Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
sordie
Edge User
 
Library compatibility between Pocket Edge and BackPack Edge

Can the Library be exchanged between the two devices? This is useful when you want to use the BackPack Edge around the house/Office, and a Pocket Edge on a Trip. Two scenarios I can think of:

1-I copy the library between the machines somehow; or preferably.
2-Have the library on an external SD card (as outlined in how to move the library to the SD Card). Then move the external SD card between the two device as needed (obviously will need an adapted for the micro card on the BackPack Edge).

I'd love some feedback from the EE staff, or anyone else who can answer.

PS: A minor comment to EE Marketing - the "Pocket Edge" name potentially created a problem in addressing the Big brother Edge; Using the term EE is is no longer sufficient to distinguish between the devices, so we need to find a qualifier to identify the big brother, the original, or as I called it, the BackPack Edge.

Last edited by sordie; 11-08-2010 at 02:11 PM.
 
Old 11-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Snow
Edge User
 
Sordie,

I think I may have an even easier solution. You can archive your contents on your device (including the library) and restore your contents on a different device, so long as they are registered with the same account. However, if it's annotations, they may not appear at the same ratio so that might not look quite right. I hope this is a viable solution. Let us know how it goes!
 
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
sordie
Edge User
 
Thanks for the quick reply Snow. Unfortunately, online archiving is not an option for me. I have almost 10GB of scanned documents. The amount of time required to upload and download such an archive would not be pleasant (not to mention my ISP bill which has a data quota of 5GB). It seemed to me that moving the SD card between the machines would have been the perfect solution.

PS: I am considering the option of buying a pocket edge for this purpose. I found that carrying around the 3.25 lb device is simply too much on longer trips where I also have to carry a 5 pound laptop. Also, during my last trip, while sitting on my plane seat, I found the weight difficult to handle while I was scribbling.

Annotations are not a main concern - most of my PDFs would be difficult to annotate or read on a 6" device. My bigger issue is the journal - how would my notes look. In any case, I realize that this use I am suggesting is probably one not contemplated directly, so no worries if I am asking too much.
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
devseev
Edge User
 
Hmm... you may have difficulty loading 10GB of books into the library anyway - as far as I know the internal memory is only 2GB or so and that's where everything imported to the library gets stored.

However you shouldn't have an issue with opening the documents on an SD card on either device, since importing to the library is not required for viewing documents on the eReader (it is only required if you want to make annotations).
 
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User
 
Sordie may be thinking of moving the Library to the SD card (https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=134).
 
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Snow
Edge User
 
Sordie,

I talked to some dev guys and exporting and importing the library between devices is not going to work since the library keys off of the serial number and no two devices will have the same serial number. It is possible to change your serial number but it's definitely a hack that may result in some bad things. I would highly recommend just storing everything onto an SD card and not internal memory.
 
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I would highly recommend just storing everything onto an SD card and not internal memory.
I.e., "not in the Library", as devseev had suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
However you shouldn't have an issue with opening the documents on an SD card on either device, since importing to the library is not required for viewing documents on the eReader (it is only required if you want to make annotations).
 
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Chubulor
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordie View Post
PS: A minor comment to EE Marketing - the "Pocket Edge" name potentially created a problem in addressing the Big brother Edge; Using the term EE is is no longer sufficient to distinguish between the devices, so we need to find a qualifier to identify the big brother, the original, or as I called it, the BackPack Edge.
Good idea. I'm holding out for them to release a Wheelbarrow Edge myself.
 
Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User
 
Oh, Chubulor! Sigh
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
skapsal
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Good idea. I'm holding out for them to release a Wheelbarrow Edge myself.
If you mean android on a 42" plasma ... I'm with ya ... we could call it google tv though.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Gunnerp245
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Good idea. I'm holding out for them to release a Wheelbarrow Edge myself.


HaHaHa! Never did tell us if you work for Jim Beam?!?!?
 
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I talked to some dev guys and exporting and importing the library between devices is not going to work since the library keys off of the serial number and no two devices will have the same serial number. It is possible to change your serial number but it's definitely a hack that may result in some bad things. I would highly recommend just storing everything onto an SD card and not internal memory.
The "Local Backups" you can make to a memory key - does this mean if I ever have to replace my eDGe, that I won't be able to restore my backup from the old eDGe onto my new eDGe?
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners obsessed2 enTourage eDGe 243 06-03-2012 04:12 PM
eDGe Firmware Updates für enTourage eDGe und Pocket eDGe beachwanderer Andere Lesegeräte 3 07-25-2011 04:31 AM
enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 3 borisb enTourage Archive 21 05-17-2011 03:19 PM
enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 1 borisb enTourage Archive 23 12-31-2010 08:51 AM
enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 2 borisb enTourage Archive 6 12-18-2010 09:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.