12:15 AM.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I remember reading on the nook boards last year about the old N1Es battery dying overnight. It seemed that the nook would go to sleep and then re-awaken for some reason...over and over. It may be something totally different and since you don't have the battery removal method to help you if it completely dies, I'd advised swapping for a new nook at your local store.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I have had my new nook over a week now. I got a week out of the first battery charge and it seemed to be draining at a normal rate while I was using it a lot. I charged the battery this time and put it in sleep mode and noticed that the charged dropped to 80 something % in a matter of hours without use. My nook has been on sleep mode all day and I just turned it on, and battery is at 24%. Anyone experiencing their battery draining while on sleep mode?

One observation: the first week I had the author screensaver preloaded on the nook and when I press the power button to put it to sleep and the screensaver comes on, on the bottom it says "press the n button below to wake up your nook". the same goes for the nature screensaver preloaded on the nook. However, I personalized the screensaver and added my own in a separate folder from the author/nature ones. When I use my own screensaver, the message above does not appear, could it be that with my personal screensaver it is not going to sleep? I can't remember how it is for the classic. I switched back to the authors screensaver to see what happens.
I havent seen this one, probably a bug, hopefully will be ironed out in an update. im reading an average of 2 hours a day, and looks like i will get close to two weeks battery life, so a good improvement on the original, though nowhere near a month.

the predefined screensavers have the text on the bottom as part of the image itself, would be nice if that was added to the user images for consistency.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Did you have Wi-Fi on? Sometimes if there is an internet failure overnight or intermittent Wi-Fi it can drain the battery fast because it's continuously searching for a good connection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Did you have Wi-Fi on? Sometimes if there is an internet failure overnight or intermittent Wi-Fi it can drain the battery fast because it's continuously searching for a good connection.
I had WiFi on when this happened. I charged the battery completely and turned WiFi off. It seems to be acting normal, it's been a couple of days and the battery is at 94%. Seems the WiFi was still on even though it was on sleep mode.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This happened to me, though at the time I was puzzled at the rapid battery drain. It was to the point where it was locked on the screen saver. Took five minutes of charging to get the message that battery too low to power on.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
This happened to me, though at the time I was puzzled at the rapid battery drain. It was to the point where it was locked on the screen saver. Took five minutes of charging to get the message that battery too low to power on.

Me too.

My 1st charge lasted for ~10 days, less than 200 pg turns + initial config & feature exploration. Most reading was done out of wifi range.
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
Me too.

My 1st charge lasted for ~10 days, less than 200 pg turns + initial config & feature exploration. Most reading was done out of wifi range.
Somebody reported a similar problem, and it was related to WiFi apparently. Try putting the device in airplane mode when you don't need the WiFi and see if that helps.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
I've had exactly the same experience. When I first got it, I was getting battery life very much in line with what was rated (30 hours total run time).

I charged to 100% this past Saturday, and this morning (Tuesday, so 3 days) after perhaps 5 hours of use, I'm at 36% battery remaining. WiFi has been off at all times during this (I never, ever turn the WiFi on, everything is side-loaded)

I also put in custom screensaver images (though I add text to the bottom of my screensaver images that says "This Nook belongs to xxxx xxxxx, phone xxx-xxx-xxxx"
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
zebrella
zebrella began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 602, PB IQ 701, Nook
Got the Nook Touch on Saturday. Charged it a couple of hours (100%) and used it since then everyday for 2-3 hours a day (3 days). Wifi was on, until now. Battery is 97% remaining.
zebrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I am having the same thing happen. The first time I charged it, thr battery went down slowly, as advertised, and lasted about 2.5 weeks. I then charged it fully. It went down to 68% in one night! Wifi is off. So, is there any answer to this problem? A bad device? A firmware bug? I don't know if I should return it or not.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I am having the same thing happen. The first time I charged it, thr battery went down slowly, as advertised, and lasted about 2.5 weeks. I then charged it fully. It went down to 68% in one night! Wifi is off. So, is there any answer to this problem? A bad device? A firmware bug? I don't know if I should return it or not.
If the first charge lasted 2.5 weeks, then I would say it is most likely a bug. I would suggest you reboot the device and check again to see how it holds the charge. I had my device drain a fair chunk of the battery over one night, and other people have reported similar issues. I saw it only that one time though.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good news to hear - that it only did it once on yours, and that a reboot fixed it. I will try that!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
RAH
Guru

I rebooted the Nook Touch, as recommended.

The Nook was at 43%, having gone from 100% to 68% to 43% in 2 successive nights of non-use (yikes!) and no wifi.

After rebooting, I read for awhile in the evening and when I put it away to sleep it was still at 43%, a good sign. Woke it this morning after a whole night of sleep (me and it) - still at 43%!! Yes!

So, it appears that rebooting it does solve this problem. One wonders if the battery really is draining during these episodes, or if the Nook just THINKS it is. Also, I sure hope I don't have to do this after every time I recahrge it. We shall see...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Somebody reported a similar problem, and it was related to WiFi apparently. Try putting the device in airplane mode when you don't need the WiFi and see if that helps.
Newbie question here. What is "airplane mode". I think I remember seeing something about that when I read the user guide, but now I can't find it. Is it different than just turning wi-fi off?

Thanks.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote