Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
rvcullen
Edge User

Photos Inside the Pocket eDGe

I decided to open up my Pocket eDGe and take some pictures along the way, in case anyone wanted to know what's in there!
I posted them to photobucket with some descriptions of what parts I could figure out. Enjoy!

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...Pocket%20eDGe/

Later!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
obsessed2
Edge User

Way cool. I take it the cover screws are under the bumpers. Unfortunately, a search for the PE battery model number turns up nothing. Even a search using Getac results in nothing. I'll keep searching however. Can you post a procedure for tearing it apart along with any difficulties and suggestions for future reference.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
sjarrel
Edge User

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
rvcullen
Edge User

Yup, the screws are under each bumper. I just used the edge of a hobby knife to pop them up and peel off. The battery pack is proprietary to Entourage, but the 2 batteries contained in it, you could probably locate similar units. When you flip over the pack, it is taped together with a black type of plastic adhesive. i peeled it open to see the 2 batteries and the control/charge board a the top. If you can find similar sized batteries, you could just solder them to the board. I guess that would be a last-ditch kind of thing in case we can't get new packs anymore. if i can find any substitutes I will surely post them.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
paula-t
Edge User

Dear R.V.Cullen:

You have been awarded the Corageous McGyver of the Year Award!

A fellow forum member living in Russia (can't remember his name now) was craving for photos like this and he even suggested someone to do exactly what you did.
By the way (and so as to assess the candidacy for Corageous McGyver of the Decade), did you do surgery on a healthy PE or on an out-of-service unit?
More questions: Have you reassembled everything? And then? Did it work again?

If official Technical and Repair Service ever goes down the sewer, you could get lots of help "requests" around here!

And to everyone: Happy day! (International Worker's Day).

Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
rvcullen
Edge User

The unit was only about 1 hour out of the brand-new box! I figure what the heck! I do a lot of work on electronics, so I wasn't too scared to do it, and it all still works beautifully. I mostly did it to see what processor was REALLY in there and to check the battery and maybe a way to add an external flat li-po or something (besides the commerical universal stuff that's out there).
Very cool stuff for the price, I might add!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
fgruber
Edge User

So what processor did it have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcullen View Post
The unit was only about 1 hour out of the brand-new box! I figure what the heck! I do a lot of work on electronics, so I wasn't too scared to do it, and it all still works beautifully. I mostly did it to see what processor was REALLY in there and to check the battery and maybe a way to add an external flat li-po or something (besides the commerical universal stuff that's out there).
Very cool stuff for the price, I might add!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

He said a Marvell Armada 168. The chip with the big M on it says "88AP168".

Here's the hardware sheet for the 16x chips.

The package markings are documented in section 4.2, on page 26 in the hardware PDF file.

Last edited by kenjennings; 05-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
So what processor did it have?
It is indeed a Marvell PXA168. According to Quick System Info Pro (which can be downloaded free from the Amazon App Store) it is a Marvell Mohawk rev 0(v51) running at 796.26 MHz. Here is a product Overview:

http://www.marvell.com/products/proc...pxa_168_pb.pdf

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-02-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
gecko
Edge User

I really admire your propensity for taking apart complicated things that are under your control, but I can't help wondering whether people are nervous about letting you babysit their children.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Queue
Edge User

Perfect timing on this, rvcullen. My full size EE, which turned 1 year old today, decided to break on me over the weekend. The charger adapter in the unit broke, so no way to charge the battery or even run the unit on ac once the battery dies. Not good. As I live in Korea, tech supports only option was to send it in for repair at $65+ each way. For a $2 part. Seeing how simple it is to work inside the thing, I'll bring it over to the techno-mart by my work for repair. They'll probably be able to put on a normal size plug tip, too.
Great photos and thanks for being brave enough with your new PE to do this! And for saving me $128 and several weeks without my EE!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
...The charger adapter in the unit broke, so no way to charge the battery or even run the unit on ac once the battery dies. Not good. As I live in Korea, tech supports only option was to send it in for repair at $65+ each way. For a $2 part. Seeing how simple it is to work inside the thing, I'll bring it over to the techno-mart by my work for repair. They'll probably be able to put on a normal size plug tip, too.
If you are talking about the little pin inside: I had the same problem 10 month ago. The little pin broke. I have put a 19mm peace of a paperclip in the hole. With the battery out of the EE I could see that it did no harm inside. It works very well and is even less than $2.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
If you are talking about the little pin inside: I had the same problem 10 month ago. The little pin broke. I have put a 19mm peace of a paperclip in the hole. With the battery out of the EE I could see that it did no harm inside. It works very well and is even less than $2.
Ooh, I'll have to remember this. I got my EE RMA'd a while ago for this issue, and I've been afraid of it happening again ever since. I haven't used my EE nearly as much since then as I did before.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
rvcullen
Edge User

LOL! Huh, "I was just curious....You go ahead and keep the sitter money, I'll let myself out"