Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
crankypants
Zealot
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
Another EPUB validator?

Is there another EPUB validator besides the IDPF one? The IDPF validator error messages are pretty cryptic and don't really indicate things to look for.

Thank you.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
There is FlightCrew, but that one hasn't been updated in quite a while. The ePUBCheck is the only one that matters to most validating services.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 06-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I use the desktop version of Pagina epubchecker, and I think it is easier to understand than Flight Crew. Desktop version needs Java installed. If interested, download from here: https://github.com/IDPF/epubcheck

There is also a css validator here: http://www.css-validator.org/
That only looks at the css, nothing else.

The same site will also validate your (x)html: http://validator.w3.org/

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 06-23-2016 at 09:22 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
Is there another EPUB validator besides the IDPF one? The IDPF validator error messages are pretty cryptic and don't really indicate things to look for.
Calibre Editor has a built-in error fixing tool that can fix some basic problems.

1. Open the book with Calibre Editor.
2. Click Run check followed by Try to correct all fixable errors automatically.
3. Click Re-run check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I use the desktop version of Pagina epubchecker, and I think it is easier to understand than Flight Crew.
BTW, I've created a Sigl ePubCheck plugin that uses exactly the same software as Pagina epubchecker and will of course display the same error messages. (It works even with ancient Sigil versions such as your 0.8.6 copy.)
Running the plugin from within Sigil also has the advantage that you won't have to save your epub first if you implement any changes, because it'll check the updated files as they're being displayed in Sigil.
For example, if you get a strange epubcheck error message, you could try to change something to make the message go away and immediately re-run the ePubCheck plugin without having to save your changes first. If your edit has fixed your problem, you can save your file, if it didn't simply undo the change and try something else.
Another advantage is that it behaves like FlightCrew; i.e., you can click on an error message to go to the file location.

Note that if you haven't installed any other Sigil plugin yet, you'll also need to install Python. (Select Python 3.4.3.2.)
Of course, if you decide to upgrade to the latest Sigil version, you won't have to install Python, because it comes with its own interpreter.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I also recommend running your CSS through CSSLint.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Doitsu -- thanks for the tip about the plug-in.

Having tried Sigil 0.9.5 "in extremis", as it were, I see there was little to be frightened of. So I will probably ease into using it always.

But Sigil 0.8.6 (one year old) is not anywhere near an antique yet. I am a die-hard user of EVERYTHING till it just can't stay on its feet any longer. (Part of my old mother's teaching: "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without")
Hey, my graphics editor is 12 years old, and doing fine.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
I also recommend running your CSS through CSSLint.
Yet another shameless plug: for that validator I've also created a Sigil plugin.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, validator