Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Caribbean Paradise without gadgets?
Hell no. 23 76.67%
Hell yeah. 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Visit the Caribbeans... without your gadgets?

Crazy story, but it's real. A luxury resort in the Caribbean decided to ban any mobiles, laptops and PDA's from its beaches. I am not sure if that also includes the Sony Reader or any other e-book device... but still, would you visit this dreamy land of technophobia?

Before you decide, make sure you have a look how gorgeous it looks there:

http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Not taking onto the beach is different from not taking it at all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't take a chance on carrying a PDA or cell phone or whatever to the beach anyway. Well, I guess I would like to be able to carry a cheap MP3 player with earbuds, so I don't like the idea of an electronics ban. The real problem seems to me to be noise. Ban loud noise and radios and phone ringing, and I might even look for that resort. I know people like to party and lay in the pool with loud music blasting, but personally I enjoy quiet nature.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Travelling without gadgets is an unimaginable horror. For a while last year they banned pretty much all hand luggage on flights between the US and UK, when there was all that fuss about liquid explosives. That was horrendous, having to face an 8h flight "gadget-less" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Travelling without gadgets is an unimaginable horror. For a while last year they banned pretty much all hand luggage on flights between the US and UK, when there was all that fuss about liquid explosives. That was horrendous, having to face an 8h flight "gadget-less" .
I had just that experience in January. Coming back from my first trip overseas, I was stuck in a middle seat for 9 hours. With only a nonfunctional PDA. While they played The da Vinci Code on the front wall of the cabin. *shudder* I still have nightmares.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
That ban on gadgets couldn't have come out of the blue -- there must have been some obnoxious The-World-Is-My-Phonebooth/Concert Hall types that annoyed the piss out of the other guests. Or perhaps a rash of thefts of said gadgets while the owners swam or waked along the beach, for which the resort did not want to be liable.

Of course, to make the beach really idyllic, they would also have to ban jet skis and power boats...
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
It would be extremely tough weening myself from the technology I love, for a few days. Sure, we're on vacation but I still need my Internet, and general unwinding time via reading, games, and music. As for taking it physically to the beach... nope, wouldn't take the risk of ruining it due to some freak occurrence; i.e., rain, sand, stepped on, stolen, etc. I might take an MP3 player to relax listening to music, but then there's the sound of the ocean and screaming kids... Ok, better bring the MP3 player!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
At first I was thinking no technology sounded great, but actually there's no way I could relax without my phone. Not that I want to be talking on my phone or that I get that many calls, but having my phone with me gives me peace of mind. Like, someone *could* reach me if something went wrong, and since they haven't, everything must be ok. Maybe I'm just paranoid!
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm the only IT person at a company of about 90 employees. I couldn't go without my phone or laptop. Even if I wanted to...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Never. It is getting to the point where it is unsafe to not carry your phone. The public phones of by-gone days have almost all gone away and when was the last time you saw an emergency call box on a highway?

As for a vacation, ok, I can leave the stuff in a room safe for a few hours; but, not for a few days.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Voted no, mainly because if one resort is closed to gadgets, another will be open.

Of course, if someone gave me the vacation for free I'd go for it and just read some *shudder* paper books on the beach. I've got to admit it's about the only gadget I wouldn't want to do without. (Then again, if it was just no gadgets on the beach... who wants sand in their reader buttons??? )
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I went to Mazatlan last week. I brought my reader and spent hours laying in the pool, AND Ocean, with my reader in a aquapac bag reading up a storm! I loved it!

I wouldn't go to a resort that banned electronic devices.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All-inclusive bans are just dumb. Noise? My PDA doesn't make any... besides, it's a beach, not a library. Glare? Take a look at a pair of sunglasses. Theft? I back up, and insure. Ugly? Did you just see that fat guy in the Speedos? There's just no good reason for an all-inclusive ban.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can think of one ... Techno-Geeks' spouses who want to escape the gadget siege.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
And, like kilohertz above mentioned, maybe it's also a concern with thefts - if a whole bunch of thefts were reported I could see their insurance premiums going up.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote