Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
is there a guide for how to use an ereader in linux?

Using an ereader seems really complicated in Linux. Some insturctions say download the dekstop for the reader. Then there's using WINE. Is there a guide or a link someone could give me so I could come up with an effective way of doing it? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You only need Wine for ADE. For a Kindle, all you need is a USB connection, if you want to transfer books that way. Otherwise, all you need is wifi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
rcentros
Guru
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST & NST w/Glow, Kindle 4(Black) & Touch 3G, Sony T2 & Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Using an ereader seems really complicated in Linux.
We'll probably need a little more detail (which device, which version of Linux, etc). For non-DRM ePubs or non-DRM mobis, all you do is connect your eReader to the computer running Linux and drag and drop. If you're talking about downloading your books from the eReader to the Linux computer, then you'll probably need Calibre (there's a Linux native version) and Alf's Tools. As the previous poster mentioned, you'll only need Wine for ADE -- and I've used ADE on my Linux computer just a couple times. When I borrow library books, I either borrow them directly to my Sony T2 (via WiFi) which has ADE built-in, or I use Kindle format, which are downloaded directly to my Kindle eReaders from Amazon. (At least that's the way they do via Overdrive.) And, as mentioned already, when I download non-DRM eBooks (either mobi or ePub) I just sideload them to my Kindles or Nooks (or Kobo or Sony) via the USB port. Actually, with the Sony, I just download books directly from Feedbooks, etc.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
The only complication I can think of, Gregg, would be if you had an ePub device which required ADE to purchase books with DRM. That would involve installing ADE under Wine.

Anything else, just connect the device via USB and copy the files to the reader (or let Calibre do it for you).
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10
I would also recommend calibre as the goto version to manage / sideload any reading device you have. Even in the case of managing a DRMed library (if you only have one each of Kindle and epub reader) calibre is easy to use and works exactly the same on each computer (not just linux) and each different reading device. It is even possible to have a mixed library of DRMfree books, Kindle DRM, epub DRM in one place to search manage and organize all your books. Features like editing books or converting books to a different format will only work on DRMfree books, obviously.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
My advice is to use Windows. It's so much easier then Linux when it comes to eBooks and DRM removal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My advice is to use Windows. It's so much easier then Linux when it comes to eBooks and DRM removal.
That is only good when you already have a Windows machine. Just to get a Windows pc to manage your ebooks more easily is expensive overkill, imo.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is only good when you already have a Windows machine. Just to get a Windows pc to manage your ebooks more easily is expensive overkill, imo.
It's pretty hard to buy a PC that doesn't come with a Windows licence, unless you build it yourself from components.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's pretty hard to buy a PC that doesn't come with a Windows licence, unless you build it yourself from components.
Did so. my laptop comes with no windows licence. So did my old desktop (from dell).

I use mantato on android. Used windows to get the de-drm long ago. Then, Linux can run python.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Get the Firefox plugin for non DRM infested EPUBS

MR has a forum for it http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Many Linux distros come with Firefox so no need to mess round with Wine
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
True, that's why I said if you don't already have one. There is small computer stores that will custom build a computer for you, and some will forego the windows licence in exchange of a store supported linux instead. Rare circumstance? Yes. If you only have one computer at home with dual boot linux / windows and you work most of the time in linux, a way to manage the ereader in linux may be desired.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You only need Wine for ADE. For a Kindle, all you need is a USB connection, if you want to transfer books that way. Otherwise, all you need is wifi.
Thanks Susan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
We'll probably need a little more detail (which device, which version of Linux, etc).
Xubuntu 14.04LTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

For non-DRM ePubs or non-DRM mobis, all you do is connect your eReader to the computer running Linux and drag and drop.
Is that just as simple as having the file on the Desktop and dragging it over the eReader icon and dropping it? The file will get stored in the right place in the eReader?

And really tried to get Alf's tools to work. No luck. Very confusing. I see there's new ones out I'll give them a try.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
The only complication I can think of, Gregg, would be if you had an ePub device which required ADE to purchase books with DRM. That would involve installing ADE under Wine.

Anything else, just connect the device via USB and copy the files to the reader (or let Calibre do it for you).
Thanks Harry. And so that's just if it's for ADE-DRMed books, right? There's all kinds of DRMs out there,aren't there?

Quote:
I would also recommend calibre as the goto version to manage / sideload any reading device you have. Even in the case of managing a DRMed library (if you only have one each of Kindle and epub reader) calibre is easy to use and works exactly the same on each computer (not just linux) and each different reading device. It is even possible to have a mixed library of DRMfree books, Kindle DRM, epub DRM in one place to search manage and organize all your books. Features like editing books or converting books to a different format will only work on DRMfree books, obviously.
Thanks Tigger. DRM is such a hassle. Sounds to me like IF I can get Alf's new tools to work that's the ideal situation. Just plop everything into Calibre and let it remove the DRM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thinking about it. Just not up for the endless downloads etc. (Have really come to love Linux.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Get the Firefox plugin for non DRM infested EPUBS

MR has a forum for it http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Many Linux distros come with Firefox so no need to mess round with Wine
Thanks ducks. Have the Firefox plugin but rarely use the reader to read anything. It seems a little funky finding stuff from say The Guttenberg Project. But if the EPUBS are non DRM infested why would I need the plugin or WINE stuff?

Quote:
True, that's why I said if you don't already have one. There is small computer stores that will custom build a computer for you, and some will forego the windows licence in exchange of a store supported linux instead. Rare circumstance? Yes. If you only have one computer at home with dual boot linux / windows and you work most of the time in linux, a way to manage the ereader in linux may be desired.
Yep. Have come to use Linux exclusively. There are a lot of deals around with refurbished computers with Windows 7 on them for under $150. I'm thinking about getting one and dual booting, but then like you say, if I'm using the Linux partition all the time am I really going to want to boot the Windows, endure the updates, just to deal with the ebook issue.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
The question is, can you still get ADE 1.72? Without it, Linux is a boat anchor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You have to make sure, when you drag and drop via USB, that you put the books into the documents directory, not the root directory, of the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Instead of Wine, you could also use vmware and run a complete windows on it for the only purpse of downloading and de-drm ing anything. Only need ADE, calibre, apprentice alf plugin installed. Turn off updates in Windows (no need to keep your virtual machine up to date). Once the books are dedrmed, just copy them to linux and import them to the linux calibre. Save the state of the virtual machine just after everything works and before it breaks - this way if Windows self-destructs, you can always go back to the state it was in that worked. You may even be able to share the same library in vmwin-calibre and linux-calibre, but I would recommend against it for security. Only use a shared folder between vmware and linux for transfer of dedrmed books. For Kindle books either use linux calibre, or make your virtual machine work whichever you prefer.

howto for vmware player: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18768...vmware-player/ this should be close enough to adapt to the xubuntu flavor (the xubuntu vmware player does exist)