Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
kenjennings
Edge User
 
Bigger, not smaller.

I'd like an e-Ink screen the same size an an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper.
The LCD size and resolution would have to be upscaled to match, too.
 
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User
 
That would indeed be ideal, although I worry about weight. Mind you, material science continues to improve, and as enTourage grows they may be able to afford more cutting edge materials to make things lighter...
 
 
Enthusiast
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User
 
The small size of my iLiad and the promised, huge size of the Plastic Logic reader was my primary reason for following Plastic Logic news. Then they chose to use lame software on their reader. Then it was grossly overpriced like the iLiad. Then they pretty much canceled it. Then the edge came out. End of that story. Would still appreciate bigger displays.
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
henry_moh
Edge User
 
A better way may be enTourage only sell the e-INK side, but it can connect to whatever smart phone by using smart phone app and with blue tooth or wireless or even cable.
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
jsfiller
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_moh View Post
A better way may be enTourage only sell the e-INK side, but it can connect to whatever smart phone by using smart phone app and with blue tooth or wireless or even cable.
That would be a way to assure I don't buy one. It would also be more complicated when it comes to making sure the two interact well with each other.
 
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
VenturingSoul
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_moh View Post
A better way may be enTourage only sell the e-INK side, but it can connect to whatever smart phone by using smart phone app and with blue tooth or wireless or even cable.
I would much rather see the two sides dockable so that if I wanted to use just the ereader I could "undock" it and leave the tablet behind....or vice versa. However, since the edge has only one processor and one memory bank, that isn't going to happen. Would be awesome though.
 
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
jsfiller
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturingSoul View Post
I would much rather see the two sides dockable so that if I wanted to use just the ereader I could "undock" it and leave the tablet behind....or vice versa. However, since the edge has only one processor and one memory bank, that isn't going to happen. Would be awesome though.
This I could see being useful.
 
Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
D4N14L
Edge User
 
Well... I could see myself using a device that is 8.5 x 11 , but not by enTourage. They seem to like the inch-thick-bezel look to their devices. Not to my tastes. Now, an 8.5 x 11 slate using PixelQi screens, capacitive touch layer, and pen input capability? My dream device. That, or a thin-as-heck convertible slate/laptop that could run Android beside a real OS like Windows, Linux, or even Chrome OS.
 
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
dcubed2
Edge User
 
I'd also like a larger display. Even in the physical paper, some of my 19th century periodicals are huge(>8.5x11), and have tiny type (6pt?) so that I have to use a magnifier to read the darn thing. I guess people back then had better eyesight, despite using firelight, oil lamps and the like.
 
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
my 19th century periodicals are huge(>8.5x11), and have tiny type (6pt?)
A good example of why we need landscape support on the eInk side, even if just "read-only".
 
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
kenjennings
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
I'd also like a larger display. Even in the physical paper, some of my 19th century periodicals are huge(>8.5x11), and have tiny type (6pt?) so that I have to use a magnifier to read the darn thing. I guess people back then had better eyesight, despite using firelight, oil lamps and the like.
Suppose that may be due to the relatively higher cost to make paper back then? Or the labor involved in typesetting a page? I'd figure if printing requires hand setting type before manually pressing, then I'd shoot for the biggest piece of paper possible with the most text possible, to reduce the number of pages/typesetting exercises to a minimum. Any History experts here?
 
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
dcubed2
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Suppose that may be due to the relatively higher cost to make paper back then? Or the labor involved in typesetting a page? I'd figure if printing requires hand setting type before manually pressing, then I'd shoot for the biggest piece of paper possible with the most text possible, to reduce the number of pages/typesetting exercises to a minimum. Any History experts here?
Hmm, never thought about that. Sounds logical, and there were a lot of competing publications - some being done locally by amateurs. Some of the periodicals are in bigger type, smaller paper. Some were in a 'newspaper' type of format, accounting for the larger paper size. Some are highly illustrated. Here's one with tiny print from Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=2uM...page&q&f=false I'm not sure of the original size of the publication.

Anyway, having a larger eDGe would be really nice, especially considering the difficulties in smoothly zooming and moving around the page.
 
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
kenjennings
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
. . .Some of the periodicals are in bigger type, smaller paper. Some were in a 'newspaper' type of format, accounting for the larger paper size. Some are highly illustrated. Here's one with tiny print from Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=2uM...page&q&f=false I'm not sure of the original size of the publication...
Looks like a typical large-page newspaper to me. And it looks like it is scanned and not converted to text. Zooming in improves things slightly until the text gets fuzzy again. The PDF version of this is far worse than the online google version. (The google clip tool does an admirable [not perfect] job of turning the fuzzy text into plain copy/paste-able text.) I think most of the blame for the awful appearance of the text is insufficient resolution of the scan, but given pages this huge they had to make some kind of compromise or the PDF would be unreasonably huge.

Last edited by kenjennings; 11-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.
 
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
dcubed2
Edge User
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Looks like a typical large-page newspaper to me. And it looks like it is scanned and not converted to text. Zooming in improves things slightly until the text gets fuzzy again. The PDF version of this is far worse than the online google version. (The google clip tool does an admirable [mot perfect] job of turning the fuzzy text into plain copy/paste-able text.) I think most of the blame for the awful appearance of the text is insufficient resolution of the scan, but given pages this huge they had to make some kind of compromise of the PDF would be unreasonably huge.
I haven't downloaded the pdf, just looking at it online made me realize that trying to get it large enough to read comfortably would make it hard to scroll through on the eDGe. But I have some periodicals where the font size is pretty much what you see online, especially for letters to the editor. Sheesh.
 
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POLL: TBR Pile — Bigger or Smaller in 2010? pdurrant General Discussions 37 12-21-2010 02:14 AM
Apple: Smaller than the Kindle, but with a bigger touchscreen Sonist News 30 05-23-2009 12:04 AM
Smaller fonts? Tectonic Sony Reader 5 02-11-2009 01:35 PM
Is my screen smaller badspell68 Sony Reader 4 05-22-2008 04:48 PM
Can I make it smaller? jennaclaire Sony Reader 6 01-14-2008 09:10 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.