Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
thorne
Edge User

Will the EE ever perform "Snappy"?

I'm curious about this.
As it stands, and as it has been, the EE isn't the quickest performer - I encounter a delay, or lag, often during my interaction with it. Is this because of the hardware or version of Android?
Through these forums, I am aware that there is now a version of Android designed for the tablet. Can significant performance improvements be expected from the edge with this updated OS?
This brings me to my final question, everyone wants flash, but I'm not so sure. Reports on the Samsug tab are that Flash playback is lackluster. Doesn't the Samsung Tab contain superior hardware to the EE, and is running a more optimized version of Android? What exactly does this forebode for the EE when it comes to Flash performance?

Thanks for reading and, hopefully, responding.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
FoxkehKayak
Edge User

This is pure speculations but I expect the speed to stay about the same. The software may be optimized with future versions but more stuff (features, visual things) will be added so it will probably cancel out. I can say that this is my experience with Windows OS updates. Don't have a Mac but maybe someone else can comment.

I used to be firmly in the pro flash camp (because I liked making mini games with flash, it's pretty easy!) but now I am tending towards the middle. Many restaurant websites use flash so I have found myself not being able to look at the menus, and going to my laptop. On the other hand. I read the NY times online, and every time I do, this huge flash ad pops up, which is annoying. When I started paying more attention to it, really a lot of ads use flash, and not having flash support gets around them...

Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
alefor
Edge User

The Samsung Galaxy Tab runs Android 2.2, which, I believe, Google says is "Not Ready for Prime Time" when it comes to Tablets. I believe they are saying that Android 3.0, which to my knowledge is not yet shipping on any device, is the version truly optimized for tablets. Having said that, although never having seen it in action, Android 2.2 is supposed to be faster than 1.6 which we have on our eDGe.

I do so much web browsing on my iPhone that I really dont care about Flash, but maybe thats just me. I have to say that I agree with FoxkehKayak, that as more "updated" versions of Android come out, the performance or at least the perception of performance, will change little. The asymptotic limit of this would be like running Windows 7 on an original 8088 PC. We can only hope that Entourage updates the hardware with a faster processor and more memory (things I really wish they had done with the Pocket eDGe) as new versions of Android are released. It will be interesting to see what the performance is like on our eDGe devices when Android 2.2 is finally made available to us.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
rcool
Edge User

The eDGe's CPU is only running at half the speed it was initially announced at. I don't think it was ever mentioned why. One hopes they'll at least offer the option of full speed, even if the battery only lasts half as long. Android 2.2 or later has been said to improve the speed but who knows on the eDGe.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
FoxkehKayak
Edge User

After thinking about it, the big difference between Windows and Android as operating systems is age, so it might not be a fair comparison. I don't think there is much more speed optimizing to be done with Windows because it has been around for a while. Android on the other hand is newer, so some ironing out could outweigh added complexities in newer versions. I say this after poking around the android website for a while and reading about the types of changes between versions.

I heard about the CPU speed before somewhere but it does seem odd... an option for more speed would be nice. But also, because the battery is removable, they could offer a better battery if such technology comes along to increase the battery life.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
janvangastel
Edge User

I understood from another thread (which I can't find now) that the Edge would get too hot when running full speed, because of the lack of active cooling inside.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Actually I think the analogy between Windows and Android is valid. As Android gets more features, if the hardware it runs on doesnt get better, any improvements in software speed will be counterbalanced by inferior hardware speed. So, while Android 2.2 may run faster than 1.6 on our existing hardware (eDGe), when Android 3.0 his released, it may be so feature rich as to run terribly on the existing eDGe hardware. Thats exactly what happened as Windows matured, we needed faster and faster hardware to run the improved versions. As I said, the asymptotic limit of that now would be to run Windows 7 on an IBM PC (8088). Running Android 3.0 (supposedly optimized for tablets) may require processor speeds and memory out of reach with the current eDGe devices.... of course, thats not all bad for Entourage as people will buy new hardware. Let's hope that a better hardware platform is in our future.