Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Buntington
Buntington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Books randomly disappeared from Kindle after battery ran out?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem before. I have had my Kindle (latest generation, wifi only) since August of 2010 and have had no problems with it. I had read with wireless turned off for a few days last week, and then I didn't use it this week until today. When I tried to turn it on, naturally, the battery had run out. So I plugged it in to charge. After it had charged, I turned it on, only to find that about half of the books I had on it had just disappeared. I plugged it in to the USB port to check, and the book files (e.g., azw) had just vanished from the folders as though they had never been there. Is the Kindle's hard drive failing after less than a year? I did purchase an extended warranty, so I'll use it if I need to...
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You need to connect via Whispernet. Anything that has "disappeared" will be available in your archive.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Buntington
Buntington began at the beginning.

Some of the books i had purchased from Amazon did appear again when I enabled the wireless, but others were books or pdf journal articles that I had put on the Kindle myself via USB, and half of those randomly disappeared as well. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if it suggests that there is a problem with the Kindle hard drive.
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
The Kindle doesn't have a hard drive - it uses flash memory.

It's certainly possible that you have a corrupt file system - have you ever disconnected your Kindle from your PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool? I'd suggest running a scan on the drive to check this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.hedwig inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 WiFi, iPad Air, Kobo Glo, iPod Touch 5
I also suggest that you back up your amazon and non-amazon purchases by using book management software such as Calibre. That way if this happens again, you will have everything available to put back on your Kindle.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool re-add from archived items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntington View Post
Some of the books i had purchased from Amazon did appear again when I enabled the wireless, but others were books or pdf journal articles that I had put on the Kindle myself via USB, and half of those randomly disappeared as well. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if it suggests that there is a problem with the Kindle hard drive.
don't just enable the wireless, go to archived items from home (on the last page) and re-add the missing books.
--
Alan
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In fact you don't even need to use a third-party app like Calibre if most or all of your books were not bought from Amazon. Just hook up the Kindle to your PC, make ALL folders visible and then simply copy the entire contents of the Kindle to a backup folder on your PC. If ever your Kindle needs refreshing, simply copy the whole caboodle back again (overwriting the originals) and Voila! Easy peasy.... Many on this forum have reported that this works a treat. In any case, safe computing means always having at least two copies of all your data at any given time.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote