Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #91
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
New Nook starts shipping June 10th, available for pre-order now.

Lynch says B&N is looking into international opportunities ("lots of interest from folks abroad for their devices") but nothing to announce today.
Touchscreen, as expected, uses Neonode infrared technology. Same technology is in Sony Readers and new Kobo.
Device runs on Android 2.1.
New feature: FastPage allows you to zoom forward in book.
Next month launching MyNook, site for sharing with friends.
Built-in WiFi, no 3G.
Shopping experience has been upgraded on device.
6 different fonts, 7 different sizes.
Original Nook pricing is now $119 and $169 (for 3G version) until supplies last.

New Nook, 6-inch Pearl e-ink touch-screen, 7.5 ounces, battery life up to 2 months, built-in Wi-Fi (no 3G), $139, available June 10.
Not much there. It sounds like Kobo wins the cool new device with a more serious revamp award.

That said, I would get the Nook over the Kobo because of the ease of using the BN bookstore as well as the Kobo store.

The touchscreen does nothing for me so I am staying with the Kindle. Nothing else really differentiates the devices.

Amazon will probably drop the price on the WiFi device and the KSO device. It will be interesting to see what Amazon announces in the coming months.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #92
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Ohh, this is fun, I can't wait to see what Amazon does now.... although I was hoping for a new Dx....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #93
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Not much there. It sounds like Kobo wins the cool new device with a more serious revamp award.

That said, I would get the Nook over the Kobo because of the ease of using the BN bookstore as well as the Kobo store.

The touchscreen does nothing for me so I am staying with the Kindle. Nothing else really differentiates the devices.

Amazon will probably drop the price on the WiFi device and the KSO device. It will be interesting to see what Amazon announces in the coming months.

between the kobo and the nook it's going to come down to internal features.
The two month battery life was an eye opener.
also interesting to see the page turning effect. It claims 80% less flash.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
Quote:
My KSO is already free, plus I'm now earning money on it. Soon, I'll have enough to buy a NOOKtouch.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #95
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Gizmodo:
Quote:
And speaking of the bookstore, Nook launched a feature called Nook Friends, which lets you follow other Nook users you know, to see what they're reading and recommending. Plus, you can lend books to one another.
I wonder whether they'll get less stringent with lending constraints. Current lend-to-friends features of Nook and Kindle are nearly worthless.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #96
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Quote:
I like how it looks. It has character. And it works beautifully. I am getting ready to loan mine out to an unemployed friend so he can read what books I have.
I was fine with my K1 as well. I only upgraded to a K3 because the screen was so much better.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #97
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I bet that Kindle will drop the keyboard with the next round of releases. I love this. Each has to one-up the other. We're going to be broke trying to keep up. I am definitely going to be pre-ordering the new Nook Touch.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
This is the Nook I was wanting to buy last fall. When B&N failed to refresh the Classic, I bought a Kindle instead.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #99
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
between the kobo and the nook it's going to come down to internal features.
The two month battery life was an eye opener.
also interesting to see the page turning effect. It claims 80% less flash.
The nook APPEARS to have physical page turn buttons, which beats the kobo for me. I'll have to see it in person for other matters.
Of course the nook also has a normal dictionary feature. If Kobo's still only works with kepub books, that would be another automatic win for the nook for me.

Man, I wish I was wealthy and had more leisure time. So many toys to play with and books to read....

But until I get a windfall, my Kindle's free 3G web access and physical keyboard still keeps me happy having it as my primary reader.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #100
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I bet that Kindle will drop the keyboard with the next round of releases. I love this. Each has to one-up the other. We're going to be broke trying to keep up. I am definitely going to be pre-ordering the new Nook Touch.
I would be as well, but given we need new siding and paint on the house and some updates to do inside, I may be waiting until Christmas for this one.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #101
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Up for pre-order now...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #102
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes the nook has physical page turn buttons so you can use either the touch screen or the buttons. buttons are also placed on BOTH vertical sides of display which i know is a big deal for some folks that dont like having to rotate the device to use with the other hand
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #103
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It looks very similar to the Sony models to me but at an awesome price point.

It seems like low cost is winning the battle over 3G.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #104
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they dont say which touch it is using so its probably capacitive. if it was the IR I think they would say it as they would probably have to mention the partner provided the IR
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #105
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
they dont say which touch it is using so its probably capacitive. if it was the IR I think they would say it as they would probably have to mention the partner provided the IR
I thought they did say in the live chat that it was IR.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote