Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Hopkins
Hopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3G
[Editor Plugin] Traditional<->Simplified Chinese Convertor

Currently, the Chinese language is written with two different standardized character sets. The Chinese mainland and Singapore officially use the simplified set while other areas (such as Taiwan and Hong Kong) continue to largely use the traditional set. This plugin will allow users to convert between both formats.

Main Features
  • Convert eBooks written in traditional characters into simplified characters
  • Convert eBooks written in simplified characters into traditional characters
  • Convert regional words and idioms used in the source material to those words and idioms used in the destination material
  • Convert individual sections or the entire book
  • This is an editor plugin so users can make changes in case the conversion is not perfect

Testing Platforms
  • Windows 10 (64 bit) - Calibre version 2.60
  • Windows 7 (32 bit) - Calibre version 1.46
  • Linux Kubuntu 16.04 (64 bit) - Calibre 2.55
  • Amazon Paperwhite 3G

Note:
Special Notes:
  • Requires calibre v1.46 or higher
  • No testing has been done on OS X systems
  • Keep a copy of the original file. Round trip conversions (i.e. traditional->simplified->traditional) will probably not recover the original version. Also, since characters are being replaced, it's possible the font in your eBook reader may not have all the necessary glyphs

Version History:
  • Version 1.0.0 - 24 Jun 2016. Initial release
  • Version 1.1.0 - 27 Jun 2016. Improved speed
  • Version 1.2.0 - 29 Jun 2016. Correct conversion, turn on compression for the plugin zip file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	captioned_menu.png
Views:	148
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	149654  
Attached Files
File Type: zip TradSimpChinese.zip (436.8 KB, 4333 views)

Last edited by Hopkins; 06-29-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, I have added it to the plugin index.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
GameMonsters
GameMonsters doesn't litterGameMonsters doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color, ASUS, Galaxy
Wow. Thank you. I finally can check out simplified Chinese books from my library. I have been waiting for a useful tool like this. Thank you SO MUCH.
GameMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote