Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #16
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli View Post
So for example can you get books from http://bookserver.archive.org/catalog/ or must they be in html?
Just tried it out, no xml. This is an interesting site though.

Even if you were able to see the feeds, there doesn't seem to be any option for saving your files directly from the browser to your ebook reader's memory.

I think not having that save function is pretty important. The web is a pretty dangerous place. Could you imagine how much a a drain on battery having an antivirus running all the time on an ebook reader would be?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
uli
uli has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.uli has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.uli has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
I think not having that save function is pretty important. The web is a pretty dangerous place. Could you imagine how much a a drain on battery having an antivirus running all the time on an ebook reader would be?
You should just get an error for "application/octet-stream" data just like on any mobile device. Only allow downloads for safe readable content like epub, mobi, txt.

Guess I have to wait a few years for a real add "opds/feed book source" option. Then I can browse, search and download my books just like from the store. Perhaps a firmware mod is in the works like Trook.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
OMG! STOP! i can hardly stand it! i wanted a kindle, but now, its difficult to decide!!...
Aaaah, you know you want a Kobo Sheri, come join us on the dark side . Oh wait, your other option was the Kindle -- I should have said come join us on the light side Sheri .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgfire View Post
I'm sure, like me, he didn't buy it to browse the internet. Hes just pointing out that it has a web browser.
But he's complaining it's not a good browser because the screen isn't RGB. Well, he bought it knowing that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I'm hoping there will still be a borders left by the time I can get to see a new Kobo.

By the way, does the new Kobo have an SD card slot and if so, what type?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
EldRick
Addict
EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (Sony PRS-950, Nook STR, Kobo Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Read their bloody web site.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #22
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Eldrick; do we have to show anger like that? What is SO hard about actually helping someone. And actually ALL the web site says is "Up to 30,000 eBooks with a 32 GB SD Memory Card".

it's not till you actually go and read the USER GUIDE that is says "Adding books using a Micro SD card"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping there will still be a borders left by the time I can get to see a new Kobo.

micro up to 32gb
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, Lenovo A2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Aaaah, you know you want a Kobo Sheri, come join us on the dark side . Oh wait, your other option was the Kindle -- I should have said come join us on the light side Sheri .
The kindle does seem kinda prehistoric, yet it has so many great features. The kobo has touch, wifi AND is aesthetically pleasing! Not to mention, well priced. How is kobo's book selection? Book selection & price is an important factor
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

I just noticed that the Nook Touch web browser doesn't seem to be able to have the image of the webpage move as you drag it, at least in the videos. This is a pretty big deal when it comes to usability I think since it's a lot harder to navigate if you constantly have to keep guessing how far you scrolled around.

Can anyone who's played with the nook Touch confirm?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
I just noticed that the Nook Touch web browser doesn't seem to be able to have the image of the webpage move as you drag it, at least in the videos. This is a pretty big deal when it comes to usability I think since it's a lot harder to navigate if you constantly have to keep guessing how far you scrolled around.

Can anyone who's played with the nook Touch confirm?
you might want to ask this question in the nook forum.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #27
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I have found three minor problems with the Kobo Touch web browser:

1- With no Enter/Submit button on the virtual keyboard, you cannot use many website's forms or searches

2- If I browse to a website with .epub files (or other documents) I can't download them to read them with the regular reader software

3- Certain websites are nearly unreadable, because the background is nearly as dark as the text. If there was a way to toggle black-on-white mode this would improve readability of MANY websites
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
you might want to ask this question in the nook forum.
Done.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
How is kobo's book selection? Book selection & price is an important factor
Book selection for me hasn't been a big problem; anything I haven't been able to find on kobobooks, I'll usually find elsewhere, de-drm it and convert. Now that the touch supports Mobi as well, it's one less thing I need to worry about converting. Price wise, I believe it's really hard to beat Amazon there, however Kobo does do a pretty good job in having decent and regular discount codes. Again though, if you find a better price elsewhere, you may still be able to use the ebook on a Kobo, with the right tools if needed.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Book selection for me hasn't been a big problem; anything I haven't been able to find on kobobooks, I'll usually find elsewhere, de-drm it and convert. Now that the touch supports Mobi as well, it's one less thing I need to worry about converting. Price wise, I believe it's really hard to beat Amazon there, however Kobo does do a pretty good job in having decent and regular discount codes. Again though, if you find a better price elsewhere, you may still be able to use the ebook on a Kobo, with the right tools if needed.
also i'm pretty sure a purchased mobi from amazon may not work but a mobi free of drm from the likes of smashwords though should work fine. don't quote me on that though i have not tried.

as for epubs they're available anywhere you pretty much want to buy ebooks other than amazon.

i buy from baen/kobobooks/smashwords
whatever i have looked for i have found so i see no problems.

kobobooks usually has anything new to ebook right away (bestsellers etc) older works you might not find as easily.