Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
stjoe
Edge User
 
Accessing external SD card through USB

I have PE with external 4G micro SD card.

The thing is every time I need to copy files to this SD card from my PC, I need to take out the SD card and use SD reader so that it can be seen from my PC.

If I use USB cable to connect PE to my PC, I can see Removable Drive which is this SD card in PE but cannot access it, so unable to copy files directly. What I can see and access is eDGe directory (I guess this is internal storage).

Is that normal? or I need to set something to access SD card from USB cable?
 
Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoe View Post
I have PE with external 4G micro SD card.

The thing is every time I need to copy files to this SD card from my PC, I need to take out the SD card and use SD reader so that it can be seen from my PC.

If I use USB cable to connect PE to my PC, I can see Removable Drive which is this SD card in PE but cannot access it, so unable to copy files directly. What I can see and access is eDGe directory (I guess this is internal storage).

Is that normal? or I need to set something to access SD card from USB cable?
When your eDGe is connected with your PC: slide down the notificationbar. Tap "USB connected". You'll see the screen with the green Android. Tap "Turn on USB storage" at the bottom of the screen. Now you should be able to access your eDGe including the SD-card. Be sure to disconnect the eDGe (on your pc) and "turn off USB-storage" (on your eDGe) when you're done.

However, I hardly ever use this method: I always have a USB-stick in my pocket, so I can quickly copy a file wherever I am from a device (if allowed, of course) and move it to my eDGe.
BTW, I have the EE with library on SD-card.

Hope this helps you.
 
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
stjoe
Edge User
 
Have done that and the green Android turned to yellow but still could not access the external SD storage .. hmmm perhaps a bug in Ermine?
 
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Kensal
Edge User
 
I have the same issue. I just bought a 16g sd card and wanted to see what was actually stored on the 1g sd card that i initially put in the device, but could only see the 3(4?)g internal sd card when hooking up to my pc. I've been using Android phones for several years, and haven't had this problem with 2.2 on my HTC G2 phone.

Ken
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
swedge
Edge User
 
I just purchased a 7" Pocket Edge and I can't find information on the largest GB SD card it will take. And would a SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC work in it? Thanks for any feedback. sw
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
emusan
Edge User
 
the problem could be due to the format of the SD card, I'm not sure which types Android supports, but that would be my first guess for the problem so check on that if you haven't already.
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Michealj
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedge View Post
I just purchased a 7" Pocket Edge and I can't find information on the largest GB SD card it will take. And would a SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC work in it? Thanks for any feedback. sw
Welcome Swedge, yes the 32GB should work, in fact I believe 64GB will work with the Edges.

Regards,

Micheal
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User
 
In regards to accessing the extsdcard from the PC connection, it cannot be done on the Android system. Android is set up to let a USB connection to PC mount the SDcard only, which in our case turns out to be the main storage. If you need to add files to your SD card you can a) copy to the main SD card and move after you dismount or b) send to your PE by means of something like Dropbox, Awesome Drop, SugarSync etc.
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
swedge
Edge User
 
64 GB? Really?!

Michael, do you know where I could confirm that the 7" Pocket Edge would take a 65GB Sandisk MicroSD Card? 64GB is pricey and I'd like to be sure it would work before I spent that much! Thanks very much for your confirmation that the 32GB would work, though....sw
 
Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
sjarrel
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
.......in fact I believe 64GB will work with the Edges
Max 32 Gb
In 'the old days' borisb told us that the Edges are limited to 32 Gb, because they have SDHC slots and not SDXC.
 
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
sjarrel
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
In regards to accessing the extsdcard from the PC connection, it cannot be done on the Android system. Android is set up to let a USB connection to PC mount the SDcard only, which in our case turns out to be the main storage. If you need to add files to your SD card you can a) copy to the main SD card and move after you dismount or b) send to your PE by means of something like Dropbox, Awesome Drop, SugarSync etc.
In addition to a) and b) from cheyennedonna I'll throw in:

c) unmount the external sd-card from the eDGe, put it in the reader (if you have one) on your PC, copy your files and put it back in the eDGe.
d) use a usb-stick to copy or move files from the PC to the eDGe
 
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
ivan
Edge User
 
In addition to the above I would add e) use ES File Explorer to connect to a FTP server, if you have one, and transfer what you want where you want it.

I also know hat not every one has a FTP server on their network but ES file Explorer also has a LAN option which I think can be used if you have a windows computer - not having one I am unable to test this.
 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
swedge
Edge User
 
32 it is

Thank you for that confirmation. It saves me some $$, headaches and time! sw
 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
swedge
Edge User
 
I'm sorry, I guess I have one more question before purchasing a 32GB SDHC card....there are different "classes" of cards. Does that make a difference to the 7" Pocket Edge? Is Class 4 okay or is higher better? I assume the difference is speed of access? And is SanDisk still the "best" brand of SD cards or does Kingston or other competitors' cards work in the Dualbook? I read some feedback that SanDisk doesn't always disclose the class of their cards now??? Thanks so much for your help! sw
 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
sjarrel
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedge View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I have one more question before purchasing a 32GB SDHC card....there are different "classes" of cards. Does that make a difference to the 7" Pocket Edge? Is Class 4 okay or is higher better? I assume the difference is speed of access? And is SanDisk still the "best" brand of SD cards or does Kingston or other competitors' cards work in the Dualbook? I read some feedback that SanDisk doesn't always disclose the class of their cards now??? Thanks so much for your help! sw
I have Kingston 32 Gb Class 4 and it works pretty well. There is a thread about all the SD-cards that work and those who won't work on the EE. (Probable also in one of the Welcome Baskets borisb made). I think that will be the same for the PE.

Edit: here it is: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ght=cards+work

Last edited by sjarrel; 05-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accessories question about microSD card and accessing files alex_edge enTourage Archive 8 12-14-2010 11:36 AM
Calibre does not see external usb drives. WEMV Calibre 6 02-07-2010 04:20 PM
Accessing USB-sticks with 2.12? Tommy iRex 0 02-18-2008 04:18 PM
Accessing many files on an SD card charliearmoryco Amazon Kindle 8 01-25-2008 08:30 PM
Accessing different eBook files stored on external card? daught Workshop 3 05-25-2004 10:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.