Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
xius
xius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
Automatic books tagging?

Hello!

I'm quite new k3 user and searching around didn't give me any real pointers so, maybe someone here would have a good suggestion?

K3 has 3GB user space. Seems logical to actually fill it, right? For last years I have accumulated a fair amount of ebooks and I don't really see a point of having it stored on a PC (other than for a backup) - I don't read it there.
My whole library got transfered to my k3 and thanks to a nifty plugin (Kindle Collections by meme, thanks!) reordered to the appropriate collections according to my Calibre tags.
Here comes a catch.
Why I'm able to add a book to the multiple collections while I'm unable to find a book by collections it is in? Is it even possible to somehow find out in which collections book is?
I have collections for different languages, genres and themes. I'd like to be able to search for a book which is in "English" and "Sci-fi" collection.
Basically, I thought collections work as tags. Obviously, they do not or am I mistaken?

I did find a way (partially) around this - I can use notes! This way searching works, although I need to use some prefix for "tags".
A major disadvantage of this is the required amount of work. Every single tag needs to be done on Kindle and its *keyboard*.
If I understand collections correctly, is there a tool or a script which handles Calibre tags to Kindle's notes conversion? (as a viable alternative for collections)
xius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Collections are indeed tags, but the Kindle currently offers no support for searching by multiple tags. This would be an enormously useful enhancement to have!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
xius

@HarryT: That means there is a hope! I can live with "can't search multiple tags" for a while. But then again: Amazon need several years to implement collections...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xius View Post
I did find a way (partially) around this - I can use notes! This way searching works, although I need to use some prefix for "tags".
A major disadvantage of this is the required amount of work. Every single tag needs to be done on Kindle and its *keyboard*.
If I understand collections correctly, is there a tool or a script which handles Calibre tags to Kindle's notes conversion? (as a viable alternative for collections)
Interesting idea. So what kind of notes do you put on your books? I'm fairly certain Calibre can read your book annotations, but I'm not sure about writing them. I'll have to look around and see if its at all possible to write out notes, and to do so without risking destroying anything, and then look to see if this can be/should be added to the plugin.

Thanks for the thanks
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
xius

@meme: Nah. I can't take any credit for this idea. I get it from here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46082

I'm mostly scifi reader, so dividing books into genres is a bit useless. I work with themes instead: (or sub-genres? I'm unsure where the line is drawn) Urban fantasy, Dystopia, Hard/Light sci fi, Alternate history... and so on.
I have this habit to get back to books I've read already. There are some specific tags which help me to navigate myself according to my current mood: Dark theme, Sense of wonder included, Disappointing ending... you get it.
Also, I have books in different languages and finally - I'd like to preserve my own ratings.

I've read e-books on my iPod Touch before and Kindle seemed like almost inevitable evolution. Don't get me wrong - it's great to read on it. But I find annoying to not being able to use it as a portable personal library. After all the device is designed for it.
Calibre can fetch annotations from Kindle (I didn't try yet) but not vice versa (I didn't find how). If you'd be able to make it somehow, I'm sure many readers will thank you in awe!