Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #331
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or make it if one is checked, it unchecks the other.
Indeed, that is another way of doing it. In actual fact this dialog has three cases like this:

- Remove existing cover / Insert or Replace cover
- Remove margins from Adobe .xpgt files / Remove Adobe .xpgt files and links
- Remove legacy metadata jackets / Remove all metadata jackets

In all these cases if you choose the latter option, then the former option is redundant and should not be chosen by the user.

I'm up for feedback from people about this. The options are:
(1) Treat those three pairs of options above as checkboxes that when checked will uncheck their "partner".
(2) If the first option is checked, do nothing. If the second option is checked, uncheck and disable the first option. You must uncheck the second option to enable the first option.
(3) Do nothing. Behind the scenes I will ignore the fact that you chose the first option if the second is checked.

Suggestions please

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-31-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Took out some rubbish.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #332
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
In the direction of Mutually exclusive.
(M)DI groupings
tick a D box, and all the appropriate I's get excluded (disabled)

In this case the D tick box was you second item, not ticked allows the your first item
(Backwards logic here )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #333
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will add one more thing rather than edit my post yet again. My concern about options (1) & (2) is the lack of visual queues to the user that the checkboxes are linked. It is kind of using checkboxes like radio buttons and is a bit secret squirrel. There would have to be some sort of graphic added so the user would know visually, otherwise if they aren't careful they start wondering why some things uncheck themselves and others don't. Which makes me sway towards option (3)...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #334
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Indeed, that is another way of doing it. In actual fact this dialog has three cases like this:

- Remove existing cover / Insert or Replace cover
- Remove margins from Adobe .xpgt files / Remove Adobe .xpgt files and links
- Remove legacy metadata jackets / Remove all metadata jackets

In all these cases if you choose the latter option, then the former option is redundant and should not be chosen by the user.

I'm up for feedback from people about this. The options are:
(1) Treat those three pairs of options above as checkboxes that when checked will uncheck their "partner".
(2) If the first option is checked, do nothing. If the second option is checked, uncheck and disable the first option. You must uncheck the second option to enable the first option.
(3) Do nothing. Behind the scenes I will ignore the fact that you chose the first option if the second is checked.

Suggestions please
1 and 3 are OK. I don't like 2. But for my vote, I'd go with 1. I prefer the idea of having the correct options checked based on what I've checked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #335
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Final beta version

I was very tempted to just push this live already but given my recent track record with it some additional testers welcomed...

Changes for this beta version:
  • When choosing Remove existing cover, ensure any NCX and internal TOC links are removed.
  • If a user chooses one of the redundant options, don't run it.

I've chosen option (3) of those I presented in the posts above. It doesn't preclude me from also implementing option (1) of the checkboxes unticking themselves at a later date if people say they want it, but right now it stops the plugin from doing extra work or having unfortunate side-effects.

Last edited by kiwidude; 06-22-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS ZIP - sending code to home
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #336
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Now the cover links are fixed even when I have both exclusive options checked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #337
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Well, if there's a vote going on, I'd say cover.xhtml is even less ambiguous.
Well, yes, I couldn't disagree with that But as it's not what calibre conversions currently do, I suppose it's out of the question.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #338
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@JSWolf - Marvellous, thanks.

I'll give folks another 24 hours to see if anything else comes up and then it will be released. If anyone does notice anything that is related to a particular ePub, please just PM or email me with a link as soon as you do, it saves a whole lot of guessing and time on my part.

As a heads up I am also intending to move all of the posts related to this beta version into the Modify ePub development thread in the Development subforum. I was in two minds about whether to put the beta on that thread in the first place to keep this thread clean, but was worried I might not get enough people seeing it there. It is now 75 posts later, and once I release those posts are of no real interest/relevance to anyone in future browsing this thread, so some cleanout is on the cards.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #339
sherman
Addict
sherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC, B&N Nook, Sony PRS-650/BC, Kobo Glo
kiwidude:

When I use the modify epub plugin to update the cover in an epub, I notice that the resolution specified in the SVG does not change to match the size of the new cover. Not being an expert in SVG, does this matter at all?

Code:
<div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 x y" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
        <image width="x" height="y" xlink:href="cover"/>
    </svg>
</div>
I'm talking about the 'x' and 'y' above.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #340
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@sherman - that is a limitation in how the Save to Disk/Send to Device logic in calibre works (which is what this plugin calls if you use that "Update metadata" option).

IIRC calibre has fairly simple logic that is implemented when you save to disk/send to device for updating covers, it doesn't change the contents of the html page and just replaces the cover image itself if it can identify it.

If you want the height and width to be updated, then you would either reconvert, or even better use the insert/replace cover option that is in the beta version of this plugin due for release later today.

As to whether it matters or not... it probably depends on whether you have preserve aspect ratio set? Maybe Kovid can enlighten us...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #341
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC it does not matter. Those number establish the "viewbox" of the svg and since the image's width and height are set to the same numbers, its basically telling the renderer that the image should occupy the entire viewbox. The actual size of the image is irrelevant.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #342
sherman
Addict
sherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animalssherman is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC, B&N Nook, Sony PRS-650/BC, Kobo Glo
Thanks for the replies.

I had just noticed it while poking around inside my epubs, and wasn't sure if it mattered or not.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #343
Claghorn
Claghorn began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Here's an idea for a brand new feature I just did manually on one epub: An option to detect grayscale images in the book and change them to .png images instead that are black blocks with different transparency levels. This would make all the little chapter decorations and such look much better when you use a reader that has a non-white background set.
Claghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #344
Hoods7070
Zealot
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
Here's an idea for a brand new feature I just did manually on one epub: An option to detect grayscale images in the book and change them to .png images instead that are black blocks with different transparency levels. This would make all the little chapter decorations and such look much better when you use a reader that has a non-white background set.
That'd be nice ...
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #345
IDtheTarget
IDtheTarget began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Doesn't seem to be working anymore

I just updated Calibre to 0.9.34, and I can't seem to "Modify ePub" any longer. I'd added three tags and added a cover to each of six books I'd bought from bn.com (and imported using the DeDRM tool), and now I just get "failed" when I try to "modify ePub". I've tried it with only the "update metadata" check box, and both that one and "remove broken image pages" checked.

Could you look at it?

Thanks!
IDtheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote