Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
Leslie
Edge User
 
I transfer all my files via DropBox. Could that have anything to do with it? (I have not had any problems with any other ebooks, prior, tho...)?
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Any idea why this has to be first done from a PC rather than from the eDGe itself? Does it somehow complete the loan process, so that the eDGe can then open it as a "loaned" book?
Yes, I assume it has to do with the Adobe reader software needing to contact adobe servers re permissions for that particular book. But that doesn't explain why we lost the ability to identify and return borrowed books.
 
 
Enthusiast
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Leslie
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Overdrive Media Console is your problem (also see my previous post). Having it installed means it will automatically make itself the default for most of your ereading downloads. Still, if you side load files onto your device using either a flash drive or the mini USB cord, instead of opening them through Overdrive, you can read them on the eink screen. Just remember to open them on your pc first.

Overdrive became so problematic for me that I uninstallled it.
I will uninstall and try this. Thank you!
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I transfer all my files via DropBox. Could that have anything to do with it? (I have not had any problems with any other ebooks, prior, tho...)?
I often use Sugarsync, so I doubt dropbox is the problem--as long as the files have been opened on your pc/mac first using adobe digital editions. I'm reading several books borrowed from nypl on the eink side. Eye strain is too much for me when reading for long periods of time on the lcd sceeen.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 02-06-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Leslie
Edge User
 
Thank you for your help. I will have to get ahold of tech support since nothing I have tried has seemed to work Thanks again!
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #21
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
I'd be curious to know what the solution is, assuming they help you with one. As an aside, I have a NYPL card, which is apparently Manhattan-specific. I can't, for example, borrow ebooks from the Brooklyn Public Library, although technically it is part of the New York City Public Library. So even if you don't actually have a NYPL card, you wouldn't be able to actually download any books, despite what Overdrive may tell you.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
gecko
Edge User
 
Hi. I'm new here, but even I know that the Brooklyn Public Library is technically not part of the New York Public Library system. Neither, for that matter, is the Queens Public Library. NYPL = Manhattan, Bronx, and Staten Island (wherever that is, actually I know, but mostly nobody cares). I think that Manhattan/Bronx/SI residents can get cards for the Brooklyn and Queens systems; at least they used to be able to, but they do require separate cards. I couldn't use my own NYPL card for a while because I'd lost a cd, and they wouldn't let me pay for it - I went in several times, and each time the librarian told me to go home and look for it again. After a few years, the system forgot about me, and I got a new card.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
Good to know, but I think the point is that if you don't have a NYPL card, you can't borrow ebooks from the NYPL. Leslie wasn't clear about whether she has a card for NYPL.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
gecko
Edge User
 
Oh, you're right, I just reread the thread with a little more caffeine in my system, and it looks like Leslie doesn't have an NYPL card. Leslie - you can get an NYPL card if you live or work or go to school in or pay property taxes anywhere in New York State. Or if you can fake that, with ID, but that would be illegal, so I won't suggest it. Acceptable ID is a letter from a homeless shelter, if that's of any help ...

Last edited by gecko; 02-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
you can get an NYPL card if you live or work or go to school in or pay property taxes anywhere in New York State. Or if you can fake that, with ID, but that would be illegal, so I won't suggest it.
Hilarious! Fake New York state ID cards abound, though neither gecko nor I recommend you break the law, unless you're also planning to go clubbin'. Then it's worth it.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #26
Leslie
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Oh, you're right, I just reread the thread with a little more caffeine in my system, and it looks like Leslie doesn't have an NYPL card. Leslie - you can get an NYPL card if you live or work or go to school in or pay property taxes anywhere in New York State. Or if you can fake that, with ID, but that would be illegal, so I won't suggest it. Acceptable ID is a letter from a homeless shelter, if that's of any help ...
I have success!! Had nothing to do with my library card after all! It had to do with my (very) outdated version of Flash.. silly me!
(I guess I should stop ignoring all the update notifications I get...)

Last edited by Leslie; 02-07-2011 at 07:01 PM.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
NiaTrue
Edge User
 
Flash? On your PC, you mean?
 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
Leslie
Edge User
 
Yes. On my PC.
Thank you all for your help! BTW, tech support got back to me in a very timely manner. They were very helpful!


Never mind. I guess that wasn't the issue after all. Just downloaded another book from there and same thing. Have to retrace my steps again. grrrr. This is more hassle than it's worth it appears.

Last edited by Leslie; 02-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
 
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
cheyennedonna
Edge User
 
Leslie, have you authorized your edge with Adobe Digital Editions? By that I mean connect your edge to your PC via USB and open Adobe Digital Editions. Your edge should now show as a device in the left hand column and Adobe should offer to authorize your device. A folder will be made on your edge. After you download a library book, open it in Adobe Digital editions, plug in your edge and drag the library book( from the all items area in Adobe) over the listing for your edge. The book will sideload and you will find it in the Digital Editions folder on your edge, in the internal storage directory. Tap it to open. It should open on the reader. Add it to the library if you want.
 
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #30
Leslie
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Leslie, have you authorized your edge with Adobe Digital Editions? By that I mean connect your edge to your PC via USB and open Adobe Digital Editions. Your edge should now show as a device in the left hand column and Adobe should offer to authorize your device. A folder will be made on your edge. After you download a library book, open it in Adobe Digital editions, plug in your edge and drag the library book( from the all items area in Adobe) over the listing for your edge. The book will sideload and you will find it in the Digital Editions folder on your edge, in the internal storage directory. Tap it to open. It should open on the reader. Add it to the library if you want.
Thank you. I haven't done that but when I get home tonight I will. This has been a rather bizarre experience. After a few minutes, all the books from NYPL that would not open all of a sudden would open, so, I gave up trying to figure out WHY at that moment and just read
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning library books early, locked account brdwygurl General Discussions 57 08-03-2011 05:24 PM
Read Borrowed Library Books on the Cybook - How to Fix the Date cmbs Bookeen 66 01-17-2011 05:16 PM
Returning library books - Brisbane / Yarra Plenty HarleyB General Discussions 0 10-26-2010 06:13 AM
Checking in public library books and "Borrowed" status Lucybelle Sony Reader 2 03-24-2010 01:42 AM
"clock" issues with borrowed library books? and ADE ?? GraceKrispy Sony Reader 5 01-08-2009 03:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.