Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #91
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,111
Karma: 8671315
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
As far as I know market is not working with touch nooter 1.1 so far


If you want to install non market apps after root the first thing you should do is open nookcolor tools from the apps see if allow non market apps is ticked or not even if it is enabled I would recommend disabling it and then enabling it. Then copy any app you want to the nook from your computer use root explorer to install it. I would recommend installing and using dropbox as it allows to transfer files easily between nook and your computer without wires.
If you don't have a dropbox account use my referral link at it will extra 250Mb free to both of us http://db.tt/aaaPuoc
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #92
language gamer
Member
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 245
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
As far as I know market is not working with touch nooter 1.1 so far


If you want to install non market apps after root the first thing you should do is open nookcolor tools from the apps see if allow non market apps is ticked or not even if it is enabled I would recommend disabling it and then enabling it. Then copy any app you want to the nook from your computer use root explorer to install it. I would recommend installing and using dropbox as it allows to transfer files easily between nook and your computer without wires.
If you don't have a dropbox account use my referral link at it will extra 250Mb free to both of us http://db.tt/aaaPuoc
I guess I jumped the gun there.
Where I'm stuck is installing these apps. I can't find root explorer anywhere on the device, and I can't figure out how to install an apk with the tools available in touchnooter 1.11
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #93
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,111
Karma: 8671315
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
You are correct I had already rooted and installed root explorer before I upgraded to the latest version so already had root explorer when I use touch nooter 1.1.
You will need to use adb wireless to install root explorer or another file explorer.

You have to do step 11 from this page
http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/06/how...uncher-review/
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #94
language gamer
Member
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 245
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
You are correct I had already rooted and installed root explorer before I upgraded to the latest version so already had root explorer when I use touch nooter 1.1.
You will need to use adb wireless to install root explorer or another file explorer.

You have to do step 11 from this page
http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/06/how...uncher-review/
Thanks! That took care of my problem completely.

On reasons to root:
The Nook reader looks and works great, but has a very limited feature set. If you really want control over your reading experience, want to fill in the Nook's major omissions (landscape mode, exporting notes), or want to do more than read books, rooting is worth it (even though it can be difficult if you don't know what you are doing; thanks again Dopedangel!)
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #95
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,111
Karma: 8671315
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by language gamer View Post
Thanks! That took care of my problem completely.

On reasons to root:
The Nook reader looks and works great, but has a very limited feature set. If you really want control over your reading experience, want to fill in the Nook's major omissions (landscape mode, exporting notes), or want to do more than read books, rooting is worth it (even though it can be difficult if you don't know what you are doing; thanks again Dopedangel!)
If you want to install market and other google apps try this thread. If you can use adb wireless it should be easy for you

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1346748
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #96
NicholasV
Enthusiast
NicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavens
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 13944
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dover, NJ
Device: Nook Touch, (ex)Kindle 3
I have a question about the Nook Touch. Is rooting win-win-win or is more like win-lose? Do you lose anything by rooting besides the warranty?

Also I see some posts on other sites mentioning that with newer software updates B&N has closed off the previous exploits that allowed rooting.

Last edited by NicholasV; 11-23-2011 at 08:50 PM.
NicholasV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #97
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,111
Karma: 8671315
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasV View Post
I have a question about the Nook Touch. Is rooting win-win-win or is more like win-lose? Do you lose anything by rooting besides the warranty?

Also I see some posts on other sites mentioning that with newer software updates B&N has closed off the previous exploits that allowed rooting.
Its win win you don't loose nook original functionality. But are able to do more the latest firmware has been rooted and its very easy to root with the touchnooter available on xda nook touch forums.
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #98
garion
Junior Member
garion began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Its win win you don't loose nook original functionality. But are able to do more the latest firmware has been rooted and its very easy to root with the touchnooter available on xda nook touch forums.
that was my concern. I just got the Nook Touch and did the update to 1.1. But was wondering if the 1.1 affects how one roots it or if it could be rooted at all. My thinking that the rooting is only for the version 1.0.
garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #99
language gamer
Member
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 245
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garion View Post
that was my concern. I just got the Nook Touch and did the update to 1.1. But was wondering if the 1.1 affects how one roots it or if it could be rooted at all. My thinking that the rooting is only for the version 1.0.
When I used touchnooter to root 1.1, I had problems because gapps was not included. Thanks to Dopedangel, I was able to get it working, so I can definitely say it's possible to root with 1.1.

Right now it looks like there is a new touchnooter with gapps support. I haven't tried it, but you can find it here

There's always some level of difficulty and risk in rooting a device, but once it's operational, it's definitely a win-win.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #100
garion
Junior Member
garion began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by language gamer View Post
When I used touchnooter to root 1.1, I had problems because gapps was not included. Thanks to Dopedangel, I was able to get it working, so I can definitely say it's possible to root with 1.1.

Right now it looks like there is a new touchnooter with gapps support. I haven't tried it, but you can find it here

There's always some level of difficulty and risk in rooting a device, but once it's operational, it's definitely a win-win.
Thanks!!! I'll work up the nerve and try to root it and report back.

Those warnings in the instructions at xda, where you can wipe your own hard-drive, that's the one that throws me. I feel like I really need to bone up on the line command prompts for Mac before I root it. I'm just a nervous nelly. LOL.
garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Simple Touch Reader poll Rjl2001 Barnes & Noble NOOK 101 06-11-2011 11:33 AM
Touch Nook Simple Touch shipping NOW!!! negris123 Barnes & Noble NOOK 135 06-04-2011 05:07 PM
Pre-ordering Nook Simple Touch or Kobo Touch? SilentDuck Which one should I buy? 27 05-29-2011 05:27 PM
Classic Rooting 1005XX Nook 2twisty Nook Developer's Corner 15 02-15-2011 12:27 PM
Rooting Nook Color - Many questions Ankaa Nook Developer's Corner 1 12-30-2010 03:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.