Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #181
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Gunnerp245's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,118
Karma: 1043832
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US
Device: EE, PE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
I just bought one of these on Woot. While waiting on it to arrive, I am reading up on it. If I were to upgrade to ermine and it were to WSoD, would it the n be screwed? Or would I be able to downgrade?
Woot is selling the PE again? WSOD - some have been able to recover others have not. Is ermine the problem could be but likely it is caused by the inferior hardware components.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #182
space0matic
Junior Member
space0matic began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: enTourage eDGe
I am thinking of getting the WOOT's sale EDGE PE on sale today for $79. All I need is an ereader and something to be able to get on the internet with to check email and FaceBook, that kind of thing.
I work on a Mac Desktop (OS 10.5.8) and I'm looking for something portable for the above mentioned tasks.
Any advice for me?
TIA!

Last edited by space0matic; 09-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.
space0matic is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #183
Wyrlin
Junior Member
Wyrlin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Missouri
Device: enTourage eDGe
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Before I start my story I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread for all your advice and knowledge. Because of all of you, I was able to update my EE to 2.2 without asking any questions and only a marginal amount of frustration.
I've been trying for months to get my hands on a full-sized edge. Well I finally got one on e-bay for $335. It was a little more than I had planned to pay, but it came with an official black enTourage neoprene zipper case and an extra battery! Not to mention it came in the original packaging and it looks brand new, so I was even more excited at this point. Then I tried to update it and my excitement began to falter. I searched and searched and came across this forum.
Again I want to say thank you all for the information in this thread! I downloaded the update from http://dustyfeet.com/edge/ which also includes the golden update for EE and both update files for the PE. As per the instructions here, I tried updating with a USB several times with no success. I tried reformatting it back and forth many times between FAT and FAT32, and several different durations of holding down the Menu and Rotate buttons. Still no update. So I finally decided I was going to use the File Explorer to copy the update file to the physical storage on the EE and try that. However, the only way I could find to do that was to copy if from the SD card. So I used my computer to put the update on the SD card and put it back into my edge. I decided to try holding the buttons down on startup, just to see if it would update and VOILA!!!!

So if you are having trouble like I did, here is my advice.
1. Download the update from the site I posted above.
2. Make sure the filename is update.zip.
3. Instead of putting it on a USB, put it on an SD card.
My SD card is 16GB, has almost 9GB worth of PDF's on it,
and is formatted as FAT32.
4. With only the SD card inserted (no SIM or USB), press & hold the Menu and Rotate
buttons and then press the power button.
DO NOT RELEASE THE MENU AND ROTATE BUTTONS!
5. Continue to hold the Menu and Rotate buttons until you get the updating screen.
Once you see the update screen you can release the buttons and it will finish
updating on its own. I believe it was about 35-45 seconds. You may not have
to hold them that long, but that's what I did and it worked the first time.
6. The update takes less than 5 minutes and the couple of apps I had downloaded
was still there afterwords. Also the journal DOES still work after the update.

I don't mean to say that anyone else on this thread is wrong I just wanted to let people know that this is what I had to do to update mine. I'm looking forward to using my new EE and hoping that there will be some way to keep it up to date in the future. I have to learn everything about this device. It is my first "actual" e-reader, my first tablet, my first android (of any kind), and of courst my first edge. Thank you all again for your information on this forum and I hope that my contribution will help.
Wyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #184
edbollix
Junior Member
edbollix began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Device: Sony pocket 300
What Wyrlin said... Thank you all. My PE is now a lot more usable.
edbollix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #185
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.
 
Gerrye's Avatar
 
Posts: 128
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leblon, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Device: 1 EE 3 PEs 2 Blk,1 Red(1 for parts)& Kindle Paperwhite, Notes 2 & 3
I'll seed it as well

I'll seed it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Well, I'll start seeding it if there's anyone out there who will do likewise. It needs to spread to as many seeder machines as possible to ensure future availability and high speed DL.

File size is 383 MB and includes the dingo ("golden") and ermine updates plus instructions on how to use them, plus pdf and epub versions of the user guide. The file does not contain anything for the EE.

Here's a link to the torrent file:
http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent

My computer is on and connected almost 24/7 except when windows insists on shutting down to apply a security bandaid.

If Entourage happens to release a final version of froyo (yah, sure, youbetcha!) I'll pull this torrent and update the files before reseeding the torrent.
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #186
Dipdac
Junior Member
Dipdac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: pocket eDGe dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrye View Post
I'll seed it as well
as will I

also, forgot to say thanks to everyone for figuring this stuff out and keeping the update circulating online. this was hella frustrating before I found this thread. thx woot.

Last edited by Dipdac; 09-17-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: gratitude
Dipdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #187
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Filark's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,411
Karma: 2463560
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California, USA
Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to all you new people, and thanks for posting and for seeding!

Space0matic, I hope you decided to get a PE -- it sounds like the perfect thing for you (in my very humble and unbiased opinion! ).

Wyrlin, congratulations on your EE!! I got mine through ebay also, after several weeks of bidding and losing, and one fraudulent seller. Worked out in the end, though, and I am happy!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #188
bumblebum
Junior Member
bumblebum began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Device: Pocket eDGe, Kindle 3G, Toshiba NB505, Samsung Gravity
Extra Thanks!!!

Hello to all of you. I am now a proud owner of a red PE.

Prior to my purchase my google search landed me here, I read every forum multiple times about updating to Ermine.

I had trouble. I did everything exactly as instructed. Went to dustfeet.com and downloaded the PE update from Mark Rehorst. No dice.

Had brand new sandisk micro sd cards in 4g, and two 8g's. I also have older innovera 1gm usb.

I formatted six ways to sunday FAT, EXFAT, FAT 32. No dice.

What I figured out by breaking everything down to it's simplest form....is that I probably cannot read or I just clearly did not understand that the ONLY thing I needed to do was download the following file:

http://dustyfeet.com/edge/p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip

and plug in the USB and hold down the Menu and Rotate buttons and then turn the power on to the PE.

Abracadabra. I went from Dingo 1.6 to Android 2.2.1

In reading all of the forums I was under the misunderstanding that I needed the file that was 383mb. I really ONLY needed the 141mb.

My PE could see the larger file, but it did not want it.

I just never came accross the simple baby steps to acquire ermine. I had spent the last week doing all of the disecting by deleting the pdf,. instructions from the download but I clearly did not understand that I did not need the golden update that IS the dingo 1.6.

I am so delighted to finally have the update. A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!:
bumblebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #189
fred4231
Junior Member
fred4231 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: None
Uodate to 2.2 unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrlin View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Before I start my story I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread for all your advice and knowledge. Because of all of you, I was able to update my EE to 2.2 without asking any questions and only a marginal amount of frustration.
I've been trying for months to get my hands on a full-sized edge. Well I finally got one on e-bay for $335. It was a little more than I had planned to pay, but it came with an official black enTourage neoprene zipper case and an extra battery! Not to mention it came in the original packaging and it looks brand new, so I was even more excited at this point. Then I tried to update it and my excitement began to falter. I searched and searched and came across this forum.
Again I want to say thank you all for the information in this thread! I downloaded the update from http://dustyfeet.com/edge/ which also includes the golden update for EE and both update files for the PE. As per the instructions here, I tried updating with a USB several times with no success. I tried reformatting it back and forth many times between FAT and FAT32, and several different durations of holding down the Menu and Rotate buttons. Still no update. So I finally decided I was going to use the File Explorer to copy the update file to the physical storage on the EE and try that. However, the only way I could find to do that was to copy if from the SD card. So I used my computer to put the update on the SD card and put it back into my edge. I decided to try holding the buttons down on startup, just to see if it would update and VOILA!!!!

So if you are having trouble like I did, here is my advice.
1. Download the update from the site I posted above.
2. Make sure the filename is update.zip.
3. Instead of putting it on a USB, put it on an SD card.
My SD card is 16GB, has almost 9GB worth of PDF's on it,
and is formatted as FAT32.
4. With only the SD card inserted (no SIM or USB), press & hold the Menu and Rotate
buttons and then press the power button.
DO NOT RELEASE THE MENU AND ROTATE BUTTONS!
5. Continue to hold the Menu and Rotate buttons until you get the updating screen.
Once you see the update screen you can release the buttons and it will finish
updating on its own. I believe it was about 35-45 seconds. You may not have
to hold them that long, but that's what I did and it worked the first time.
6. The update takes less than 5 minutes and the couple of apps I had downloaded
was still there afterwords. Also the journal DOES still work after the update.

I don't mean to say that anyone else on this thread is wrong I just wanted to let people know that this is what I had to do to update mine. I'm looking forward to using my new EE and hoping that there will be some way to keep it up to date in the future. I have to learn everything about this device. It is my first "actual" e-reader, my first tablet, my first android (of any kind), and of courst my first edge. Thank you all again for your information on this forum and I hope that my contribution will help.
I put the update on a Mirco SD and went through the process. It showed updating and continued to process until I heard 2 beeps. When I looked at the screen it had the time 3/4 up the screen a little ways from the left and down the screen was a lock icon--showing unlock--on the left and the sound icon on the right. None of the buttons--menu, home,rotate, or back are working and I am dead in the water. Is there something I should do at this point?

PLEASE HELP

THANKS
fred4231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #190
brigittebardak
Junior Member
brigittebardak began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: edge dual book
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebum View Post
Hello to all of you. I am now a proud owner of a red PE.
I am so delighted to finally have the update. A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!:
were you able to install KIndle app? I finally installed fbreader. But I want Kindle as well. And is there a way to get some kinda of a gmail app? I tried for hours yesterday & it took me nowhere - always says: device is not compatible or download directly from the market. duuuh. I would if I could, ding-dong.

so now I feel like i got the device but still can't read books & check mail. my old nokia n90 is way older & much more productive.
brigittebardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #191
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 854
Karma: 1027478
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of France
Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4231 View Post
I put the update on a Mirco SD and went through the process. It showed updating and continued to process until I heard 2 beeps. When I looked at the screen it had the time 3/4 up the screen a little ways from the left and down the screen was a lock icon--showing unlock--on the left and the sound icon on the right. None of the buttons--menu, home,rotate, or back are working and I am dead in the water. Is there something I should do at this point?

PLEASE HELP

THANKS
What you are seeing is the standard Ermine unlock screen,

Did you try sliding the unlock icon to the right? Until you do that everything is, as it says, locked.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #192
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 854
Karma: 1027478
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of France
Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigittebardak View Post
were you able to install KIndle app? I finally installed fbreader. But I want Kindle as well. And is there a way to get some kinda of a gmail app? I tried for hours yesterday & it took me nowhere - always says: device is not compatible or download directly from the market. duuuh. I would if I could, ding-dong.

so now I feel like i got the device but still can't read books & check mail. my old nokia n90 is way older & much more productive.
Try reading some of the other threads in this forum and you should find the answers to your problems.

As I understand it the standard e-mail app will read your gmail - I can't say for sure as I don't have gmail but it reads all the mail from our mail server and our ISP without any problems.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #193
fred4231
Junior Member
fred4231 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: None
Unlocked and in business, Thanks
fred4231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #194
brigittebardak
Junior Member
brigittebardak began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Device: edge dual book
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Try reading some of the other threads in this forum and you should find the answers to your problems.

As I understand it the standard e-mail app will read your gmail - I can't say for sure as I don't have gmail but it reads all the mail from our mail server and our ISP without any problems.
well I read several thread & it looks like everyone who updated it can install kindle & stuff like that. I updated it (from here http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent) & I can't install kindle
brigittebardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #195
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Filark's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,411
Karma: 2463560
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California, USA
Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigittebardak View Post
well I read several thread & it looks like everyone who updated it can install kindle & stuff like that. I updated it (from here http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent) & I can't install kindle
Have you gone through the process of installing the Amazon Appstore? It's not needed for kindle, I think, but it makes installing kindle and a lot of other apps much easier.

To start, got to Amazon.com (the full site, not the mobile site) from any computer and follow the steps to get them to send you an email which you pick up from within your new eDGe. Once you click on the link in the email you will begin installing the Appstore. As you probably know by now, you pull down the notification bar at the top of the PE screen to complete the installation. Once that is done the Amazon Appstore will be in your App collection and when you click on it and sign in (which you only have to do once) you will find the kindle app in the list of most popular free apps -- or you can search for it.

Good luck! Hope you have no more troubles!

P.S. Turning your PE off (power down) and then on again solves multiple problems. Sometimes I think the poor thing just gets confused!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get Ermine on PE after registration Readerirv enTourage eDGe 1 05-22-2011 03:01 PM
Ermine/Froyo vs calibre Gunnerp245 enTourage eDGe 6 04-12-2011 10:00 PM
Ermine win/lose? Augaire enTourage eDGe 6 04-05-2011 07:55 PM
Newbie Questions about Froyo. Cgray Nook Developer's Corner 3 02-04-2011 12:33 PM
HTC HD2 running Froyo jocampo Android Devices 6 12-20-2010 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.