Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen), Kindle Fire HD6
Calibre, iBooks, Yosemite, and Kindle

I received iTunes gift cards for Christmas that I would like to convert into books, however, I've never purchased a book from Apple/iTunes before, and after a quick search, I saw there were some issues with the previous OSX.
My question, though, is the reverse of what I saw presented in that case.

I would like to know how to get files from iBooks to Calibre? I would then be converting and transferring those books to my Kindle Paperwhite (and/or Kindle Fire).

Please & Thank You.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is no easy way to get eBooks from iBooks into Calibre - you can normally only go the other way.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is no easy way to get eBooks from iBooks into Calibre - you can normally only go the other way.
Which is why 90+ people looked at this thread... whistled... and walked away, I guess! lol

:Sigh: Thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Best bet is to buy movies or music.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Best bet is to buy movies or music.
Yeah.. Music. Thats where they usually go. I just wish I had sent out more Amazon vibes than iTunes vibes this year..lol
Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yeah.. Music. Thats where they usually go. I just wish I had sent out more Amazon vibes than iTunes vibes this year..lol
Before you spend the gift cards, see if anyone might want to swap Amazon for iTunes.

I know I most likely would not be able to use an iTunes gift card. I would be able to use an Amazon gift card. I don't spend much at iTunes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Which is why 90+ people looked at this thread... whistled... and walked away, I guess!
Pretty much. I have only converted one iBook to ePub. It was the Swift Programming Language manual, and I suspect that it was an abnormality (e.g. no DRM, which is atypical for ebooks).

For what it's worth, the process looked like this:
  1. Find where the books are stored. (They're stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books.)
  2. Figure out which cryptic file name corresponded to the book. (Easy in my case, since I only had one book.)
  3. Compress the contents of the directory using zip, ensuring the extension was epub.
  4. Import the book into Calibre.

I wouldn't count on this working for any old ebook, particularly purchased ebooks, since this manual was borderline promotional material for a new technology that Apple was introducing. Yet it does demonstrate how complex the process is for the simplest case.
BWinmill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
umi4ebooks
umi4ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire / hd
Thanks a lot, "Bwinmill". I posted the same problem yesterday in a Calibre room and had failed until now because of a small detail I did not know- to name the zip file .epub....

I tried using the zip/rar option from Calibre instead and achieved strange results.

Thanks!
umi4ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Pretty much. I have only converted one iBook to ePub. It was the Swift Programming Language manual, and I suspect that it was an abnormality (e.g. no DRM, which is atypical for ebooks).

For what it's worth, the process looked like this:
  1. Find where the books are stored. (They're stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books.)
  2. Figure out which cryptic file name corresponded to the book. (Easy in my case, since I only had one book.)
  3. Compress the contents of the directory using zip, ensuring the extension was epub.
  4. Import the book into Calibre.

I wouldn't count on this working for any old ebook, particularly purchased ebooks, since this manual was borderline promotional material for a new technology that Apple was introducing. Yet it does demonstrate how complex the process is for the simplest case.
Thank you for the breakdown... I think I will stick with Music via iTunes for now.

You were able to help someone else, though, which is always cool!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by umi4ebooks View Post
Thanks a lot, "Bwinmill". I posted the same problem yesterday in a Calibre room and had failed until now because of a small detail I did not know- to name the zip file .epub....

I tried using the zip/rar option from Calibre instead and achieved strange results.

Thanks!
You're welcome. Just out of curiosity, did you encounter books that couldn't be converted to ePub? My sample was small, and all freebies. (I tried some other books after posting, but I don't know what Apple's policy is with respect to DRM on ebooks.)
BWinmill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
umi4ebooks
umi4ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire / hd
i just tried one freebie i desparately missed on my kindle. For DRM protected content i would be very surprised if it would work.
Though the learning was a quite interesting one on this example, my conclusion now is to avoid apple in the tool chain for books entirely.
For music i still use apple as a long time ipod user. This tool also does stupid things, but at least it doesn't create full proprietary and hidden formats. For now.
umi4ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
gilbert1111
gilbert1111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
BWinmill's excellent advice works. Just to be clear - leave the final extant as "zip," and do not convert to epub. That was an error I made. Here's another tip. If you add some books like I did today via Bookbub (ww.bookbub.com). I then go to the inside library folder, sort by DATE, and work on the books indicated TODAY. Once in Calibre they will have the proper author and title.
gilbert1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
LadyKate
Addict
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
There is always regifting. If you have a music lover in the family it would make a great gift. Or a classic movie buff might enjoy as well.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote