Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
New Reader with great pdf-support: Mantano Reader (like aldiko+ezpdf)

I just found a new reader that basically is like aldiko or moon-reader with great PDF support.
It has all the pdf-features that aldiko lacks (zoom-level fixing, margin-cutting, sketches, notes) and works great on my Tab.

It is quite expensive (10€) but if you enjoy books on your android-device this is by far the most advanced reader if you need pdf-support!

I cannot comment on the qualities regarding epubs and such since all my books are in pdf, but maybe someone else can.

http://www.mantano.com/en/products/android-reader/
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Archos 101, Acer Iconia A500, HTC Incredible S...
Thank you for your comments

My name is Karina, I'm the Project Director of Mantano.
I'm very glad you're satisfied with the Mantano Reader.

We are working on new features.

Please do not hesitate to send us your wishes and comments. We will do our best to meet your expectations !

Greetings from France,
Karina
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I would certainly try it, but I'm not comfortable paying $15 with only 15 minutes to evaluate it if I want a refund.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I would certainly try it, but I'm not comfortable paying $15 with only 15 minutes to evaluate it if I want a refund.
Yeah, at that price it's hard to commit without some real time to evaluate.

@Karina, does it support both forms of Adobe DRM (ID based and Password Based)?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think a 30-day free trial would do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
richetts
richetts began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader (R101)
They have only had 5-10 installs from Android Market.. One of the reviewers couldn't install proper and requested refund.. Not a good way to start. If the price was say 1 Euro then they would most likely have 100+ installs per week and already surpassed current income. Hard to recommend to anyone when I already have 2 paid apps to do the same thing as this one app and both were cheaper combined to buy..
richetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Dear all,

Sorry for the late reply, as you can guess we are working very hard these days. I will make a group reply.

First, we just released an update this morning. The size of the package has been dramatically reduced: this should allow more people installing it on devices with few free space or limited capacity.
We are preparing another update which will include Pan&Zoom function for PDFs, this will provide great reading comfort, specially for research papers which are often presented in 2-column layouts. This should be soon available.

We are preparing a support forum on our website, it is not ready yet: currently the safest way to stay in touch with us can be either through this thread (thank you again to Schmolch for having opened it), or by sending us direct emails on our contact address.

We know our price is pretty high compared to other applications, but we are trying to build a really powerful software and we hope to develop a customer base which appreciates it.

About the request for evaluation software, we are paying it a high attention and we'll soon provide more news about it.

@ AnemicOak: yes we do support both forms of Adobe DRM, ID and password based.

Very best regards and see you soon there !

Karina
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Looks like there's now an introductory pricing of €3.99 which is more reasonable, but still IMO too expensive given its semi-trial status...

Will keep an eye on this and wait for more comments first. How about an introductory video...?

Cheers.

P.S. BTW, how are the annotations on PDF and EPUB accessible on desktop (PC/Mac)...?

Last edited by loyukfai; 05-18-2011 at 07:17 PM.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Karina, if you want a very productive and useful application, take GoodReader from iOS for iPad and do all features that program have.

But do not do a "fantasy" file manager as iAnnotatePDF (the second best PDF utility in iOS).

I'm currently not using my ICONIA TAB due lack of a good PDF Viewer/Annotator. RepliGo seems good but it lacks some essentials features like margin cropping...

When I go gome I will purchase your application and test it. I would like to do now at work but my Iconia has exhausted the battery. I forgot to put to charge last night.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Some feedback:

No file manager
Cannot read any PDF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It shows a little "error" window and nothing happens!
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Karina
Enthusiast

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We just released the 1.1.3 version, which fixes the miscellaneous problems reported by the first users, and globally improves the stability. We've further improved the PDF support, with pan and zoom, screen rotation, as well as 1-column display with a double-tap. This allows comfortably reading even on a small smartphone.
Introductory videos will be shortly published, too.
A few personal answers now:
@loyukfai: currently, the annotations on PDFs are not stored inside the PDF itself but they are compatible with Adobe Digital Editions. We are thinking about inserting the annotations inside the PDFs themselves, this will be for future versions (no schedule yet).
@rfog: thank you for your testing and suggestions. You could not open your PDFs? If you've got errors, I think the latest update should probably fix them. About "margin-crop", this is a feature we have (you can manually define the crop area). We also provide an "auto-crop", which detects the margins.
One question: why do you say "no file manager" ? We didn't include one since there are already many good ones, don't you think so? Currently in our application you can "import" books into the database, but not move them. When you press the "Refresh" button in the Library, the application scans the SD card for new books. The "import" does not copy the files, it simply analyzes them. Do you think an integrated File Manager would be a good feature to include?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Karina
Enthusiast

FYI, we've set up a Support center, where you can post feature requests and submit tickets: http://mantano.zendesk.com
(Zendesk is currently down, but it should be back soon )

Karina
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
pmlawson
pmlawson began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I just want to say to Karina. I think it is excellent that a representative from the company has taken her time to interact with the end user! This is an excellent indication of the support customers will receive, as well as how the company receives input from the end user! Bravo to you and to Mantano!
pmlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
@Karina: Interesting, so I can sync/export the annotations back to desktop and access them in Adobe Digital Editions...?

However, does that means freehand annotations are not supported...?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Karina
Enthusiast

Hello!

Good news: following your previous suggestions, we just released a fully functional (7 days) trial version!

@pmlawson:
Quote:
I just want to say to Karina. I think it is excellent that a representative from the company has taken her time to interact with the end user! This is an excellent indication of the support customers will receive, as well as how the company receives input from the end user! Bravo to you and to Mantano!
Thank you :-) Yes, we'll try to be as as responsive as we can! This will not always be easy, but we hope to keep frequently in touch.

@loyukfai:
Quote:
@Karina: Interesting, so I can sync/export the annotations back to desktop and access them in Adobe Digital Editions...?
However, does that means freehand annotations are not supported...?
Yes you can sync/export the annotations to desktop and access them in ADE. Currently it does not work with freehand annotations.

Cheers,

Karina