Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you have to hide your reading?
Set 1: My parents felt I read too much 53 40.15%
Set 1: My parents had to nag me to read 4 3.03%
Set 1: My parents didn't have an opinion about my reading 50 37.88%
Set 2: I hid under the covers with a flashlight 70 53.03%
Set 2: No way, I didn't read in bed! 8 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW/iPad2/5S/Tab3 Past:NewtonOMP>N120> Palm3>3c> iPAQ3850>Droid>K3>DX
[Poll] As a child... were you?

For no particular reason, this post got me to thinking about reading under the covers a child: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=57

I used to hide under the covers with the flashlight and read well past my bedtime, hoping not to get caught from light leaking around the edges. I was often in trouble with my parents who said that I needed to escape the fantasy world of books and live in the real world more.

So... it made me wonder... how about posters here? Did you have to sneak reading time? Did you read a lot? Did your parents feel that you read too much, not enough, or no opinion?

Edit: My 's' key seemed to have been stubborn when making the poll. Ooops. :-)

Last edited by twowheels; 11-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7; Superpad 10in tablet
what about an option for parents who ENCOURAGED reading? My mother read to me every day after school and then when I discovered the library, my dad made sure to take us there on the weekends...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
I was slow learning to read; my Mother threatened me with stopping my subscription to the Eagle comic which either she or my sisters used to read to me.

Suffice it to say, I was reading within weeks of that.

Then the problem came one of how to stop me reading. Eventually a TV appeared in the house in a vain attempt to slow down my reading. Of course, we were only allowed to watch BBC1 and BBC2; none of that commercial ITV nonsense for our house!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I chose that they 'felt I read too much' as more than one time my mom would have to say "put down the book, turn out the light, and go to sleep."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Cosimo
Enthusiast
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
what about an option for parents who ENCOURAGED reading? My mother read to me every day after school and then when I discovered the library, my dad made sure to take us there on the weekends...
This!

My mother read to me, my grandmothers, too. I remember Granny taking me to the library to get my first library card.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
I was never nagged to read, just having books around was encouragement enough. I had some Nancy Drew books, and then started on my brother's near complete collection of the Hardy Boys. I just enjoyed reading without the nagging. And yes, there were nights where I'd sneak a flashlight under the covers too when I didn't want to quit for the night. If only I had a front-lit reader back then, I'm sure I'd have done it every night!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Nexus 4, HP Touchpad, Nexus 7.
Quote:
Same here. Reading was huge for us. We all went to the library every weekend. Book tokens were regular gifts, and the trip to the bookshop to spend them was always special.

I didn't vote in Set 1 as there needs to be the option for those of us whose parents made reading part of the fabric of our childhoods.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
kristalana
Zealot
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Ha I was about to say! I read a ton as a child and my parents loved it. Really no option for me in the poll as it stands.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
ccadi
Enthusiast
ccadi began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505, Ipad, kindle, pw
Thought the poll choices were rather negative

Last edited by ccadi; 11-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.
ccadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Can't pick my choice since it is not available. I can not remember a time I did not read. My parents encouraged me to read and took me to the library anytime I wanted to go.
If you are going to have a poll you should have choices for both sides of the argument.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
4691mls
Fanatic
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
me too - my parents always encouraged us to read and we went to the library regularly
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
I was encouraged to read, too, though I didn't need any encouragement. I did have one teacher that wrote on my report that I should read less and spend more time presenting my work neatly. My parents sorted him out.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
My Mom says that she read to us, but I honestly have no memory of her doing so. I was the eldest of three, so you'd think I'd at least remember her reading to the other kids or had some favorite childhood books in my room as I grew up, but I didn't. Since she once bragged that she hadn't read a book in 20 years, I have my doubts. Most of my life we had three books in the house. The Bible. The dictionary and a medical book.

My parents always told me I read too much. All growing up I had to fight for every book I could get a hold of. I used to leave school at lunch and spend my lunch money at the local grocery store and sneak home a book to read at least once a week. I guess in one way I was lucky they had no interest, because they never check to see if what I was reading was appropriate for my age. Some of it wasn't . : )

My parents didn't see the point or use in it, but since they also didn't let us have friends over very often, didn't like us going to friend's houses, or otherwise make any noise in the house, there wasn't much else to do. And my wanting to be a librarian when I grew up was pretty quickly smothered.

My grandparents thought I read too much as well. (Young ladies should never sit and do nothing. That's what sewing and other such needle work were for. Keeps your hands busy and out of trouble. Have to always be productive.) None of my Aunts or Uncles read. None of my cousins. Neither of my sisters.

So I have books everywhere. I get twitchy if I don't have one on me, either paper or ebook. Dear Hubby can't read for pleasure as he has a learning disability that slows him down. But he LOVES audio books. My two kids, in their twenties, read. It's a race to see who gets to the end of the newest Dresden Files book when they come out. : ) They were read to all the time, and got to stay up an hour past bed time if they were reading.

I've been lucky in that it took with my kids. I just hope that my (future) grand kids read too. But you never can tell. Some people just don't take to it, no matter how much you'd like them too.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
My parents are bibliophiles who encouraged me to read.
There was that bedtime thing, but a sleeping bag will prevent the flashlight from showing.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
Hmmm. There really isn't an accurate answer for me.

My parents encouraged me to read, but did not want me to read science fiction. They tried forbidding it, making me read other genres in between science fiction titles, giving mer lists of acceptable titles, etc.

It never really worked.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote