Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
bcswan
Edge User
 
New Pocket Edge

Hi everyone! I just got a new pocket edge for 91.99 from Amazon.com! Wow! I'm looking to buy a bigger Entourage Edge maybe someday soon. (I see that the prices are dropping more and more every day because apparently the edge is discontinued). Anyways, I just want to list a few cool things I've already done with the edge.


1) Read some math journal PDFs downloaded from the journals web sight
2) Searched the references, and had those PDFs within 10 seconds flat running the search technique.
3) Opened up the journal while listening to audio-books to take notes while I'm listening.
4) Got 1/2 e-mails set up. (I had a problem with school provider and I'm going to contact IT soon)
5) Upgraded to Ermine (I don't really see a difference except app compatibility
6) Used the Journal shape maker tool along with the graph paper to draw perfect circles(which is very useful in my feild of Graph Theory)


I'm going to be in school for the next 4 years, and I think the edge is going to be pretty awesome. I'm also telling all my colleagues about this because I think they would all like it to.

That leads me to my last point. I had to search for a while to find the Pocket Edge (I was searching for note-taking mobile devices and had to go through many $1000+ slates). The only device I found that looked nearly as cool is the EEE note from Asus, which hasn't been released int he United States. Anyways, my point is, if I've never heard about it until a week ago, and no one I know knew about it, how would they know that they love it? I think Entourage could do better if they got some money for advertising.

Anyways that's all.
-Brandon
 
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Michealj
Edge User
 
Hello Brandon, I would keep an eye out for the EE, you will find it fits the classroom much better, especially the journal and note taking.

Regards,

Micheal
 
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Gunnerp245
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcswan View Post
Hi everyone! I just got a new pocket edge for 91.99 from Amazon.com! -Brandon
91.99? Really? Link?
 
Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
bcswan
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
91.99? Really? Link?
It was used. There was only 1 at that price. I thought it might have been broken, but it was fine.
 
Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
paula-t
Edge User
 
On seeing that, apparently, a considerable amount of defective units were sold by Woot, making us think that an unthorough Q.C. was made on the remaining stock for this big sale (if at all), perhaps it is better to look for a used unit in good condition than for this remaining stock of "new" units... I was just wondering... In any case, bcswan, congratulations on your bargain, and I hope it will deliver!
 
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcswan View Post
It was used. There was only 1 at that price. I thought it might have been broken, but it was fine.
Okay, Thanks.
 
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
ajc263
Edge User
 
Possibly defective unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
On seeing that, apparently, a considerable amount of defective units were sold by Woot, making us think that an unthorough Q.C. was made on the remaining stock for this big sale (if at all), perhaps it is better to look for a used unit in good condition than for this remaining stock of "new" units... I was just wondering... In any case, bcswan, congratulations on your bargain, and I hope it will deliver!
Greetings,
I also received my PE from Woot! a few days ago and just opened it up yesterday. I have reviewed the forums just a bit, but haven't searched yet searched for defects/issues, but since you mentioned it above I was wondering what the correct performance of the ereader side is for writing with the stylus? I find that there are two 1/2 inch to inch-wide strips of area across writing area (going left to right) where the stylus will not write. A written line will stop at a given point and then pick up after some distance. (example: "------- ------- -------" although the written line is in an up-down direction and not left to right). i have tried using the stylus at varying angles and with varying pressure, but the screen will not recognize the stylus in those areas. This reduces the writing area available considerably.
If there is an existing thread addressing this already then please direct me to it. I apoligize if I have easily overlooked it, but I am concerned that I have just purchased a defective unit and will need to contact Woot! soon in order to return or replace it.
Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
Cheers,
AJ
 
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
bcswan
Edge User
 
I had some trouble with the stylus too at first. Not the --- but the stylus would write away from my stylus... I recalibrated it many times (3 I think...) and every time I recalibrated it it got better.

Settings ===> display =====> recalibrate (you can recalibrate either side btw)
 
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
ajc263
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcswan View Post
I had some trouble with the stylus too at first. Not the --- but the stylus would write away from my stylus... I recalibrated it many times (3 I think...) and every time I recalibrated it it got better.

Settings ===> display =====> recalibrate (you can recalibrate either side btw)
Thanks bcswan, I tried recalibrating a few times and the handwriting looks a lot less like a 10-year-old's now, but the screen still seems to be unresponsive in spots. The header through the first line (in lined journal/note paper mode) and from halfway through the 9th line to the 12th don't respond to the stylus. This is true for even the pop-up menus. i tried using the space maker tool option and was able to move scribbles into the unwritable area, but then I was unable to reselect the pencil or spot eraser from the tool menu since they fell into that same unresponsive area of the screen. I had to use the pencil icon at the top to get the pencil tool back. Any other suggestions?
 
Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Filark
Edge User
 
Somebody else had that problem. Let me see if I can find the thread . . .

I didn't find what I was looking for. Some possibly helpful suggestions I did find (other than recalibrating):

E-ink might take a while to "break in."

Make sure you have the shape maker tool turned off.

Are you using a screen protector? If so, slim chance that is causing the problem.

That's all I've got. If you are still having this problem, you might want to start a new thread with the problem in the title.

Best luck to you!!

Last edited by Filark; 05-17-2011 at 08:13 PM.
 
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
ajc263
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Somebody else had that problem. Let me see if I can find the thread . . .

I didn't find what I was looking for. Some possibly helpful suggestions I did find (other than recalibrating):

E-ink might take a while to "break in."

Make sure you have the shape maker tool turned off.

Are you using a screen protector? If so, slim chance that is causing the problem.

That's all I've got. If you are still having this problem, you might want to start a new thread with the problem in the title.

Best luck to you!!
Thanks Filark. I did a quick search and didn't find anything similar to my problem in the forums. I decided to put in at Tech support ticket last night so maybe I'll get an answer.
 
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
ajc263
Edge User
 
Resolution on e-reader screen unresponsiveness issue

I thought I would follow up with the resolution of the situation for any who might also need help or tried to assist me (thank you!) or might have followed the thread. I contacted tech support at enTourage and here is what they suggested:

"Thank you for contacting enTourage System Customer Support.

I understand that you are having issue on the Reader screen of the new eDGe. Please try the following steps:

1. Push the Reset button with a paper clip until the device powers off.
2. Wait 30 seconds then power the eDGe back on.
3. When it is ready, open Settings.
4. Choose Edge Settings.
5. Select Default Device Preferences.
6. Tap on Update Now.
7. When Update is completely downloaded, drag the Notification Bar down and run the Update.
8. After successfully updating the eDGe, re- calibrate the Reader screen.
9. Check if the Reader screen is working fine.

If you are still getting the same issue, please contact Woot for a replacement unit. If there is anything else we can help you with, please call our Technical Support Hotline at 1-866-639-0080 (available daily from 9AM to 9 PM EST). Please visit our website at www.entourageedge.com to access our online Support Center for answers to our most frequently asked questions, or browse our large selection of e-books, e-textbooks, music and apps.

Thank you for choosing Entourage Systems and have a nice day."



I tried doing this and it did not work and so I contacted Woot. They gave me the option of a refund or replacement. Although I think I may not be the intended audience for the PE, I really want to love this little unit and so I'm going to go with the replacement. From what I've gleaned from the forums it sounds like there is so much I can do with the PE that I would regret sending it back for good.
Thanks again to all who chimed in with suggestions for my issue.
 
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Filark
Edge User
 
AJ, how are you not "the intended audience for the PE"? Just curious!

Of course, there have been many discussions on this forum as to what the "intended audience" should be, or should have been, and many people think enTourage got it wrong. What do you think?
 
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
ajc263
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
AJ, how are you not "the intended audience for the PE"? Just curious!

Of course, there have been many discussions on this forum as to what the "intended audience" should be, or should have been, and many people think enTourage got it wrong. What do you think?
Well, I'm not an academic or a student and I realized I'm possibly more entertainment media oriented than I had thought. I think i may have misunderstood what some of the performance of the PE would be. I was hoping for a conveniently portable little machine that I could use for both Skype and Netflix, plus any other general websurfing/shopping/research and document reading I might want. After reading what some posters have said it sounds like the first two apps I wanted to utilize are not compatible (at least not without rooting the machine or changing the OS, which I'm not sure I can or want to do). The PE seems like a capable machine, but possilby a netbook or regular laptop might have served my needs better. I know there are a lot of fans for the eDGe and it's little brother, and I'm willing to listen and learn (the wifey wants me to return the PE and get a laptop intstead and I'm trying to hold out).

On a side note, I'm so glad the forums are still here. After seeing the home page about the app store being gone I was concerned. I didn't see the usual links to get back here. Honestly, without the forums to access all the knowledge here I would have contacted Woot again to tell them I'd changed my mind and wanted a refund instead of a replacement unit.
 
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
alex_edge
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc263 View Post
Well, I'm not an academic or a student and I realized I'm possibly more entertainment media oriented than I had thought. I think i may have misunderstood what some of the performance of the PE would be. I was hoping for a conveniently portable little machine that I could use for both Skype and Netflix, plus any other general websurfing/shopping/research and document reading I might want.
Honestly, it doesn't sound like the PE is going to satisfy your wishes. I'm sure the $150 price-point was probably hard to resist, but ultimately it won't be $150 well-spent if you're not getting what you want from it.
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eDGe Firmware Updates für enTourage eDGe und Pocket eDGe beachwanderer Andere Lesegeräte 3 07-25-2011 04:31 AM
enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 1 borisb enTourage Archive 23 12-31-2010 08:51 AM
question for owners of both the pocket edge AND the big Edge fgruber enTourage Archive 7 12-30-2010 03:07 PM
enTourage eDGE/Pocket eDGe battery care best practices kveroneau enTourage Archive 9 12-22-2010 09:00 AM
Library compatibility between Pocket Edge and BackPack Edge sordie enTourage Archive 11 11-11-2010 10:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.