Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Nowaydisnowork
Nowaydisnowork began at the beginning.

Device: noneatm
Calibre freezes computer when started

Hello,

Everytime I start calibre it crashes when I start it.
I installed Calibre 32-Bit, 64-Bit and the portable version so far.
Between the installs I always deleted the Calibre folder in Appdata/Roaming.
It was of no use.
Anybody have an idea why this could be?
I am using a lenovo Flex 2-15 and Windows 8(64-Bit) if it helps in any way.
I will of course provide further information, if you need it to help me.

Thank you for your time
Nowaydisnowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Try running
Code:
calibre-debug --g
in a comand prompt.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Nowaydisnowork

Gives me an error. Says it is an ambigous option. What does -g do ?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Nowaydisnowork

When I start the debug-exe from the graphical interface it says the following:

Failed to load custom tweaks file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 466, in read_tweaks
TypeError: expected string without null bytes
Welcome to the interactive calibre shell!

>>>

Has anything gone wrong there?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Nowaydisnowork

@kovidgoyal
Checked that allready. Nothing on there is the case for me.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Nowaydisnowork

I want to say sorry. I did not read it careful enough. Apparently something in my autostart, is not working well together with it.
I will update you guys when I find out what program it was.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Try running
Code:
calibre-debug --g
in a comand prompt.
Is that a typo, because the proper command is
Code:
calibre-debug -g
with one dash. Or you can use the fully-qualified option, "--gui".

Hence the OP's error message.

@Nowaydisnowork, you can try again, it might say something interesting. There are different reasons it might fail.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Yes, that's right. Sorry
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
yvonne63
yvonne63 began at the beginning.

Device: none
calibre freezes computer when started

I have the same problem. Calibre used to work fine, but now the computer freezes everytime I try to open Calibre. I tried re-installing Calibre, I ran several anti-virusprograms but nothing works. I tried the debug -g thing and guess what: the computer froze.
Any ideas?
yvonne63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
BetterRed
iconoclast/null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne63 View Post
I have the same problem. Calibre used to work fine, but now the computer freezes everytime I try to open Calibre. I tried re-installing Calibre, I ran several anti-virusprograms but nothing works. I tried the debug -g thing and guess what: the computer froze.
Any ideas?
@yvonne63 - did you eliminate the possible causes documented in the FAQ, and follow the process therein if its not a known cause - see Kovids post above (# 4) for the link.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #12
yvonne63

Dear BetterRed, I read the FAQ and checked all that I could think of. I havo no external device connected, nothing new installed (only updates from windows and McAfee). This is still the same computer with the same software.
The only other weird thing is dat HitmanPro gets stuck at 99%, while scanning something that's called windows/write.exe. Could that be it? I ran malwarebytes, but nothing found.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:26 AM   #13
BetterRed
iconoclast/null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne63 View Post
Dear BetterRed, I read the FAQ and checked all that I could think of. I havo no external device connected, nothing new installed (only updates from windows and McAfee). This is still the same computer with the same software.
The only other weird thing is dat HitmanPro gets stuck at 99%, while scanning something that's called windows/write.exe. Could that be it? I ran malwarebytes, but nothing found.
@yvonne63 FYI: windows/write is MS Wordpad

Maybe you should run a System File Check (sfc /scannow) see ==>> Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Antivirus programs can cause problems. Is Hitman Pro running concurrently with Calibre - I thought it was something you ran on demand. If it is running in the background I suggest you terminate it with Task Manager and try calibre.

The only thing I can suggest is to disable everything possible in start up (CCleaner is excellent for this), restart and see if calibre freezes - if it doesn't then we know its something in start up. If so, I would use a binary chop process to find the culprit - again CCleaner is the go.

If its not - then are there any strange devices ? Watcom mice, and tablets have caused problems

Have you tried running calibre in Safe mode - the msconfig utility has a tab to restart in Safe mode (easier than hitting F5 or is it F3 at the right nanosecond at boot time)

Added : Could you try the Portable Version - you can install it anywhere, but I suggest not Program Files or Program Files (86). It won't interfere with your installed version or libraries.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2016 at 04:45 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
yvonne63

Dear BetterRed, thanks for your help. I did the system file check (no problems found), disabling all programs in start-up and then finding the culprit by trial and error was a bit too much for an amateur like me.
Calibre dóes work in safe mode and your last suggestion, portable version, works OK as well.
So my problem is solved.
Thanks again!