Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM   #1
crossi
Evangelist
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Will more publishers drop DRM?

There has been a few publishers that started with DRM and then dropped it later for at least some of their imprints. I've noticed a few books I've bought lately on Amazon with a statement that "this book sold without DRM by request of the publisher". Any studies about how that is working out? Noticeable change in it's piracy rate? Any rumors about other publishers/imprints trying it?

I really want the majority of publishers to go DRM free. If that happens there might be more non-store affliliated readers sold and more chance of finding one with the features I want. Little competition means few options available.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM   #2
mbmr
mbmr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
DRM is stupid, doesnt stop pirates, and annoys paying customers.

There are pirate sites out there selling millions of ebooks at either $0.01 or 1/20th the amazon price (for bitcoins), obviously enough DRM doesnt stop them

You can even request any book and they would most likely fulfill your request, now that service...

Last edited by mbmr; Yesterday at 05:24 AM.
mbmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Any studies about how that is working out? Noticeable change in it's piracy rate? Any rumors about other publishers/imprints trying it?
Tor haven't said much, but they did say that they had seen no difference in piracy rates on going DRM-free.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #4
faithbw
Evangelist
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmr View Post
DRM is stupid, doesnt stop pirates, and annoys paying customers.

There are pirate sites out there selling millions of ebooks at either $0.01 or 1/20th the amazon price (for bitcoins), obviously enough DRM doesnt stop them

You can even request any book and they would most likely fulfill your request, now that service...
Seriously? Wow. That's amazing. Hmm, I think if you went through the trouble of finding pirated material, you would try to get it for free (unless people don't know these are pirated materials?).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Tor haven't said much, but they did say that they had seen no difference in piracy rates on going DRM-free.
Is the piracy rate really measurable?

I suppose you could try to google your titles to see what percentage of them are being pirated. But that's not what I'd call the piracy rate.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #6
jayajha
InstaScribe Creator
jayajha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

I suppose you could try to google your titles to see what percentage of them are being pirated. But that's not what I'd call the piracy rate.
I think what they really measure is the effect on their sales/sales growth after going DRM-free. If there isn't a significant dip around that time, "piracy rates" have not gone higher.
jayajha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:35 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tor UK said "no discernible increase in piracy"

John Sargent, head of Macmillan, said "initial results suggest there was no increase in piracy"

It's been two years now since Tor first announced that they were going DRM-free. I'm a little disappointed that more publishers/imprints haven't joined them yet.
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I long for the day we don't need alf anymore.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:

I know with Game of Thrones TV show IIRC it was reported in the Australian media how many people downloaded it. I think they used according to the article one of the torrent snooping sites for stats.

Personally I'd like to think we'll move more towards DRM-Free, but practically for some reason I think things will get worse. Recently we bought to second installment of the Hobbit on bluray, and despite being in Australia we were forced to sit through two American government warnings on piracy which we couldn't skip. I just get the feeling DRM with ebooks will become more intrusive. Sad but it hurts the honest person more.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse

I'm still hopeful that the big publishers will realise that they're spending money on DRM for no return.